U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,085,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Same place they come from when claiming that Pennsylvania isn't entirely Northern: their own rectums.
I think a lot of NYCers who spent their entire lifetimes in the urban bo-wash corridor mistake being country for being southern.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:07 PM

10,585 posts, read 14,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Duble T I grew up in Bristol, VA...where are you in the tri cities??
On the other side of State St.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,799,981 times
I think the issue here with defining what is south is lumping the entire south into one big mold. I believe that is where the disconnect comes from. The south isn't just the deep south. Of course Louisiana and SC are different. North Florida is different than western NC. SWVA is different than central Mississippi and Eastern SC is different than Western Tennessee. The south is a big ol' area with a linked common history but a large part of it is just as different as other parts of the country. The upper south is fundamentally different from the deep south, and the new south is very different from the "old" south. They aren't less southern...just a different flavor. A good case in point in cuisine...not many people in appalachia (east tn, sw va, west nc, east ky, or southern wv) would have an interest in crawfish boils like those in cajun louisiana, but those in LA wouldn't probably have a huge desire to scarf down some chow chow or brunswick stew. The south is BIG...very BIG. It only follows that it is going to differ based on where you are but it is a little off base to call only the deepest regions of the south...the south. If that keeps up the only "south" will be the mississippi delta or something, lol

Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 PM

DubbleT:
On the other side of State St.

Hahaha man's thats crazy! I grew up off exit 7 on I-81.....The part of Bristol with NEW stuff! haha. My family is about 5 miles east of that Bojangles off ex 7....small world!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I think the issue here with defining what is south is lumping the entire south into one big mold. I believe that is where the disconnect comes from. The south isn't just the deep south. Of course Louisiana and SC are different. North Florida is different than western NC. SWVA is different than central Mississippi and Eastern SC is different than Western Tennessee. The south is a big ol' area with a linked common history but a large part of it is just as different as other parts of the country. The upper south is fundamentally different from the deep south, and the new south is very different from the "old" south. They aren't less southern...just a different flavor. A good case in point in cuisine...not many people in appalachia (east tn, sw va, west nc, east ky, or southern wv) would have an interest in crawfish boils like those in cajun louisiana, but those in LA wouldn't probably have a huge desire to scarf down some chow chow or brunswick stew. The south is BIG...very BIG. It only follows that it is going to differ based on where you are but it is a little off base to call only the deepest regions of the south...the south. If that keeps up the only "south" will be the mississippi delta or something, lol
This is sort of side-stepping the question. Yes, the south is big and varied, but to be the "south" all those areas have some key similarities.

As to the Appalachians, they stretch from south to north. So people in Chattanooga, Tennessee are both southern and appalachian whilst people in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania are both northern and appalachian. Appalachian is a completely different label altogether with its own key characteristics separate from the north/south divide.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM

It isn't side stepping the question it's acknowledging that there isn't one answer to this question or one version of the south. It seems to be a little biased. It used to mean the confederate states, to peole in nyc it means maryland, to people in mississippi it means nothing outside mississippi, to people in georgia it means ga, ms, al, la, and to me it means the list I posted earlier...I mean for god sakes dude just go back and re read all the posts on this one thread alone! There are literally tons of definitions in just these responses. What are these "key similarities" you speak of? Clearly mine are different than yours. Why don't you lay out a rubrick for me and we'll see what we can squeeze into or out of the south.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM

2,083 posts, read 2,908,058 times
Quote:
It isn't side stepping the question it's acknowledging that there isn't one answer to this question or one version of the south. It seems to be a little biased. It used to mean the confederate states, to peole in nyc it means maryland, to people in mississippi it means nothing outside mississippi, to people in georgia it means ga, ms, al, la, and to me it means the list I posted earlier...I mean for god sakes dude just go back and re read all the posts on this one thread alone! There are literally tons of definitions in just these responses. What are these "key similarities" you speak of? Clearly mine are different than yours. Why don't you lay out a rubrick for me and we'll see what we can squeeze into or out of the south.
I feel like your definition was dead on other than the Western KY thing and I would also add the Missouri Bootheel. At least you actually posted a definition.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Thank you! lol

I will agree that my definition probably isn't perfect but it's what i feel like i've experienced as southern. I've never been to the missouri bootheel but I feel like i've heard it's pretty southern overall.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
What's interesting is that no matter how differently people define the south, some states just keep showing up and those are:

Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Tennessee. I have yet to see those be excluded by any list.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM

What makes those states southern though? Other than group think we need to isolate what makes these states "southern" other than geography. If that were the case FL would be the Mecca of the south....So what is it to you that makes these states southern?

And btw Louisiana isn't considered a part of southeast region in little league baseball. I know that little league baseball isn't really the authority on regional culture but it is excluded on some random lists for professional associations too. I know that is splitting hairs but I just wanted to point out that Louisiana isn't ALWAYS considered southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or