U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 AM

107 posts, read 175,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
You pretty much described Des Moines and Omaha to a T. You're certainly considering the right cities.
Omaha is a bit bigger, but Des Moines is arguably in a better location, and Iowa as a state is more liberal and progressive than Nebraska.
I don't know Omaha as well, but I can tell you that a young liberal family like yours would fit right in Des Moines. COL is low, crime is low, unemployment is low, rent is affordable, there's a great (and very fast-growing) art scene, the core city is very progressive and liberal, the area is growing fast, the people are open-minded enough, I've never had a problem in the area as a gay man, and there's plenty of live music. If you do end up moving there, make sure you get connected with the people at the Des Moines Social Club. I'm sure they could give some excellent pointers in the "living as a young artist" realm.

I know there are a lot of similarities in Omaha. Fargo is considerably smaller, at least a tier or two down from DSM and Omaha. Ames is pretty close to Des Moines, but it's still its own separate entity, and it's also very different from the two bigger cities. It's a decent enough college town, but I don't know if there's much that separates it from the hundreds of other decent college towns in the country, whereas Iowa City really is something special.
I was looking at Iowa City as well but the cost of living seems to be quite a bit higher if I'm not mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 11:33 AM

20,848 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
I was looking at Iowa City as well but the cost of living seems to be quite a bit higher if I'm not mistaken.
It's a college town. If you go just outside of Iowa City the overall cost will be less.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
It's really not that much higher, I grew up there. If you live in the burbs like North Liberty or Tiffin the cost of living goes down quite a bit. It's just high in town because of all the students piled in that drives up demand and the fact its such a good community with good schools, healthcare, etc. Again...high demand.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,762,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It's a college town. If you go just outside of Iowa City the overall cost will be less.
Very true, but that does shut you out of the trendy urban neighborhoods, which you can probably get a better deal on in Des Moines and Omaha proper.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 PM

107 posts, read 175,891 times
I have my eye on some neighborhoods in Omaha...but really I'm just concerned about finding a job at the moment. Actually getting a job out of state when you aren't there is incredibly hard.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,183,204 times
I've lived in both the OKC area (2yrs) and the DM area (2 yrs + 2 yrs with a gap).

OKC is just Fugly, and not at all the kind of area you had described in your first post. The DM area would definitely fit your criteria better. Don't know about Omaha - I've been eyeing it myself, except the crime statistics seem worse than DM, and Nebraska as a whole skews more red than Iowa.

Isn't there some professional organization for your field that you can join to help you find jobs around the country? Or placement services from the college or training program you attended?

Sometimes ya just gotta go where the job is, wherever that may be.

But I wouldn't go to OKC unless you have to!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 PM

350 posts, read 630,299 times
Quote:
I have my eye on some neighborhoods in Omaha...but really I'm just concerned about finding a job at the moment. Actually getting a job out of state when you aren't there is incredibly hard.
Absolutely unless you go in person to interview, the company accepts a Skype interview, the company recruits you (does not usually happen until you are much further along and have your career established), there is no substitute for feet on the ground. You may have to move and apply with a temp service or a number of them and get a job at a call center etc while you apply at places you would rather work long term. Sometimes the temp service may be able to place you in a job you want long term that will be temp to hire. I would recommend posting on the Omaha forum. I know you could get a job relatively quickly in Central Nebraska (not in a small town but in Kearney, Grand Island, and Hastings) although I think most employers is going to want you to already live in the area before they hire you.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,446,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I've lived in both the OKC area (2yrs) and the DM area (2 yrs + 2 yrs with a gap).

OKC is just Fugly, and not at all the kind of area you had described in your first post. The DM area would definitely fit your criteria better. Don't know about Omaha - I've been eyeing it myself, except the crime statistics seem worse than DM, and Nebraska as a whole skews more red than Iowa.

Isn't there some professional organization for your field that you can join to help you find jobs around the country? Or placement services from the college or training program you attended?

Sometimes ya just gotta go where the job is, wherever that may be.

But I wouldn't go to OKC unless you have to!
Something to keep in mind about Omaha. Most of the crime (ahem...gang crime) is in one small part of the city. Most areas are really quite safe.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,816,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
The only things that really stand out on your list of priorities is the art scene, high-growth, and live music venues. For art and live music, a college town like Ames certainly has its advantages. Omaha had one of the better live music scenes in the country for a while, producing a number of local, reputable bands, but I think their time has kind of passed on that. Don't get me wrong, Omaha is the most populous area on your list, and obviously offers those amenities. But for live music, college towns like Ames are going to be the first places most bands stop on their way up. The college radio scene is *huge* there, and there are tons of musician types attending schools. Plus, Big Ten universities have the tendency to support the visual arts....I'm sure Ames has lots of galleries displaying student work and a better-than-decent museum that some alum gifted them...
I would argue Omaha's music scene is still better than the other 3 combined. The local scene took a bit of a dip for a few years, but is back on an up swing. Probably the strongest it has been in 5 years.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,240,612 times
I know Bright Eyes came out of Omaha. I like them a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.