U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,103,688 times

Advertisements

When you go to a restaurant, ask the waitress for sweet tea & don't get a blank stare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 PM

582 posts, read 776,486 times
I've constantly learned throughout my life that things I consider typical American things are actually supposed to be Southern things, so i'm not too sure how one would tell, and mostly I just attribute any changes to state differences rather than the North/South. Theres a bunch of southern chains grouped right on the southern side of the Mason-Dixon on the road I take up to PA but I think it's more funny than meaningful.

There's also a problem of perspective/origin. For example the "no plates in front" thing: if you're traveling from Maryland, travel North, East, or West and you'll hit one plate states. But go south and there must be two plates.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:34 AM

631 posts, read 1,068,751 times
Well for me it's when you start seeing the tall pine trees, I believe they're called longleaf pines. Going south you'll begin to see them in abundance in central Virginia. Coming from the west you'll see them in east Texas. Both are pretty good boundaries for the south.

Now going south from a place like Ohio is trickier. You won't see those trees in Northern Kentucky or West Virginia, but I would still say these places are southern.

I think Stuckeys is a good demarcation for the deep south. Driving south from Atlanta you begin to see them south of Macon. That's when I know I'm in south Georgia, which makes the Atlanta area look like Massachusetts.

Native American names are everywhere, but when you begin to see Cherokee or Creek names you'll know you're in the south. Look for names that sound like Chattahoochee, Nacoochee, Etowah and Chattanooga, as opposed to Narragansett or Chatuaqua. This is probably a very weak demarcation

Baptist churches are everywhere in the south. And when you start to see some right off the highway, you'll know you've made it.

Oh, and kudzu on the sides of the interstate.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Do you have Krispy Kreme doughnuts in the Northern states?
They're very successful in the Northern states, have been for many years! They've even expanded as far north as Canada now.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,412,818 times
Easy. When sweet tea starts showing up in any and all restaurants.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:17 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
We've done Chicago to the south multiple times and we always say we've "made it" when we see huge crosses along the interstate and mega churches. Maybe it's just the specific interstates we drive that tend to have them along the road!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:01 AM

14,992 posts, read 31,366,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Well for me it's when you start seeing the tall pine trees, I believe they're called longleaf pines. Going south you'll begin to see them in abundance in central Virginia. Coming from the west you'll see them in east Texas. Both are pretty good boundaries for the south.
Those are Loblolly pines, and they're pretty much all over the entire South. You see more Longleaf pines down towards coastal SC, south GA & AL, and the FL panhandle.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post

There's also a problem of perspective/origin. For example the "no plates in front" thing: if you're traveling from Maryland, travel North, East, or West and you'll hit one plate states. But go south and there must be two plates.

In other words, there is no absolute indicator that unerringly applies in every single circumstance.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,925,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you are on I-95, Fredericksburg, Virginia will start showing Civil War battlegrounds. I think that would be a clue. But on second thought, I am sure the North has these also, just different colored uniforms.

Do you have Krispy Kreme doughnuts in the Northern states? Cheerwine soft drinks would be another clue. They are red and they are good. I believe there is a Harris Teeter Grocery Store in D. C. I have been shopping at Harris Teeter for about 45 years or longer. Bojangles, Chick-Fil-A, Hardee's would be fast food places. I am sure there are more.

Then sweet tea and gravy biscuits, chicken fried steak, and both corn bread and biscuits served with the meals. We are getting more businesses from the North and they never give enough bread with their meals.

Does the North have plantation houses?

I am having a hard time answering this because I haven't been much past D. C. if at all.

Probably the biggest clue will be the difference in food. I made the mistake of asking for a sausage biscuit in a restaurant in Ohio. They didn't know what I was talking about. I looked at their menu, ordered a couple of biscuits and a couple of sausage patties, cut the bread open and put the meat in and told the waitress, "This is a sausage biscuit." LOL We put everything in biscuits down here.

This is a little more rare these days because the "guys" word has made its appearance already, but when someone says "Y'all," you are here.
The OP specified things that can be seen from the highway...I don't think you could pick up most of this from the highway.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:53 AM

582 posts, read 776,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Oh, and kudzu on the sides of the interstate.
Perhaps the "Kudzu Line"?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.