U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,796,178 times
Reputation: 1053

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Southern Illinois has certain parts of it which may as well be the south. Illinois I agree isn't southern, but to say it doesn't have parts which fit in very well with the south is being less than honest. Same with southern Indiana.
They have parts that MAY FIT IN with the south...but these just aren't southern....I mean, c'mon! The land of Lincoln?!? Lol

 
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM
 
Location: West Tennessee
2,082 posts, read 2,901,001 times
Reputation: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
They have parts that MAY FIT IN with the south...but these just aren't southern....I mean, c'mon! The land of Lincoln?!? Lol
I must say the southern most 3 counties of Illinois (Alexander, Pulaski and Massac) would feel right at home in Kentucky. Illinois? not so much.
 
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 777,076 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
They have parts that MAY FIT IN with the south...but these just aren't southern....I mean, c'mon! The land of Lincoln?!? Lol
Weren't both Lincoln and Davis born in Kentucky?
 
Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,796,178 times
Reputation: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Weren't both Lincoln and Davis born in Kentucky?
Lol, yeah but I mean....Illinois...Dixie? Just doesn't fit to me. It's like saying Bakersfield California is the south. Look at southern dialect maps...Bakersfield has a group that speak with a southern dialect. These people might fit in in ky but it just isn't southern. I won't contest that Illinois probably has very southern areas (Cairo) but when referring to the south I don't think you'll find any southerner that won't scoff at any mention of Illinois
 
Old 09-08-2012, 07:21 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,807,501 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'd have to disagree. You're from Connecticut, which is New England. Maryland is not New England. MOst of it, however, save the parts south of D.C., is a lot like Delaware and southern Pennsylvania. These days, Maryland has a lot more traits like the Northeast than the south.
In your opinion sure, however Maryland is still a Southern State......
 
Old 09-08-2012, 07:22 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,807,501 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
LOL! Now you're going to discredit positive proof you're wrong. Folks, I think we've got him cornered....
?No Comprende?
 
Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,104 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
In your opinion sure, however Maryland is still a Southern State......
Its not opinion, its fact. It is a fact that demographically, culturally, and linguistically Maryland fits in with the Northeast much better than the South. Also politically.
 
Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,104 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
?No Comprende?
I repeat, you're cornered. All you have left is denial.
 
Old 09-09-2012, 05:25 AM
 
Location: DC/Brooklyn, NY/Miami, FL
1,178 posts, read 2,514,214 times
Reputation: 391
My ancesters fought in the civil war, they were Marylanders to the death of them and they were union soldiers. DC was the capital of the union and right across the river was enemy territory, Virginia. For many years Virginia was looked down upon from the AA community because of its racist past. Back in the day once trains got to union station from the north passengers were segregated because the next stop was in Virginia and they had strong jim crow laws. Buses and trains were never segregated in DC and MD.

Now heres what would make MD southern:
-Annapolis was a slave port, Kunta Kente came through there.
-Glen Echo park was for whites only.....i think
-MD has a large skin head population... mainly around Baltimore and southern MD
 
Old 09-09-2012, 05:28 AM
 
Location: DC/Brooklyn, NY/Miami, FL
1,178 posts, read 2,514,214 times
Reputation: 391
Also up until the 70's eating at a restaurant or diner was an unpleasant experience if you was black in Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top