U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,220,362 times

Advertisements

Take out the DC area of VA and the rest of the state is southern as can be.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,126,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
They take place at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC as well. Also, hot & hazy doesn't stop at the Mason- Dixon line. NYC and Philly both get ridiculously humid.
They picked up the tradition from Southern places like DC! NY and Philly get humid, but for much shorter periods of the year than DC. DC's average summer temperature is right around that of Atlanta's. That is a fact. Magnolia trees are planted all over the city, which you don't find in Philly and New York. Just accept that DC's different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I've done that, and I can definitely tell you it didn't feel southern, to me.

I think it's important to understand the difference between the Old South and the Current South. Virginia and other parts of the southern Mid-Atlantic used to be the focus of all things southern. Nowadays, the focal point is often considered to be around Mississippi, which I feel is culturally a different world than any place in the DMV.
Old or new, the South is the South. Just because there isn't a proliferation of stereotypical Southernisms draping the DMV doesn't mean its not South. DC people may think they have more in common with Philly, NY, and Boston, but people in Philly, NY, and Boston are saying that DC has nothing in common with them. People talk differently, dress differently, and the atmosphere is just more Southern in DC than any place in the Northeast corridor. It's just a fact.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,809,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Its not opinion, its fact. It is a fact that demographically, culturally, and linguistically Maryland fits in with the Northeast much better than the South. Also politically.
Until you have step foot into the state of Maryland instead of going off based n BS opinion you have no solid ground to stand on to tell anyone that Maryland not being a Southern state.....

Despite your BS opinion Maryland is a Southern state.........

Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I repeat, you're cornered. All you have left is denial.
Unless you are a Maryland Tax Paying Citizen there is not a Da*m*n thing you can say that can Dictate against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State.......

Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos4Good View Post
Even though the border states of Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Maryland have some southern influence. The south starts below the border states.
Despite Opinions on here Maryland is still a Southern State may it be a Boarder State or Mid Atlantic State....

Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,815,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
They picked up the tradition from Southern places like DC! NY and Philly get humid, but for much shorter periods of the year than DC. DC's average summer temperature is right around that of Atlanta's. That is a fact. Magnolia trees are planted all over the city, which you don't find in Philly and New York. Just accept that DC's different.

Old or new, the South is the South. Just because there isn't a proliferation of stereotypical Southernisms draping the DMV doesn't mean its not South. DC people may think they have more in common with Philly, NY, and Boston, but people in Philly, NY, and Boston are saying that DC has nothing in common with them. People talk differently, dress differently, and the atmosphere is just more Southern in DC than any place in the Northeast corridor. It's just a fact.
And people in Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, and Birmingham would likely say the same! From my perspective, DC has FAR more in common with the northeastern cities.

I definitely see your points, but it seems that most would not include DC in the cultural south of today. I certainly don't.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Alexandria was also a slave port, which is why it was retroceded from DC (well, that and because the people of Georgetown didn't want to extend the canal down that far and DC was never able to establish any federal buildings on the Virginia side). On top of that, tobacco was the cash crop of Maryland. However, Baltimore had more in common with the North pretty much from the start of the United States (industrialization and trade, particularly with the Great Lakes) and the rest of Maryland moved towards the North with the Civil War (it wasn't hit so hard during Reconstruction, so it didn't have as many bitter feelings). Maryland did have Jim Crowe laws, though.

There are skinheads and KKK everywhere, including the Northeast and Midwest. It's not fair to call the presence of racists a Southern thing.

Edit: Ignore the Alexandria comment. I'm not sure why I thought that was relevant to Maryland.
Most of Alexandria is wrong anyway because it was Arlington, VA that was suposed to fit the other alf of the Washington, DC Diamond..........

The Nations Capital was originally supposed to be in Philly however they wanted the capital to be south of the Mason/Dixon............

Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
A good list but you left out Virginia. Virginia is definitely southern.
So is Maryland......

Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Of course VA is southern, its historically the most southern state in history. Even in NoVa you got all these roads, buildings, and parks named after Lee and Jackson..

However this doesnt exist in MD and DC.
However MD and DC is still in the South.....

It does not have to have streets named after confederate soldiers to claim the South....

I don't recall any major streets in Charlotte, NC or Atlanta, GA being named after Confederate Soldiers.......

Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Agreed 100%

Culturally DC and MD just aren't southern these days. Anyone that sets foot in Baltimore and/or DC and claims to feel Dixie is either dilusional or in dire need of an explanation as to what Dixie is.
Miami, New Orleans, and El Paso Definitely don't feel Southern......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or