U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,468 posts, read 14,312,551 times

Advertisements

Back to the POINT OF THIS THREAD,
what about those memorial crosses at the site of accidents? Is that a southern thing or do they do that everywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 02:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,078,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
what about those memorial crosses at the site of accidents? Is that a southern thing or do they do that everywhere?
That's more a latin american thing. I see it far more in the west than I do in the south.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM

10,509 posts, read 8,428,809 times
Really?? They're all over Kentucky...most seem to be placed by the deceased's family and friends, and when names occasionally appear on the crosses, they are not notably Hispanic - at least, not around here.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Really?? They're all over Kentucky...most seem to be placed by the deceased's family and friends, and when names occasionally appear on the crosses, they are not notably Hispanic - at least, not around here.
Well, Kentucky doesn't have any latinos. Not in any share anyways.

I used to see them all the time in southern California, Arizona, etc. Mostly placed by Mexicans (go to Mexico and you can't go a mile stretch lol without seeing them) but I actually haven't seen them in Kentucky and I crisscrossed the state on the 75. Maybe I missed them, but they definitely are not as common in Kentucky or the rest of the south as they are out west.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:58 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,925,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Going back, I see that you edited your post (after I had already replied to it) from "intown" to "downtown and Midtown". That's how we came to disagree.
Okay, I'm glad you located the problem. Can we be friends now?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM

797 posts, read 1,159,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I see those little memorial crosses in Louisiana and New Orleans too. I dont think it is mostly hispanics that do it either nor have I ever associated that with hispanics.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:40 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,018,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I see those little memorial crosses in Louisiana and New Orleans too. I dont think it is mostly hispanics that do it either nor have I ever associated that with hispanics.
They are all over the place in CA. Two are on my block alone (One suicide, and a cyclist killed by an idiot on a cell phone)

Not a southern thing, not a hispanic thing

Old 08-20-2012, 06:08 PM

811 posts, read 823,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Huh? Going west from the Mississippi on I-20, there's nothing but trees all the way to Tyler, Texas, and it easily looks like most of the southeast.

I-20 through East Texas and Louisiana is an almost five hour drive. I'm not sure how you managed to overlook that.
Well, it does become mostly farmland in northeast Louisiana in the Delta region. Once you approach Monroe, Louisiana, the trees come back, and they're there all the way to Tyler or Dallas area.

You enter the "South" along I-20 in Odessa, Texas. That is where you begin to see people with southern accents.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 PM

582 posts, read 776,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
They're all over Maryland and Virginia and nonexistent in Central PA. Other than that I do not know.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
They are all over the place in CA. Two are on my block alone (One suicide, and a cyclist killed by an idiot on a cell phone)

Not a southern thing, not a hispanic thing
The vast majority of who put them up in socal are the Mexicans and other latinos. It's really a catholic kind of rememberence so I'm not surprised that you might find that kind of ritual in say, Louisiana. But I haven't seen them in any kind of quantity in the rest of the south so I'm going to keep my eyes open. They are definitely more prevalent in the west though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.