U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Geographically anything below the ohio river and the mason dixon line is considered the south but culturally the south is Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas and possibly Oklahoma. West Virginia, MIssouri are never considered a part of the south but have large areas that identify with the south. Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky are considered the south culutrally but are grouped as the upper south because they differ from the deep south and the rest of the south in general. You can argue all you want but this is probably the most realistic answer
Wow you have a lot of knowledge I guess you even didn't use a map

Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,797,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
They are both Southern and are not generally considered Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic states, though some small parts of West Virginia might be considered part of the Mid-Atlantic.
Dude don't waste your time...this kid shows up on every "where is the south" thread to come to maryland's defense. What's worst is he argues the same way EVERY time. Go back and re-read his posts...he just bolds the word fact and says that we can't deny the "fact" that Maryland is southern. And after he makes his statement he will use every emoticon city data offers. I'm going to ballpark this kid is about 14 based on his stunning argumentative skills...perhaps younger.

Let me demonstrate how the little Yankee boy argues.

"you can't deny the fact that new jersey is the south...:rolleye s:

By the way this kid told me in private once that he has this weird secret romantic fantasy about marrying him a big liberal chick with armpit hair and moving to Vermont...the northeastern dream!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,147,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Sure along the I-95 Corridor may not feel southern but along the US Highway 13 towards Dover does feel Southern.....
I don't live along the I-95 corridor. I live right off of 13. I live north of the C&D Canal (barely), but I have friends all the way down to Seaford and Millford and good friends down to Dover. People down there are often rural, but they're rarely Southern.

That said, there is some Southern influence on Delaware below the canal. It doesn't feel like Virginia, but I wouldn't argue with you if you called it a transition area, provided you didn't try to argue that it's more Southern than Northern.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I don't live along the I-95 corridor. I live right off of 13. I live north of the C&D Canal (barely), but I have friends all the way down to Seaford and Millford and good friends down to Dover. People down there are often rural, but they're rarely Southern.

That said, there is some Southern influence on Delaware below the canal. It doesn't feel like Virginia, but I wouldn't argue with you if you called it a transition area, provided you didn't try to argue that it's more Southern than Northern.

Again...don't waste your time or energy. This whinyass kid is just going to retort with some god-awful flawed logic about how you "hate" Maryland and Deleware because you don't think that they are southern. This loser pops up in threads all the time to argue his point...allbeit a poor attempt on his part. No one will deny that Maryland has southern traits but very few people will say the state itself is southern. Maybe someone from Maine will think it feels southern in comparision but that doesn't mean it's The South.

I can literally see this kid right now sitting on his parents computer with his thong in a bunch trying to think of some clever retort to "best" us. But...regardless of what home boy says all that he is a fudged wiki map and his infamous line, "You can't deny the fact that Maryland is southern."

Just wait...that line is coming soon.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:26 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,147,612 times
Yeah, I'm sure it is.

He has a better argument with Maryland than Delaware, since at least Maryland was a Southern Colony and the Southern Accent does extend into Maryland. I'm not sure why he needs to insist all of Maryland is in the South, though.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM

774 posts, read 1,697,987 times
Again, to $mk8795, why do you dedicate a large amount of your time to arguing this point. I don't think you are convincing anybody. Like I said, I personally consider Maryland and DC to be part of the Northeast, but if you are from the Southern cultural area of Maryland and in your heart are a Southerner, as you obviously are, then in my book, you are a Southerner. One time, a diehard Southerner from Alabama told me that even a person born up North could become an adoptive Southerner if he/she lived in the South for awhile and adapted to the Southern lifestyle.
I would consider southern Missouri to be part of the Midwest with the rest of the state, but in the Southern cultural region.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,478,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And again your proving my point that you are speaking based on opinion that will Never Dictate Against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State......

Maryland is not a Northern State and thats the way it is despite your opinion.......

And I also have a problem believing that you have ever step foot into the state of Maryland or else you would not type the words you're typing......
I've been to Maryland plenty of times and I have never felt like I was in the south, though when I got into the Richmond area of Virginia I felt I was definitely in the south.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 09-06-2012 at 11:04 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I've been to Maryland plenty of times and I have never felt like I was in the south, though when I got into the Richmond area of Virginia I felt I was definitely in the south.

I agree...i've been to maryland quite a few times and i've never really felt it either. Actually...to be honest when I get into Maryland the first thing I think to myself is, "Wow...this is where that kid on City Data that always talks about how northeastern Maryland is......Yeah...I can totally see it. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHY THAT RANDOM KID HAS SUCH A HARD ON FOR THE NORTHEAST AND HIS NORTHEASTERN HOME."

Thats totally what I think when I go to Maryland....................about you....loving the northeast....in Maryland....because it's the northeast.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM

52 posts, read 80,984 times
The two times I was in Maryland it felt southern to me, but then I know a family member from Maryland and hes anything but southern. Thats all Ive got to go by being from California. I was wrong about Kansas City being part of the south. But what about Joplin and Branson Missouri, could that part of Missouri be considered the south?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,903,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_leavin View Post
The two times I was in Maryland it felt southern to me, but then I know a family member from Maryland and hes anything but southern. Thats all Ive got to go by being from California. I was wrong about Kansas City being part of the south. But what about Joplin and Branson Missouri, could that part of Missouri be considered the south?
Branson? Yes. Joplin? Not sure really....I kind of doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or