U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,164 posts, read 6,499,222 times
Reputation: 8029

Advertisements

What is the idea behind some Northerners wanting to claim truly Southern states as being Northern???? I do not follow this way of thinking. Are some so ignorant to think being from the North makes them better?? It does not matter which region of this country you are from no one is superior to anyone else. Only the truly ignorant think this way. Virginia is a southern state, people moving in does not change that fact.

 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,934,605 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Yes, Virginia was once a southern state but over the last few decades has been swamped by northerners changing the cultural landscape. It's sort of like how southern Florida, maybe in the early 1900s, could have been considered part of the south but due to transplants and immigrants feels entirely different now.



It's my feeling from having driven through that state on my way to South Carolina. Only about the North Carolina state line and south did I feel the culture to be consistently southern. But even then still, plenty of transplants which is why I consider North Carolina a transition state and Virginia as a mid-atlantic state with some southern influence.
Having spent a lot of time over the years in southern and southwestern Virginia, let me assure you that it's very southern.

I have never understood why some people think that lots of transplants to any city in the South makes it less southern. Southern cities can be urban, diverse, and fast-paced just like anywhere else and still be part of the South...this region is very diverse, and just because one area is not exactly like another doesn't mean it's no longer part of the region.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,164 posts, read 6,499,222 times
Reputation: 8029
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Having spent a lot of time over the years in southern and southwestern Virginia, let me assure you that it's very southern.

I have never understood why some people think that lots of transplants to any city in the South makes it less southern. Southern cities can be urban, diverse, and fast-paced just like anywhere else and still be part of the South...this region is very diverse, and just because one area is not exactly like another doesn't mean it's no longer part of the region.


You are right. I don't understand that thinking either. Maybe the Southerners should move en masse to NYC and make it a southern town. LOL
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,797,147 times
Reputation: 1053
Exactly...you can't take a random city and generalize the entire state...in the south or anywhere. NYC isn't like the rest of new york, Atlanta is like the rest of Georgia, Cary isn't like the rest of NC, and NOVA sure as hell isn't like the rest of VA. IT JUST AIN'T THAT BLACK AND WHITE. I mean think about this...Where I grew up (Bristol VA) has a Tennessee side and a Virginia side divided by what is referred to as State Street. If I live on the VA side and my buddy lives on the TN side is he just a little more southern because I'm in a "mid atlantic state with southern influences?"

I don't believe so.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM
 
2,076 posts, read 3,081,532 times
Reputation: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Having spent a lot of time over the years in southern and southwestern Virginia, let me assure you that it's very southern.
I guess I don't find them very southern at all. Let's agree to disagree.

Quote:
I have never understood why some people think that lots of transplants to any city in the South makes it less southern. Southern cities can be urban, diverse, and fast-paced just like anywhere else and still be part of the South...this region is very diverse, and just because one area is not exactly like another doesn't mean it's no longer part of the region.
Because what makes the south is the culture first and foremost. Enough transplants change the culture.

I live in Atlanta now, and there are a lot of transplants here. Much of the time, within the city limits, it doesn't feel very southern due to all the northerners (though in many ways, the southern backbone of Atlanta shows through) but a quick trip out of Atlanta changes the cultural landscape completely.

However, that's not true for certain regions like south Florida. Taking a trip out of Miami doesn't immediately land oneself in the stereotypical bucolic south. Would you say south Florida is the south? And if not, why not?

This is part of the reason I have no problem classifying Georgia as the dirty south despite all the transplants in Atlanta but can't bring myself to do that for southern Florida (despite maybe a small town in the everglades that feels southern). I'm taking into consideration the prevailing culture of the region and not basing it on cities.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,797,147 times
Reputation: 1053
Just out of curiosity, PosterExtraordinare, where in southwest virginia have you been?
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM
 
2,076 posts, read 3,081,532 times
Reputation: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Just out of curiosity, PosterExtraordinare, where in southwest virginia have you been?
My experience with southwestern Virginia is very limited through driving through the state several times and making pit stops. Yeah, that's not the best way to judge the region but for example that's more or less I did the same for Tennessee and the region feels entirely different even on such limited experience.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,164 posts, read 6,499,222 times
Reputation: 8029
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Just out of curiosity, PosterExtraordinare, where in southwest virginia have you been?


Good question. I have lived in Virginia and South Carolina for many years and I fail to see the difference.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,797,147 times
Reputation: 1053
As far as south florida goes I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer...as far south as I've been in Florida is Orlando...but outside of orlando city limits feels pretty southern to me. TONS of country kitchen restaurants, southern accents at the gas stations, and HUGE college football culture with the Gators....but south florida I really don't know because i've never been.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,797,147 times
Reputation: 1053
I agree w/ Scotty. I can't tell a bit of difference in Bristol, Roanoke, Johnson City, Spartanburg, Asheville (except the hippies) or Greenville. They're all in the mountains, they all have thick accents, they all LOVE college football, they all adore good food, and most importantly they all know they live in the south. I've never noticed a difference either.

But seriously posterextraordinare...youtube the show moonshiners. They have full shows posted. You don't have to watch the entire thing by any stretch but it gives you a really good example of southern appalachian culture in virginia. The guys are in south central va in the appalachian mountains. It's a really entertaining show and it shows the regional dialect and culture as a whole very very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top