Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:22 AM

144 posts, read 270,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
You took it too far lol. Open spaces = southern to NYers. Well, for the most part.
There are plenty of rural areas and open spaces in the northeast. Look at upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Pennsylvania.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
There are plenty of rural areas and open spaces in the northeast. Look at upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Pennsylvania.
That's why I added that last sentence along with the fact that I wasn't talk about rural areas when I meant open spaces. I meant if you go to NYC you won't see too much grass between buildings and sidewalks lol.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notramick View Post
Transplants get no say on native experience, their opinions are a dime a dozen. I have lived in NYC longer than you have likely been alive, judging from your post your 23 tops and that explains everything to me. I have lived in NYC 28 years and Boston area for another 23 years. New England, North NJ, and New York make up a population of 40 million and that's majority of the Northeasts population of 55 million. There are more natives in these areas that were alive long enough to know where DC is.
Judging by your post it clearly evident that you probably haven't been to DC a lot. Most DC natives will say either their city is part of the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic but few would say their city is 100% southern. If you've been around as long as you said you have then you would know that Washington DC is more associated with the northeastern cities than it is with the southern cities. Unless of course you have been living under a rock for the past 50 years.

Quote:
Judging from your posts, I already sense a jift that you only want to claim DC as northern to make a buffer argument for how powerful and world class of a region you live in.
I'm just calling it as I see it. It has nothing to do with trying to claim DC in order to make Philly look good as a World Class region. The Philly area is already one of the top tier cities in the country and doesn't need to piggyback off of the Washington DC area. So your statement sounds somewhat silly.

Quote:
Don't give me the bull about DC's culture being more closely associated with the north because it shares nothing with NYC, if it does with Philly then sorry but Philly's starting to get more influenced by the south.
Checklist of similarities DC has with other Northeastern Cities
Very Dense City Layout............................................ .......check
Dependable Mass Transit System.......................................check
Large Abundance of Rowhomes.......................................... check
Natives With Non-Southern Dialect....................................check
Good Pizza............................................. .......................check
Largely Democratic City.............................................. .....check
Pro Sports Has Higher Popularity Than College Sports..............check
Didn't Join The Confederacy.............................................check

It looks like a lot of similarities to me. When it comes down to it and applying common sense to the argument, you can clearly see that Washington DC has more in common with cities like New York and Boston than it does with cities like Atlanta and Dallas.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM

50 posts, read 88,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

Checklist of similarities DC has with other Northeastern Cities
Very Dense City Layout............................................ .......check
Dependable Mass Transit System.......................................check
Large Abundance of Rowhomes.......................................... check
Natives With Non-Southern Dialect....................................check
Good Pizza............................................. .......................check
Largely Democratic City.............................................. .....check
Pro Sports Has Higher Popularity Than College Sports..............check
Didn't Join The Confederacy.............................................check

It looks like a lot of similarities to me. When it comes down to it and applying common sense to the argument, you can clearly see that Washington DC has more in common with cities like New York and Boston than it does with cities like Atlanta and Dallas.
LMAO

So a city that is dense has to be northeastern? Tell someone in Paris they're northeastern, Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Doha!

DC wasnt allowed to join the confederacy nor was the CSA treated as a separate country. Maybe you dont know the definition of the "civil war" but its a war that happens within a country, if the opposers win then they become a nation otherwise they are never accepted as separate. DC was the capital of the USA not the union, not the CSA, the USA therefore it was mandated it could secede nor was it put on the ballot. However Maryland marginally voted in favor of secession but couldn't because it was close to the district that is why it was granted special privaleges to remain a slave state while still being apart of the union. Same amnesty was granted to a few other border states.

Politically DC changes as presidents do. It wasnt that long ago during the Bush years that DC was republican, less than 10 years ago because the administration was republican. VA was republican and not the swing state it is now. If politics had anything to do with northern and southern then you can cross Austin, Miami, Atlanta, El Paso, New Orleans, and several other southern cities off the list of being southern.

DC is not a big college pride town? Drive around more, seriously if you havent seen the frat stickers or alma mater license plates all over DC. So many cars have that, and no you definitely dont see much of that in NYC or Boston.

HAHAHAHA good pizza is an indication of being northern? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Who the hell am I debating with?

Kid, let me know when you wake up from your pink skyed world. I am done here. That's just about near the closest thing I have heard online to a down syddrome person trying to argue the merits of the conversation.

Nevermind the other jibberish asking me when I have been to DC or haven't, I at least can make references to the physical set up of DC, name streets in DC, heck I can name intersections and exact areas of DC that youll find all of its southern qualities. I already have with the Pennsylvania ave reference and if you want more then drive 295 from Baltimore to DC, when the sign says "welcome to Washington, DC!" look around long and hard and tell me how that's any different than southeast and southwest Atlanta. LMAO

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times
Growing up in southwest VA I NEVER considered dc to be an even remotely southern city. My grandma said she can remember when dc used to have a southern feel to it but that was a lonnnggg time ago! In va you've gotta be south of Fredericksburg....damn near to Charlottesville before it feels southern. You really start to pick up on it because the restaurants and the diehard college football fans....in dc you just don't see anything southern imo

Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 AM

50 posts, read 88,602 times
"Calling it as I see it"

Thanks for the honesty kid but..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

almost done

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

LMAO, LMFAO

Kid, take up stand up comedy. Youre way to talented to pass on that offer.

LMAO "good pizza" a northern characteristic. "dense" another specifically northern characteristic. I guess you havent seen Miami or New Orleans then let alone Paris, London, Hong Kong, San Francisco! Now he's going to tell me southern cities arent known for good pizza (which they arent but neither is DC) or they dont have good pizza (which is ridiculous).

Just hilarious.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Anything north of Atlanta is too far north for me.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 AM

Southern Man:::

Bristol Motor Speedway??? Too far north!?!?! C'mon!!!.....How about Darlington??? These are hotbeds of the south.

See...this is what I didn't get prior to reading these city data posts. Some people say that Maryland is south (which I think is a bit of a stretch). And then you have guys like southern man who apparently thinks South Carolina and Tennessee are bastions of Yankee-dom. Why so many definitions of one geographic region???

Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Where is the south? I guess the next question is where is the United States?...

SMH!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM

Ok...here is my south. Lets just see how many people have a quarrell with my definiton........lets just see...

South starting from the north headed down
------------------------------------------
VA (excluding nova/dc)
KY (excluding western KY)
NC (excluding raleigh-durham)
SC
TN
GA (excluding ATL) **I know some people will fight on that one but I haven't ever felt what I regard as "south" in ATL
MS
AL
LA (excluding New Orleans)
AR
FL (Panhandle and North Central)
TX (Eastern)

Um...those are the places I always felt were south. I'm going to guess it will take about 10 minutes for someone to either expand that list by 4 or 5 states or reduce it by 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.