U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 AM

45,136 posts, read 36,338,000 times

Advertisements

Well, I think that many southerners are very proud of their southern heritage (I know I am), and love the southern lifestyle and friendliness, and weather (I do) - and many people who are not from the south seem to despise it for those very same reasons. I definitely feel that my southern upbringing and the time I've spent in the Land of Dixie has enriched my life and personality and is a great advantage.

I would not trade my southern heritage or experiences for ANY other lifestyle in the entire world. And I can say that with some authority, since I've lived and traveled over much of this world. The American South is where my heart is. It's as much a part of me as my skin and hair.

Geaux, Saints! (Got your work cut out for you this year, don't cha, boys?)

Oh - and ROLL TIDE! And Geaux, LSU Tigers! And HOW 'BOUT THEM DOGS! And I wish Tony Romo would be traded for someone with more gumption! And HOOK 'EM, HORNS! And bring on the Wolfpack!

Thank goodness for satellite TV. I can't be everywhere at once!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 AM

582 posts, read 778,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Do some feel that there is an advantage to being considered a Southerner
It's simply a part of my identity and that's why I would want to be considered such.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,798,954 times
I've always felt a big connection to the south because my great x3 grandpa and all of his brothers (4) fought and died in the civil war. They're buried about 5 miles from our house in a local cemetary thats full of confederate dead. On top of that I'm a big history buff so I think that supplements my love for the area. All the people in my family have the Virginia Sons of Confederate Veterans license plates as well. So far, it's a family thing. I don't feel that we have an advantage necessarily...it's just who I am...so why not be proud of it. Trust me...there are tons of people out there who try to tear the south down at every point...its needs more people standing up for it.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 AM

774 posts, read 1,698,856 times
Three good and understandable explanations. Thank You!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:30 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,906,115 times
Almost all of my family history has its roots in the South, and I am proud to consider myself a southerner living in Southeast Missouri.

The cultural South to me-

Eastern Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Louisiana
Missouri (Bootheel and possibly everything south of U.S. 60)
Kentucky (Excluding Northern KY)
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Florida outside of Southern Florida
The Carolinas
Virginia (Excluding the DC suburbs)
Some rural areas in Maryland
Illinois within 20 miles of the Ohio River
Southern West Virginia

Old 08-24-2012, 11:52 AM

582 posts, read 778,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Almost all of my family history has its roots in the South, and I am proud to consider myself a southerner living in Southeast Missouri.

Eastern Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Louisiana
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
The Carolinas
Southern West Virginia

Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Eastern Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Louisiana
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
The Carolinas
Southern West Virginia
I would agree this list is comprehensive. If I may...since this list is so comprehensive I would add two additions to narrow it down to the true cultural south even closer.
*North Carolina (excluding Raleigh-Durham suburbs, i.e., Containment Area for Relocated Yankees)
*Oklahoma (OKC east)

Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 PM

And I may get some flack over this one but I want to add one more to my recent post.....

*Georgia (Excluding Atlanta's northeastern suburbs...Alpharetta, Suwanee, Duluth, Johns Creek). Maybe others have had different experiences but those places haven't ever felt southern to me. I'm willing to eat crow if i'm wrong though.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 PM

10,168 posts, read 6,506,890 times
Do some feel that there is an advantage to being considered a Southerner,

I don't think most southerners consider it an advantage to be a Southerner, but it definitely is not a disadvantage to being a Southerner like some of the ignorant on this forum like to think. Southern people are a proud people and they love their region. Like some others here I have lived in the North, but I feel the south is better living all the way around. I do not intend to leave this region again in my lifetime. It is a shame that the ignorant try to make it look like a bad place because it truly is a great place to live.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 PM

45,136 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Quote:

Eastern Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Louisiana
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
The Carolinas
Southern West Virginia
I can go with this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or