U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 12:39 PM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
dc and md is just an annex of the north only, but the people there
don't necessarily show love for or identify with the north or the
south. it's like there just stuck between both worlds.
There's truth to this. Near the DC area, you get a taste of both worlds. Most of Maryland, DC and Northern Virginia are northern "lite." Most of the rest of Virginia is southern "lite." So, the whole place is transitional.

Plus, there's northern Appalachian culture in western Maryland and a tidewater vibe on the eastern shore of Maryland and Virginia, which complicate things further. But, we try to keep things simpler here for the sake of this discussion. :-)

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
DC isn't the south anyway so why waste our time...who cares about building density, ratio of pizza shops to chicken shacks, brick color, or unicorn horns? Any southerner in their right mind left that pit long ago and moved further down into VA where they belong. The updated mason dixon needs to be well south of I66....refer to my post of the states that I believe are southern states or areas. Do you have any quarrells with that post? I'm just curious if I encompassed the cultural south today...thats what i'm looking into.
If I had to go by strict state borders than I would say anything south of the Potomac River but I think Northern Virginia is the transition zone from the South to the Northeast.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:52 PM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
I recently did a poll on the Northern Virginia sub-forum and was a bit surprised at just how strongly the voters identify with the northeast over the southeast:

Is NOVA part of the southeastern or northeastern U.S. culturally?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:52 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,794,252 times
BigCityDreamer:
Get on youtube and watch an episode of Moonshiners and come talk to me about "southern lite" in va beyond nova. To me VA goes as follows:

DC---Entirely unsouthern
NOVA---Culturally unsouthern but confederate street names and high schools
NOVA/DC Exurbs (Culpepper, Winchester, Front Royal)---southern lite...small accents and random "coutnry kitchens." Not difficult to get sweet tea.
Larger Central VA cities (C'Ville, Richmond)---Some out of towners but predominately southern in culture....I mean...the confederate white house....c'mon! UVA's football traditiona is always mentioned in southern living's poll of top tailgating schools in the south. As a UVA alum I can tell you there is a very debutante *sp* feel to the uva football games...I've still got my cotton bow ties!
Tidewater---depends on who you're talking to. Locals...southern...military people...mid atlantic....emporia...scary, lol
Rest of VA---VERY appalachian feeling in the west and southern feeling elsewhere...particularly southside near danville and lynchburg.

But seriously...check out an episode of moonshiners on youtube...it actually is a fun show to watch. I really enjoyed it.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,794,252 times
Of course they idenity with the northeast...thats where they're all from.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:57 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,076,909 times
To me, states like Arkansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina are transition states.

States like Tennessee and South Carolina are the south.

States like Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia are the "dirty south."

States like Oklahoma, Missouri and Virginia have some light southern influence.

States like Texas and Florida have portions of their state truly in the "dirty south" but portions completely outside of it as well (like south Florida or the transpecos).

I don't even get where people are coming from when they try to refer to Maryland, or even Delaware as the south

Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,662,662 times
^^^ What exactly is the definition of the "dirty" South?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,076,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
^^^ What exactly is the definition of the "dirty" South?
It's not a hard or fast definition. Just a feeling that this is as "south" as it gets.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,627,108 times
Default dirty South

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
It's not a hard or fast definition. Just a feeling that this is as "south" as it gets.
Some of us would probably use a different phrase. Possibly Real South.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:15 PM

582 posts, read 776,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I don't even get where people are coming from when they try to refer to Maryland, or even Delaware as the south
Because they don't quite belong with the North either and people want to put them in some region. Maryland and Virginia were the major center of the "Old South" - which excludes most of today's "Dirty South".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or