U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,054,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Easy. When sweet tea starts showing up in any and all restaurants.
Especially at a Waffle House.

I luv Stuckey's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 04:55 PM

10,509 posts, read 8,425,023 times
Kentucky's hispanic population has increased enormously in the last fifteen years. Many work on thoroughbred horse farms and at the race tracks, while others work in construction and landscaping.

I know of a number of cross memorials on I-75 in Kentucky, plus others on I-64, I-65, and the Bluegrass Parkway.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,536,799 times
You have hit the south when you start seeing black people in sizable numbers in small towns and other rural areas. Only in the south do you see black folks everywhere-small towns, mid size cities, and big cities.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM

14,969 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
You have hit the south when you start seeing black people in sizable numbers in small towns and other rural areas. Only in the south do you see black folks everywhere-small towns, mid size cities, and big cities.
Not always. Some towns in north Alabama are less than 10% black, yet some towns in the south/central part of the state are over 60% black. Pretty much the same way in Georgia.

East Tennessee doesn't have many black people either.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,536,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Not always. Some towns in north Alabama are less than 10% black, yet some towns in the south/central part of the state are over 60% black. Pretty much the same way in Georgia.

East Tennessee doesn't have many black people either.

True, I should have said the parts of the south of !-20. There are not that many black people in Georgia north of the Atlanta metro, but once you get south of Atlanta most of the towns have a lot of black folks. Either way that isn't something you see that much in other regions.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:13 AM

10,779 posts, read 9,415,565 times
I can only think of one feature of the South that uniformly identifies the South from the landscape alone and that is the loblolly pine. I can't think of any other feature that you can solely identify the South by. When you see the loblolly pine, you have entered the South. This applies coming east from Texas or south from Maryland. Loblolly pine = the South.

And the loblolly pine is beautiful!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM

582 posts, read 776,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Indeed! My house is entirely surrounded by them, one often has a bald eagle on it. They like falling on my house though.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,798,386 times
Neither black folks or loblolly pines are a constant. There are plenty of areas in the south where you won't find a great deal of either.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 PM

10,509 posts, read 8,425,023 times
Loblolly pines are wonderful trees - but they don't grow in Kentucky. Yet other than for the three counties of Northern Kentucky (directly across the Ohio River from Cincinnati), Kentucky is a culturally Southern state.

We do have other pines which are native to Kentucky, however.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 AM

811 posts, read 823,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I can only think of one feature of the South that uniformly identifies the South from the landscape alone and that is the loblolly pine. I can't think of any other feature that you can solely identify the South by. When you see the loblolly pine, you have entered the South. This applies coming east from Texas or south from Maryland. Loblolly pine = the South.

There are very few loblollies in Tennessee. You'll see some in southwestern Tennessee near Memphis, and a few near Chattanooga, and that's about it.

Kentucky is loblolly-less.

The mountain regions of Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, and Alabama are practically free of them.

North-Central Alabama is also practically free of them. Texas outside of east-central and southeast Texas also doesn't have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.