U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,512,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
But your not from Maryland......
Laws aside DC is a Maryland city. DC drives up Maryland's economy more than Bmore and DC has more influence than Bmore. DC has more MTA commuter buses and MARC train lines than Bmore does as well. Fhe redskins play in Maryland lol. You can walk across a street and wouldnt know the difference. DC and VA are separated by a river. The land DC sits on was Maryland. DC shares the same culture as Maryland, everyone eata crabs here and crabs are even sold in carryouts. Hell crabas in DC are better than Baltimore crabs lol.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:15 AM

17,235 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Duh, it's the capital of the U.S., so its connections with those places are largely the results of that. But let's not act as though DC is a global city in the very same way cities like NYC, Chicago, Paris, London, Hong Kong, etc. are because that would be semi-laughable.
DC already ranks in the top 10 in reputable global cities indexes, so right after these group of cities. On the CSA level, it has the highest median household income in the nation, and an economy larger than Chicago's. The difference between D.C. and Chicago is almost splitting hairs at this point. This ain't no D.C. from yesteryears. Don't let the short buildings downtown fool you. :-)

Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,798,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Fhe redskins play in Maryland lol.
The headquarters and training facility are in Virginia, though.

DC and VA are separated by a river, but I honestly felt that the entire area just bled together. I never got that feeling of "okay, now I'm in VA. Things are different here." It all felt cohesive.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
DC already ranks in the top 10 in reputable global cities indexes, so right after these group of cities. On the CSA level, it has the highest median household income in the nation, and an economy larger than Chicago's. The difference between D.C. and Chicago is almost splitting hairs at this point. This ain't no D.C. from yesteryears. Don't let the short buildings downtown fool you. :-)
Qualitatively, DC isn't close to being the same kind of city as NYC, Chicago, London, Hong Kong, Paris, etc. Those cities developed an organic economy over long periods of time based on trade and commerce. DC is merely the primary beneficiary of the largesse of the U.S. government and its ancillary industries and little else. I'm not a DC hater by any means; I thoroughly enjoy the city for what it is when I visit and wouldn't even mind living there, but this is a fact.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:39 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,750,552 times
Although DC is technically not part of Maryland, it's surrounded by Maryland and always seemed more culturally linked to Maryland than it did to VA. Maryland Counties like Prince Georges seemed more similar to DC than NoVa seemed to DC.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Although DC is technically not part of Maryland, it's surrounded by Maryland and always seemed more culturally linked to Maryland than it did to VA. Maryland Counties like Prince Georges seemed more similar to DC than NoVa seemed to DC.
More connected to DC that say Arlington, Alexandria, Reston, or Tyson's Corner? NOVA seems just as much a part of DC as the Maryland suburbs...maybe your just biased.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:55 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,750,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
More connected to DC that say Arlington, Alexandria, Reston, or Tyson's Corner? NOVA seems just as much a part of DC as the Maryland suburbs...maybe your just biased.
Biased? I'm not from Maryland, or DC, or NoVa, or anywhere in the state of VA.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:54 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,320,280 times
Quote:
Duh, it's the capital of the U.S., so its connections with those places are largely the results of that. But let's not act as though DC is a global city in the very same way cities like NYC, Chicago, Paris, London, Hong Kong, etc. are because that would be semi-laughable.
Why are you so offended?

I feel like I struck a nerve and I wasn't even trying to do that. My point is that Washington DC is by no means a regional feeling city. So these north, south, east, west threads are pretty laughable to read honestly. Do people look at the names of these regions? What the hell is going through their mind when they see the word "south"? Trailer parks? What goes through my mind is the "South" arrow on a compass because that's what the south is in the 21st century, a geographic location.

Washington DC is tied to all countries that Americans have designated foreign relations with. So yes, Beijing, London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Bangkok, Canberra, Ottawa, Tokyo, Delhi, Jakarta, Ankara, and so on and so forth. To deny that is an absurdity considering many of them have set shop on their embassies here and leaders visit to negotiate with the President and his administration.

Other cities and you may recognize some of these that Washington DC has connections with are other international level cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Mexico City, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, Boston, Seattle, Frankfurt, Melbourne, Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, Chicago, Auckland, Montreal, and so on and so forth.

Washington DC has by far more in common with those international cities than "southern" cities like Jackson, Edmond, Baton Rouge, or where ever else.

In my opinion, the south is so irrelevant to the 21st century. A century run by cities.

Feel free to disagree if you like, doesn't really matter to me though. We probably hold different opinions and priorities and world views.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-15-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
Why are you so offended?

I feel like I struck a nerve and I wasn't even trying to do that. My point is that Washington DC is by no means a regional feeling city. So these north, south, east, west threads are pretty laughable to read honestly. Do people look at the names of these regions? What the hell is going through their mind when they see the word "south"? Trailer parks? What goes through my mind is the "South" arrow on a compass because that's what the south is in the 21st century, a geographic location.

Washington DC is tied to all countries that American have designated foreign relations with. So yes, Beijing, London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Bangkok, Canberra, Ottawa, Tokyo, Delhi, Jakarta, Ankara, and so on and so forth. To deny that is an absurdity considering many of them have set shop on their embassies here and leaders visit to negotiate with the President and his administration.

Other cities and you may recognize some of these that Washington DC has connections with are other international level cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Mexico City, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, Boston, Seattle, Frankfurt, Melbourne, Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, Chicago, Auckland, Montreal, and so on and so forth.

Washington DC has by far more in common with those international cities than "southern" cities like Jackson, Edmond, Baton Rouge, or where ever else.

In my opinion, the south is so irrelevant to the 21st century. A century run by cities.

Feel free to disagree if you like, doesn't really matter to me though. We probably hold different opinions and priorities and world views.
"Why are you so offended"....that was cute; even made me chuckle a bit.

What's even more laughable is that you think the cultural elements and history that have given the South its own distinct identity were all of a sudden erased when we entered the 21st century. Say what you will about DC's disassociation with the South, the North, or wherever else, but your overall ignorance as to the reality of regional cultural dynamism in the U.S., or hell even in general, is completely inexcusable. But hey, you're probably just the run-of-the-mill transplanted gentrifier who hasn't the slightest clue about even DC's unique history, heritage, and culture and think the city only gained any sort of relevance until yuppies started taking it over. It's really the epitome of disrespect.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,320,280 times
Quote:
It's really the epitome of disrespect.
Oh that's cool with me.

Of course cultural things about the south are being erased! The "south" which is really just a mindset more than anything else is shrinking on the map as cities get larger and start thinking more globally. Ask how many of your Korean residents in Atlanta are calling themselves a "southerner".

Well then in that case I'm glad yuppies started taking over Washington DC. It's a much better place now than it was in the past! I hope immigration, migration, and yuppies keep infilling Washington in that case.

I never really cared about history and all of that nonsense in the first place. History smishtory. Honestly, history is cool so long as we leave it at what it is and that's the past. Deep down in history Washington DC was "in the south" and was southern but how does that affect the city today? Is it in the south or southern? No way its not. Today it doesn't compete with regional and domestic places like Hartford or Fargo or Richmond but instead it has entered the 21st century of global competition and competes with the likes of Ankara, Beijing, Delhi, Moscow, and so on and so forth. I'm not saying forget what our ancestors have done, what they fought for, what they gave their lives to give us, simply that we move past those things and enter a futuristic mindset.

I'm just a big city minded person thinking internationally. I can see you're not like that, so sorry we don't understand each other.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-15-2012 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or