U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 04:47 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,144,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Good Pizza............................................. .......................check
Largely Democratic City.............................................. .....check
I agree with your other points, but I'll take issue with these two. D.C. is often maligned for its pizza. Only Jumbo Slice and couple others is given any credit. As for being a largely Democratic city, most cities (even in the South) vote Democrat. D.C. has more Democratic suburbs than most Southern cities, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Because they don't quite belong with the North either and people want to put them in some region. Maryland and Virginia were the major center of the "Old South" - which excludes most of today's "Dirty South".
Maryland and Virginia were the major centers of the Old South until cotton surpassed tobacco as the major crop. At that point, Maryland started to become a Northern state and Virginia, although not Northern, started to differ with the "Deep South." Virginia did not originally side with the Confederate states. It was sympathetic, but preferred to remain in the North on the first vote and act as a broker. Northern Virginia never voted to break with the Union (but went along with the commonwealth as a whole). Of course, Virginia was the largest and prestigious Southern state at the time, so it had the capital as soon as it broke with the Union.

South Carolina was the center of the Deep South. Most food that is typically associated with the South originated in South Carolina (or so they say).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notramick View Post
DC isn't even known for pizza and I'm pretty sure Miami with all the more NYC and NJ transplants definitely has great pizza.
Meh, Miami's pizza is ok. There are a few spots, but the New Yorkers complain about a lack of quality. It's definitely not like New York or New Jersey. I'd say D.C. has more pizza options, even if they're not so good.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
As far as south florida goes I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer...as far south as I've been in Florida is Orlando...but outside of orlando city limits feels pretty southern to me. TONS of country kitchen restaurants, southern accents at the gas stations, and HUGE college football culture with the Gators....but south florida I really don't know because i've never been.
I recommend taking a trip to Miami and south Florida. It's a very strong Latin American/Caribbean vibe there - to the point of dominance. Even most of the white people there speak Spanish - because they're actually Cubans. Very different from any other place in Florida or the U.S.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:23 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,795,631 times
No offense if you're from that area but that sounds pretty awful to me. I just don't get into the whole latino thing. I live in PHX now and I get enough of that to tide me over. When I make trips back on that side of the country I want to be in areas that are still recognizable to me as southern. Yall keep the mojitos...I'll take the hills and sweet tea lol

Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM

56 posts, read 54,317 times
Can southerners post historic architecture or links to it in there states?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,899,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonJohn View Post
Can southerners post historic architecture or links to it in there states?
Call it a yankee state, but this is at the very southern tip of Illinois. Magnolia Manor built in 1869 - Cairo, Illinois
http://www.illinoisinfocus.com/uploa...724726.jpg?808

Riverboat House - Cape Girardeau, Missouri (Once again right on the line between Midwest/South)
http://www.capecentralhigh.com/wp-co...2010_01781.jpg

I would say both of these are examples of historic architecture found in the south, although the Riverboat house is pretty unique.

Last edited by JMT; 08-21-2012 at 02:43 AM..

Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
PosterExtraordinaire:
Virginia was once a southern state, but I think that buck has passed a long, long time ago.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please explain to me what you mean? I'm curious as to what makes you think the "buck" passed long ago. I think anyone with a knowledge of southern history...the things that most people consider southern today...started in Virginia. First published sweet tea recipe, capital of the confederacy, first recording of country music (bristol va), the "souths oldest college football rivalry" (uva vs unc), and some of the first established baptists...

Let me recap the highlights and then tell me which culture this sounds like:
1) sweet tea
2) Confederates
3) country music
4) college football
5) Jesus

Thats not the northeast...

Now I will concede that nova is not southern even a little today but to say that Virginia as a whole isn't southern at all anymore is a GROSSLY incorrect generalization and a slap in the face to all Virginians who fought for southern independence.
Y'all play college FOOTBALL in Virginia? I thought that was lacrosse country up there. Just ribbin' a bit.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 PM

13,577 posts, read 22,033,104 times
The definitive answer:

The American South
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
South Carolina
Louisiana
North Carolina
Tennessee
Arkansas (including extreme southern Missouri)
Kentucky (minus Cincinnati suburbs, including Missouri bootheel)
North Florida (everything north of Orlando)
South Virginia (from just north of Richmond southward, including Charlottesville, most of the Shenandoah Valley, and parts of southeastern West Virginia)

This thread may close now.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,795,631 times
Haha hell yeah we play college football! Ever heard of Beamerball?? That's where it is man!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 PM

50 posts, read 76,331 times
Boston CSA Birth by Origin:
Northeast- 1,246,683
West- 144,029
Midwest- 199,506
South- 257,020

Philadelphia CSA Birth by Origin:
Northeast- 915,286
West- 89,697
Midwest- 156,244
South- 427,788

Washington-Baltimore CSA Birth by Origin:
Northeast- 1,024,537
West- 308,670
Midwest- 448,119
South- 1,662,845

When you take away the Baltimore area, so go the grand majority of the northerners as well. DC has more southerners than northerners. DC-Baltimore have 60% more southerners than northerners by birth. American FactFinder - Results

Evidence makes an argument noteworthy, pizza just makes me hungry.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,467,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notramick View Post
LMAO no you're taking it to seriously.

My laughter was because of the stupid and moronic logic presented by what I now believe to be a 13 year old trying to argue how northern DC is because apparently southern cities cant have "good pizza". DC isn't even known for pizza and I'm pretty sure Miami with all the more NYC and NJ transplants definitely has great pizza if not greater than DC if he's only into that NYC style pizza.

The only thing I havent done yet is post a US census map which I didnt think I needed but more power to me and the ONLY thing he had going for him in response was "good pizza" and other stupid preschool jibberish and stereotypes. Like I told him that was my last reply to him, he's not worth the time for me nor anyone else.

What a fool!

LMAO, Bwahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Never in my life have I heard of that good pizza argument before but thank you, thank you kid, thanks for giving me this opportunity to fall out of my chair laughing, leaving me to guess that you suffer from down syndrome. LMAO!

I'm so happy, just so happy. I dont even care about this debate anymore because I'm just so enarmored by that pizza comment. Its one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my entire 51 years of life and the funniest thing about it was that I think he was seriously trying to list things. LOL
Once again you missed what I wrote in addition to that. By the way, I think you need to calm done a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly: Aside from the pizza similarity which leans more towards personal preference, the others were pretty legit in justifying similarities between Washington DC and other Northeastern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or