U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,147,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Secession was never formally voted upon in MD.

The first MD secession convention decided that secession was unconstitutional, but that the north was to blame for forcing the south to secede. It decreed that MD would secede only if Virginia seceded first.

After Virginia seceded, Maryland was already occupied by Union troops and another convention was called. The bill for secession got stuck in indecision and put off till later.

Before it could be formally voted upon on this later date, the pro-secession convention members and those with family in the CSA were arrested and the vote never happened.
It seems they voted 53-13 against secession (even if it was to say it was unconstitutional) and planned to vote again on the issue in six months.

At the time, most Marylanders thought a strong majority wanted to break away, but I've heard actual troop numbers favored the North by a 2-1 margin. Perhaps that majority was actually a loud minority.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 AM

582 posts, read 777,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
At the time, most Marylanders thought a strong majority wanted to break away, but I've heard actual troop numbers favored the North by a 2-1 margin.
I would think that most Marylanders would feel loyalty to their state no matter what side it was on. Sort of like Robert E Lee, who sided with the confederacy due to a loyalty to Virginia more than any other reason. Sadly, it's hard to read the minds of those in 1861 and figure out their motivations.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What part of MD are you from?
Calvert County

Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,126,117 times
This thread is unbelievable. Maryland, DC, and Virginia are southern states. One of the primary roadways of Northern Virginia (literally just on the other side of the Potomac from DC) is Lee Highway. Lee, being Confederate General Robert E. Lee. Let's not forget roads like Rebel Run or Stonewall Jackson High School. How about Dixie Liquor in DC? One of the longest running debutante balls (Southern) takes place annually in DC. These are just a FEW nuances that make this area undeniably Southern.

DC is the capital of the country. Of course it's going to be fast paced with a bunch of self-important people. However, there is a very Southern feel to DC. Walk around the mall in DC on a hazy, humid summer afternoon and tell me that it does not feel Southern.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,158,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
This thread is unbelievable. Maryland, DC, and Virginia are southern states. One of the primary roadways of Northern Virginia (literally just on the other side of the Potomac from DC) is Lee Highway. Lee, being Confederate General Robert E. Lee. Let's not forget roads like Rebel Run or Stonewall Jackson High School. How about Dixie Liquor in DC? One of the longest running debutante balls (Southern) takes place annually in DC. These are just a FEW nuances that make this area undeniably Southern.

DC is the capital of the country. Of course it's going to be fast paced with a bunch of self-important people. However, there is a very Southern feel to DC. Walk around the mall in DC on a hazy, humid summer afternoon and tell me that it does not feel Southern.
They take place at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC as well. Also, hot & hazy doesn't stop at the Mason- Dixon line. NYC and Philly both get ridiculously humid.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,815,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post

I've done that, and I can definitely tell you it didn't feel southern, to me.

I think it's important to understand the difference between the Old South and the Current South. Virginia and other parts of the southern Mid-Atlantic used to be the focus of all things southern. Nowadays, the focal point is often considered to be around Mississippi, which I feel is culturally a different world than any place in the DMV.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,515,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
They take place at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC as well. Also, hot & hazy doesn't stop at the Mason- Dixon line. NYC and Philly both get ridiculously humid.
Right!

And isnt the Hells Angels headquarters in NYC? Racist biker gangs are so southern...

Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,515,704 times
Of course VA is southern, its historically the most southern state in history. Even in NoVa you got all these roads, buildings, and parks named after Lee and Jackson..

However this doesnt exist in MD and DC.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,797,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Of course VA is southern, its historically the most southern state in history. Even in NoVa you got all these roads, buildings, and parks named after Lee and Jackson..

However this doesnt exist in MD and DC.

Agreed 100%

Culturally DC and MD just aren't southern these days. Anyone that sets foot in Baltimore and/or DC and claims to feel Dixie is either dilusional or in dire need of an explanation as to what Dixie is.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Virginia and other parts of the southern Mid-Atlantic used to be the focus of all things southern. Nowadays, the focal point is often considered to be around Mississippi, which I feel is culturally a different world than any place in the DMV.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or