U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
The main city in question to me is Philadelphia; the reason I say that is because many people say Philadelphia resembles a mini-NYC, but then people say Baltimore resembles a mini-Philly. So what would you guys say Philly resembles more physically? I say 40% NYC (pretty much anything in Center City) and plenty of it resembles Baltimore. Another thing, Philly MSA not CSA has a county in Maryland so would you guys consider that northern just because it's in the Philly MSA? I sure wouldn't.
Yes as we all know Wilmington, DE isn't really all that northern to begin with.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 AM

582 posts, read 776,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And Richmond does not look that much different than Baltimore.........
I could understand saying Norfolk does not look that much different than a smaller version of Baltimore, but Richmond?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
As I read once before, "Baltimore is its own island in Maryland, anything surrounding it is southern but the city is Northern". No-one cany deny that Baltimore itself resembles a Northern city much more than DC does itself but DC is a bit more diverse, dense in population than Baltimore; but to to say either is completely Northern or Southern is ignorant. I believe some of us connect southern and rural together too much, Central Maryland isn't rural but to deny that it doesn't posses Northern or Southern qualities is wrong. Just take a look at Columbia, it looks like Cary, NC if you ask me.

The main city in question to me is Philadelphia; the reason I say that is because many people say Philadelphia resembles a mini-NYC, but then people say Baltimore resembles a mini-Philly. So what would you guys say Philly resembles more physically? I say 40% NYC (pretty much anything in Center City) and plenty of it resembles Baltimore. Another thing, Philly MSA not CSA has a county in Maryland so would you guys consider that northern just because it's in the Philly MSA? I sure wouldn't.

So to answer your question, there's not a dead zone type of cut-off between the North and the South, it's more of a transition zone. VA is the official start for a mostly southern state, while PA is the start of a mostly Northern state. NOVA/DC/MD/DE are in my opinion a huge buffer zone that can't be placed in either region.

Edit: but if we really want to decide for once where to pinpoint where the south begins/ends, we need to list what southern qualities are because as I said, there's a difference between Southern and rural. NYS has rural areas, with farms, hilly billies, etc but it still wouldnt be considered southern by most standards.
I'd say for most people, these are hallmark southern qualities:

- prevalence of southern accents among locals

- largely agricultural economy

- more baptists than any other denomination

- laid-back pace

- southern geographical location

- lower population density

- more politically conservative, generally

And these are northern:

- lack of southern accents among locals

- largely service, technological and/or industrial economy

- denominations other than baptist are the largest

- fast-pace of life

- northern geographical location

- higher population density

- more politically liberal, generally

Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM

352 posts, read 631,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Thats totally what I think when I go to Maryland....................about you....loving the northeast....in Maryland....because it's the northeast.
To me, Maryland isn't Southern or Northeastern, more like....Mid-Atlantic. That's my humble opinion. .

Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 AM

774 posts, read 1,695,734 times
Would El Paso be considered a Southern city? I know Texas is in the South, but it definitely feels like a Western city, very similar to NM and AZ.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 AM

Based on these criteria, for MD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd say for most people, these are hallmark southern qualities:

- prevalence of southern accents among locals Scattered throughout Maryland, not the accent of the majority except in SoMD, lower Eastern Shore, and some parts of Western MD. An accent similar to Southern PA is probably the most common.

- largely agricultural economy Mix. MD relies on both.

- more baptists than any other denomination MD has a lesser % Baptists than more southern states and a greater % baptists than more northern states.

- laid-back pace I think urban MD is in middle ground here as well. Rural areas are always more laid back.

- southern geographical location Middle. Climactically and geographically not northern, but it snows plenty and is located midway up the coast.

- lower population density Nope. Even Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore are pretty dense.

- more politically conservative, generally. MD is a hard one to figure out here, partisan but not really liberal.

And these are northern:

- lack of southern accents among locals

- largely service, technological and/or industrial economy

- denominations other than baptist are the largest

- fast-pace of life

- northern geographical location

- higher population density

- more politically liberal, generally

Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
To me, Maryland isn't Southern or Northeastern, more like....Mid-Atlantic. That's my humble opinion. .

I'm fine with that definition.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:23 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,141,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Would El Paso be considered a Southern city? I know Texas is in the South, but it definitely feels like a Western city, very similar to NM and AZ.
I think West Texas (incl. El Paso) is the beginning of the Southwest.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:26 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
No. El Paso is part of the TRUE Southwest. It exhibits almost no Southern characteristics.

Predominantly Catholic
Predominantly Hispanic
Arid Climate/Desert
No real discernible Southern accent

There is some a Confederate monument in El Paso, but that's about it. If El Paso is considered Southern, than what's considered Southern is VERY broad.

Last edited by polo89; 09-07-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 02:50 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,794,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
No. El Paso is part of the TRUE Southwest. It exhibits almost no Southern characteristics.

Predominantly Catholic
Predominantly Hispanic
Arid Climate/Dessert
No real discernible Southern accent

There is some little Confederate monument in El Paso, but that's about it. If El Paso is considered Southern, than what's considered Southern is VERY broad.

I agree...I grew up in the south (southwestern virginia) and i currently live in arizona. I have to go to El Paso for work every couple of months or so and El Paso is very similar to Phoenix. Very catholic, very hispanic, and very very hot. Great food but hot as a mother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or