Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 12:39 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,384,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How is western Maryland southern? I think of that area as northeast Appalachia, similar to Pittsburgh. In fact, there's considerable influence from Pittsburgh in western Maryland. Cumberland, Maryland is also a rust belt town.
The same way Northern Virginia is Southern, South Florida is Southern, Northwest Georgia is Southern, and South Texas(Tex/Mex) is Southern.........

Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,384,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRAZORHOG View Post
There is no dirty south. That's an expression from southern hip hop. Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia are all in the south
So are Maryland and most of Delaware is in the South...........

Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,971,696 times
South is FL, NC, GA, MS, AL, LA, OK, AR, KY, TX, VA, WV, MD, DC, SC, and TN

Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,160,758 times
$mk8795
Key word here is you in which Your opinion will never trump against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why don't you enlighten me as to what fact that is seemingly out there that only you are aware of that makes Maryland southern. According to the poll taken by UNC most Maryland residents don't consider it southern nor do they consider themselves southern. You seem to be in the minority. But...that being said I personally have only been to Baltimore so I really have no frame of reference...I won't pretend to make assertions here. However, all the threads i've come across regarding southernness or deleware/maryland feature most people stating they are from the mid-atlantic, not the south. So, I guess my question would be what makes Maryland (or Deleware for that matter) southern? I just don't see it but I am definitely open to being convinced.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:55 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
$mk8795
Key word here is you in which Your opinion will never trump against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why don't you enlighten me as to what fact that is seemingly out there that only you are aware of that makes Maryland southern. According to the poll taken by UNC most Maryland residents don't consider it southern nor do they consider themselves southern. You seem to be in the minority. But...that being said I personally have only been to Baltimore so I really have no frame of reference...I won't pretend to make assertions here. However, all the threads i've come across regarding southernness or deleware/maryland feature most people stating they are from the mid-atlantic, not the south. So, I guess my question would be what makes Maryland (or Deleware for that matter) southern? I just don't see it but I am definitely open to being convinced.
Don't waste your time. He is basically a robot that shows up when anyone states that Maryland or Delaware isn't part of the south.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Ahhhhhh I see. Thanks for the heads up

Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 PM

27,267 posts, read 28,333,820 times
Here are a couple of pics of Cumberland, Maryland. So, does this look southern, northern, mid-western or what?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:26 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,644,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRAZORHOG View Post
There is no dirty south. That's an expression from southern hip hop. Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia are all in the south
a) there is a dirty south
b) that's your opinion, and not mine. I don't find Kentucky, Virginia southern. If you wanna consider them southern be my guest, but you won't change my opinion.

Texas and Florida have southern sections but non-southern sections as well. They are too big or diverse to be put neatly in one label.

North Carolina and Arkansas are transition states as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
b) that's your opinion, and not mine. I don't find Kentucky, Virginia southern. If you wanna consider them southern be my guest, but you won't change my opinion.

Texas and Florida have southern sections but non-southern sections as well. They are too big or diverse to be put neatly in one label.

CORRECTION

a) There isn't a dirty south. However we do have whats referred to as Deep south. I can see how it must be confusing for you because both Dirty and Deep start with a "D" but I can assure you the "dirty" that you are referring to should be Deep....I'll await your reply on that one.

b) Virginia fought in the civil war for the south, the confederate white house is in Richmond, the majority of virginians speak with a southern accent, the first ever sweet tea recipe was published in housekeeping in old virginia, the first recorded country song was in bristol, va, two of the biggest civil war (southern) military heroes...robert e lee and stonewall jackson are virginians, we have TONS of kudzu, nascar got its start between nc/va because moonshine runners, in the "is your state southern poll" by UNC over 80% of virginians regarded themselves as living in the south, UNC and UVA's annual football game is regarded as "The South's Oldest Rivalty." I mean.....good god dude..what more do you want?

.......and ky is southern too......The home of bourbon...midwester? C'mon.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:50 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post

First off, I can assure you the Jackson Purchase region of Kentucky (West of KY Lake to the Mississippi River) is solidly in the south and affiliated with the Mid-South region. (Not sure about the rest of KY haven't spent much time there) Secondly, what is transitional about Arkansas? Go to Blytheville, Arkansas (which is on Arkansas's northern border) and tell me you aren't COMPLETELY in the south even though it is on the northern border of Missouri, which brings me to my last point. The first 50 miles of the Missouri bootheel are also solidly part of the south so Northeast Arkansas doesn't even border the midwest.

I feel that historically Virginia was such an important part of the south that it will always be a southern state, no matter how many transplants move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.