Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonJohn View Post
I feel sorry for southerners. They have yankees, hispanics and asians invading them. No wonder they are scared about losing their local culture.

They created some amazing scenery in places like Charleston, Richmond, Savannah and probably others I can't think of right now.
Louisville, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Birmingham, Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Memphis, Mobile...well, you get the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
When you start seeing these....

Repent | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
When you start seeing these....

Yeah, you never see that anywhere else...like on the streets of NYC.

repent | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Repent! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Repent, Union Square | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
repent! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 08-18-2012, 06:48 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,759 times
When you see a WAFFLE HOUSE every other exit.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
So let's say you're on a roadtrip from Michigan to Florida, or maybe California to New York, or maybe even Massachusetts to Savannah. Based on only what you can see from the highway (restaurants, gas stations, place names, homes along the highway, etc) how do you know when you're in the cultural south?
A good marker would be Virginia on I-81. You know you are in the Appalachian South when the gas stations advertise the price of gas just as large as they do the price of cigarettes on the big interstate sign.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:45 PM

581 posts, read 969,228 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for southerners. They have yankees, hispanics and asians invading them. No wonder they are scared about losing their local culture.
Imagine how we feel in places where people don't seem to think we exist. Much of Maryland is fully southern and most of the rest has hints of southerness, but overall the heavily transplanted, populated, and mostly non-southern center of the state dominates the state image so much that people forget the rest of the state is any different. Most conceptions of Maryland seem to be from folks who never left I-95.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:32 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,815 times
Well, the southern line is when you start to see gas stations with their tall signs advertising prices and such.

It depends on what road you're on. On US 301, you see southern characteristics like what was said as far N as Waldorf, MD and until a few years ago, even farther than that.

On 95 it is probably Fredericksburg. You stop seeing the major NE based stores (like Wegmans, who doesn't have a store south of there), and you begin to see more and more Waffle Houses and other Southern chains.

It's very quick though. Within 30-40 miles, you're definitely in the South. Also that's the line for snow. North of there, snow is a nuisance in most places (except in maybe the Washington area). South, a few flakes messes everything up.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
As others have noted: religious billboards, swamps, pine trees, more pickup trucks, generally slower drivers, nothing but country music and religious stations on the radio, etc...

Roads in the south will tend to be maintained better as well.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:47 PM

581 posts, read 969,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
As others have noted: religious billboards, swamps, pine trees, more pickup trucks, generally slower drivers, nothing but country music and religious stations on the radio, etc...

Roads in the south will tend to be maintained better as well.
I agree with all of these with some exceptions of course. For example country music and pickup trucks is also a very Central PA, and really just rural thing, though recently less so.

The road situation is very striking across the Mason-Dixon. You come up through NC, VA, and MD and the roads look fine, but I swear the instant you cross into Pennsylvania or even Delaware the roads just get plain awful in comparison.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,105 times
Quote:

They created some amazing scenery in places like Charleston, Richmond, Savannah and probably others I can't think of right now.
I think we'll manage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.