U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 777,692 times
Reputation: 353

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I'd say D.C. has more pizza options, even if they're not so good.
PG County, right near DC, is the origin of Ledo Pizza, the best pizza in the world. One could claim otherwise, but they'd be wrong of course.

 
Old 08-20-2012, 10:25 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,158,630 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Is this self reported or is region decided by the census bureau? (Link won't work).
Because... the Census Bureau considers MD and DE southern, and of course DC and Baltimore would be full of Marylanders. Any way you flip it though that bit of data just proves how heavily transplanted Balt-Wash is.
Baltimore is NOWHERE near as transplanted at DC. Not even close. DC is like ATL, Charlotte, Dallas and Houston in that regard.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 AM
 
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
1,154 posts, read 3,967,464 times
Reputation: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is NOWHERE near as transplanted at DC. Not even close. DC is like ATL, Charlotte, Dallas and Houston in that regard.
Baltimore is often misunderstood on these forums in this respect. Baltimore's 'transplants' landed 90+ years ago from Europe, not over the past 30 years from north of the Mason-Dixon line.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 AM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 777,692 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is NOWHERE near as transplanted at DC. Not even close. DC is like ATL, Charlotte, Dallas and Houston in that regard.
I was referring to the general Baltimore-Washington area. I know Baltimore's population has mostly been around for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Baltimore is often misunderstood on these forums in this respect. Baltimore's 'transplants' landed 90+ years ago from Europe, not over the past 30 years from north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Indeed, and the most famous american immigration into Baltimore actually came from the south in the earlier half of the 20th century, if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 08-21-2012 at 02:07 AM..
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 AM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,598,413 times
Reputation: 1073
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uth_census.png

Last edited by JMT; 08-21-2012 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Shaw.
2,226 posts, read 3,147,612 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
PG County, right near DC, is the origin of Ledo Pizza, the best pizza in the world. One could claim otherwise, but they'd be wrong of course.
I'll have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notramick View Post
Washington-Baltimore CSA Birth by Origin:
Northeast- 1,024,537
West- 308,670
Midwest- 448,119
South- 1,662,845

When you take away the Baltimore area, so go the grand majority of the northerners as well. DC has more southerners than northerners. DC-Baltimore have 60% more southerners than northerners by birth. American FactFinder - Results

Evidence makes an argument noteworthy, pizza just makes me hungry.
The link doesn't work, so I may be missing something, but if that's based on the Census, then it includes Maryland as part of the South, so all Maryland and Delaware births in the D.C.-Baltimore CSA count as Southern. That's the part we're disputing. If you can factor out the Maryland and Delaware births (count them as neither Southern nor Northern), I wonder if you end up with more Northern or Southern births.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,303 posts, read 19,577,939 times
Reputation: 13087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
PG County, right near DC, is the origin of Ledo Pizza, the best pizza in the world. One could claim otherwise, but they'd be wrong of course.
It made me laugh to hear you say that. But you might have a point. Don't know if others will agree though.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,797,380 times
Reputation: 1053
I agree with that map that nephi215 posted w/ exception to maryland and deleware. I'm sorry to anyone from those states who feel that they are southern but I just don't think they are. My sister moved north to pa when I was younger and when we would drive up to visit her I always felt like we had left the confines of the south once we hit the maryland border. Well...pretty much once we hit nova but at least nova has confederate general street names randomly...maryland is unchartered territory. Sure some people in the eastern shore may have a little drawl but the state itself....I just don't buy it.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM
 
Location: West Tennessee
2,082 posts, read 2,903,482 times
Reputation: 1337
Not that cut and dry. Culture doesn't always follow state lines.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 04:24 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 777,692 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I'll have to check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It made me laugh to hear you say that. But you might have a point. Don't know if others will agree though.
You either love it or you hate it. It's served on cafeteria trays with a thin, almost crackery crust, cut into squares with really thick pepperoni and piled toppings, and the sauce is sweet. My dad despises the stuff but I love it and Ledos restaurants are always full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
The link doesn't work, so I may be missing something, but if that's based on the Census, then it includes Maryland as part of the South, so all Maryland and Delaware births in the D.C.-Baltimore CSA count as Southern. That's the part we're disputing. If you can factor out the Maryland and Delaware births (count them as neither Southern nor Northern), I wonder if you end up with more Northern or Southern births.
This is what I was thinking too. I think it's probably based on the Census and counts natives as southerners. I'm sure the native Maryland population is fairly large, so if counted out northerners might be the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I agree with that map that nephi215 posted w/ exception to maryland and deleware. I'm sorry to anyone from those states who feel that they are southern but I just don't think they are. My sister moved north to pa when I was younger and when we would drive up to visit her I always felt like we had left the confines of the south once we hit the maryland border. Well...pretty much once we hit nova but at least nova has confederate general street names randomly...maryland is unchartered territory. Sure some people in the eastern shore may have a little drawl but the state itself....I just don't buy it.
It depends on where you are in MD, it's a very diverse state. Driving up to PA you'll usually only see the transplanted, developed center.
Historically it was definitely Southern. I still think of it as southern because that's what I always learned growing up in Southern Maryland, but I can easily recognize how most of the state really is not. If someone asked me "is Maryland in the north or south" I would probably tell them neither or both.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 08-21-2012 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top