U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 PM

582 posts, read 776,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Do others ever refer to shopping carts as buggy's, biscuits as cat heads, roadkill as kyarn, ghosts as haints, fireplace mantels and fireboards, or sideways as si-gogglin? There are a ton more but I think that list is sufficient for now. I've always heard these words growing up but when I say them elsewhere people think i'm either a hick...or just retarded.
No one here does. I thought buggy was an English term.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,491,939 times
Something I've always wondered....In appalachia we have a few random words that i've never heard anywhere else. Do others ever refer to shopping carts as buggy's, biscuits as cat heads, roadkill as kyarn, ghosts as haints, fireplace mantels and fireboards, or sideways as si-gogglin? There are a ton more but I think that list is sufficient for now. I've always heard these words growing up but when I say them elsewhere people think i'm either a hick...or just retarded.

The only one of the above that I have heard here in SC is some people refer to shopping carts as buggies. I have never heard of the rest.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM

9 posts, read 11,740 times
hick south,appalachia: virginia except for nova,west virginia,tennessee, kentucky
deep south: north&south carolina,florida(north),georgia,alabama,mississipp i,delta regions of tennessee and arkansas, parts of louisiana

Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,795,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchootum View Post
hick south,appalachia: virginia except for nova,west virginia,tennessee, kentucky
deep south: north&south carolina,florida(north),georgia,alabama,mississipp i,delta regions of tennessee and arkansas, parts of louisiana

Hick South??? lol

Well I've been called a hick or hillbilly most everywhere i've gone so I suppose if the shoe fits I'll wear it.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:19 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,671,941 times
Quote:
Although a lot of people are gonna hate on you for saying that, I really can't deny it.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 11,740 times
glad to see yall agree with me. and being a hick isnt a bad thing.. at least in my book it aint^^

Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,491,939 times
Quote:
glad to see yall agree with me. and being a hick isnt a bad thing.. at least in my book it aint^^

Lets not forget that there are hicks all over this country. Every region has them.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Lets not forget that there are hicks all over this country. Every region has them.
Yes. Lots of them.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Interesting...I'm sure virginia has mid atlantic labeled businesses and such as well over in the tidewater area but I never go there. Norfolk is about 7 hours from Bristol where I grew up. In Bristol most businesses are either Southern this and that or Appalachian this and that. Actually to be honest, most things are probably Appalachian. I can think of about 10 businesses with Appalachian in the title but only like three with southern. The dixie laundry mat is there too but I guess I would factor that in with southern. I feel like most people in southwest virginia cling to appalchian mountain culture almost as much or more than southern. You notice it very heavily in the cooking, bluegrass, vocabulary, and the accent, mine included. It is VERY VERY rhotic. We pronounce the hell out of R's. Especially in words like hollow (holler) and wash (warsh). In the piedmont area in va they all sound like Ward Burton (Wuud Buuuhton), lol.

Something I've always wondered....In appalachia we have a few random words that i've never heard anywhere else. Do others ever refer to shopping carts as buggy's, biscuits as cat heads, roadkill as kyarn, ghosts as haints, fireplace mantels and fireboards, or sideways as si-gogglin? There are a ton more but I think that list is sufficient for now. I've always heard these words growing up but when I say them elsewhere people think i'm either a hick...or just retarded.
You forgot "poke".

Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 PM

44,768 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Geographically anything below the ohio river and the mason dixon line is considered the south but culturally the south is Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas and possibly Oklahoma. West Virginia, MIssouri are never considered a part of the south but have large areas that identify with the south. Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky are considered the south culutrally but are grouped as the upper south because they differ from the deep south and the rest of the south in general. You can argue all you want but this is probably the most realistic answer
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or