Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 PM

581 posts, read 969,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
People in Maryland say NC is mid atlantic as well? I can only assume that is purely a geographic reference?
Only sometimes. Northern coastal North Carolina is seen to be similar to Maryland, NC is a very culturally diverse and large state, and Maryland could nearly fit into the NE area. I have heard many North Carolinans describe themselves as "the southernmost Mid-Atlantic State" and MD as "the northernmost mid-atlantic state" so apparently the feeling is mutual.
VA, MD, DE are considered the essential Mid-Atlantic and other additions are rare. South Jersey and North Carolina are simply the more common of these additions.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:56 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
Interesting...I guess you learn something new everyday!

I go to the obx every other year for a family reunion and i've periodically (more so lately) noticed some businesses that have "mid atlatic" in the title....guess I just never thought about it.

Hm...does mid atlantic have any cultural inclinations? Again, I always thought of it as a geographic indicator but I don't know anymore, lol
Before I got on these damn city data threads I just always thought va down was the south...dc and maryland were the start of the "north," and everything else just fell into place. Turns out Virginia is the northeast, maryland is just south of england, new york took over maine, and iceland burnt down. I'm confused, haha

Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:

I go to the obx every other year for a family reunion and i've periodically (more so lately) noticed some businesses that have "mid atlatic" in the title....guess I just never thought about it.

Hm...does mid atlantic have any cultural inclinations? Again, I always thought of it as a geographic indicator but I don't know anymore, lol

It seems we can throw geography in the trash. On this forum you can be whatever you wish to be. All you have to do is consider yourself Southern or Northern and presto there you are . Most of us with any education at all knows what states are what. What you consider yourself does not matter, if you live in a certain region you are what you are.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Ain't it, by god! haha

Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It seems we can throw geography in the trash. On this forum you can be whatever you wish to be. All you have to do is consider yourself Southern or Northern and presto there you are . Most of us with any education at all knows what states are what. What you consider yourself does not matter, if you live in a certain region you are what you are.
I think most of the debate is over where the borders of the regions are.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
NC is mid-atlantic now? I've never heard that one before.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM

That seems to be the case. Not many people with an IQ above room temperature will debate the southernness of the deep south states like MS or Alabama. The common denomenators between what states are and aren't southern these days seems to be a mixture of either being at the supposed geographic border of the south or having a lot of transplants. To me, Maryland (not deleware) falls squarely into this. Again, I've only ever been to Baltimore so I really don't feel that qualified to reduce the entire idenitity of the state based on my 4 hours in one city, but my time in Maryland led me to believe it was a "northern" city. I was up there for a baseball tournament in high school and all the kids from the school we played in Silver Springs called us hicks, rednecks, slack jawed yokels, hillbillys, etc. I can distinctly recall one of my buddies saying, "doesn't look like we're in rebel territory anymore." Now, granted this was ONE isolated experience and these kids were likely the product of transplant parents being that close to DC but that is my experience with Maryland.

NOVA is the same way though. I made the argument on either this thread or another, i don't recall but this is what i've deduced...
On that UNC poll they ask two questions, "is your state in the south?" and "do you consider yourself southern?" 82% of Virginians said that their state is located in the south. 82% to me sounds like a pretty good majority. Now...only 60% said that they themselves are southerners...so naturally that means that 40% said they aren't. NOVA's population in the state of VA is roughly 37% according to the 2010 census....so if you factor 37% of NOVA residents and factor out a few in the tidewater area that are military products the figures will wash out.

What i'm getting at...remove the top 5 counties in the state of VA leaving the other 100+ counties and you have an OVERWHELMINGLY southern state with an OVERWHELMING majority regarding themselves as southerners. I don't see any fault in that but if someone does let me know

Old 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM

581 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:

Before I got on these damn city data threads I just always thought va down was the south...dc and maryland were the start of the "north," and everything else just fell into place. Turns out Virginia is the northeast, maryland is just south of england, new york took over maine, and iceland burnt down. I'm confused, haha
Before I got on City Data I had never heard that the Mid-Atlantic was considered a part of the northeast, or that Pennsylvania or New York were considered Mid-Atlantic. It was always MD, VA, DE, with VA usually being also southern and MD sometimes also being southern.

From what i've always heard in in MD, Mid-Atlantic culture sort of represents a mix of southern and northern influences and heavy maritime influences. Historically the Mid-Atlantic was the original south, and it's origins are in the coastal tobacco plantations. As "the south" moved south and grew cotton, the mid-atlantic took influences from both other regions, MD and DE absorbing more NE culture than Virginia, which took in more influences from South Carolina. The region's food is similar to southern food but not the same, and the region was the most internally conflicted in the civil war. The MD-VA-NC economic area connects the states and migrating between these states is common.

Here in my town we've got Southern Lumber, Feed and Farm Supply 'A Southern States Alliance Member', Mid-Atlantic Dentistry (or something like that), and more. Interestingly the "southern" labels seem to go on supply stores and restaurants, while the "mid-atlantic" label tends to go on offices and such.

Fun fact about England and Iceland and whatever: MD is around the same level north as central Portugal, and maine only hits southern France!. So really the whole USA is pretty geographically south to the Europeans.

Quote:
I was up there for a baseball tournament in high school and all the kids from the school we played in Silver Springs called us hicks, rednecks, slack jawed yokels, hillbillys, etc. I can distinctly recall one of my buddies saying, "doesn't look like we're in rebel territory anymore."
Even Marylanders avoid Silver Spring, and Montgomery County in general. It's usually considered "the least Maryland part of Maryland." I've heard several suggestions of exiling it from the state or building a wall around it. Baltimore is a northern city with southern roots, and southern influence in the SE suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Really? It's not usually included but i've definitely heard it called Mid-Atlantic by both Marylanders and Carolinans multiple times.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 08-23-2012 at 05:02 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post

Only on this forum. But hey you can be whatever you want to be here. This is magicland.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM

Interesting...I'm sure virginia has mid atlantic labeled businesses and such as well over in the tidewater area but I never go there. Norfolk is about 7 hours from Bristol where I grew up. In Bristol most businesses are either Southern this and that or Appalachian this and that. Actually to be honest, most things are probably Appalachian. I can think of about 10 businesses with Appalachian in the title but only like three with southern. The dixie laundry mat is there too but I guess I would factor that in with southern. I feel like most people in southwest virginia cling to appalchian mountain culture almost as much or more than southern. You notice it very heavily in the cooking, bluegrass, vocabulary, and the accent, mine included. It is VERY VERY rhotic. We pronounce the hell out of R's. Especially in words like hollow (holler) and wash (warsh). In the piedmont area in va they all sound like Ward Burton (Wuud Buuuhton), lol.

Something I've always wondered....In appalachia we have a few random words that i've never heard anywhere else. Do others ever refer to shopping carts as buggy's, biscuits as cat heads, roadkill as kyarn, ghosts as haints, fireplace mantels and fireboards, or sideways as si-gogglin? There are a ton more but I think that list is sufficient for now. I've always heard these words growing up but when I say them elsewhere people think i'm either a hick...or just retarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.