Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amercity View Post
geographically anything below the ohio river and the mason dixon line is considered the south but culturally the south is virginia, north carolina, south carolina, georgia, florida, mississippi, alabama, kentucky, tennessee, arkansas, texas and possibly oklahoma. West virginia, missouri are never considered a part of the south but have large areas that identify with the south. Virginia, tennessee and kentucky are considered the south culutrally but are grouped as the upper south because they differ from the deep south and the rest of the south in general. You can argue all you want but this is probably the most realistic answer
bs.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
bs.
Enlightening....anything else you'd like to add?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
It's Appalachian more than anything else, it just depends on what part of Appalachia you think it belongs to. I think there are valid reasons to place it in either part.
Western Maryland today is like the northern third of West Virginia: Appalachian, but not Southern. The only parts of Maryland that are culturally Southern these days are southern and southeastern Maryland (south of U.S. 50). Northern Maryland feels like a southern extension of eastern Pennsylvania, and western Maryland feels like a southern extension of western Pennsylvania.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:00 AM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Western Maryland today is like the northern third of West Virginia: Appalachian, but not Southern. The only parts of Maryland that are culturally Southern these days are southern and southeastern Maryland (south of U.S. 50). Northern Maryland feels like a southern extension of eastern Pennsylvania, and western Maryland feels like a southern extension of western Pennsylvania.
Yes, I know. Once again I was just trying to temporarily please M$whatever to get him to be sane but it didn't work.
(I was trying to give him Western Maryland so he wouldn't call me out on that, but instead answer my question.)
It has some southern accents but that's about it. It's not much like the appalachians of northwest PA and NY in my opinion, and nothing like SW Virginia, so I consider it sort of middle-appalachian.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 08-24-2012 at 06:43 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
bs.
Oh please, seems spot on to me. Do you have anything to add or take away?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I think when determining where the American South "is" we have to look at both geography AND history - with history given the most weight, considering that 150 years later, we are still feeling the effects of the most deadly war in American history (more Americans were killed in the Civil War than in WW1, WW2, Vietnam, and Korea combined).

Generally speaking (and of course there are exceptions, especially in large urban areas), the southern States which were part of the Confederacy remain culturally part of the South. And - this is the really cool thing - they are also geographically part of the South! (Say it ain't so!)

Yes, there are parts of the Midwest, and West Virginia, and Kentucky, and Maryland, which have a southern vibe to them, and there are parts of Virginia, and Texas, and Florida which definitely DON'T feel "southern," but those are pockets of communities within distinctly Southern states.

Those states are:

Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Texas
Arkansas
Tennessee
Florida

The "border" states of WV, KY, MO, and OK definitely have some strong Southern characteristics. Maryland feels the least "southern" to me, and I've lived there twice. I would definitely label Maryland as "mid Atlantic" but distinctly Northern.

Speaking of the Civil War, Maryland was a land of bloodbaths during that time. The battle of Antietam had over 23,000 casualties - in ONE day - more than all the casualties of the Revolutionary War. And neither side won - the battle was a draw.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:18 AM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maryland feels the least "southern" to me, and I've lived there twice. I would definitely label Maryland as "mid Atlantic" but distinctly Northern.
Maryland's southernness is entirely of the Tidewater variety, which apparently is questionably 'truly southern' to many people anyway. It's got next to nothing to do with the deep south and is really just Chesapeake Bay culture. MD is southern in the sense of the "Old South", but not in the sense of the "New South".

Quote:
The "border" states of WV, KY, MO, and OK definitely have some strong Southern characteristics. Maryland feels the least "southern" to me, and I've lived there twice.
To me Missouri definitely felt the least southern of the bunch. MD fits my standards, but not necessarily yours, for 'undefinable'.
As a southern Marylander I definitely consider myself southern but I would never push the southern label on Baltimorons or the like. Regardless of cultural boundaries I still sing "Dixie" every time I cross the MD/PA line.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 08-24-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
Quote:
I think when determining where the American South "is" we have to look at both geography AND history - with history given the most weight, considering that 150 years later, we are still feeling the effects of the most deadly war in American history (more Americans were killed in the Civil War than in WW1, WW2, Vietnam, and Korea combined).

Generally speaking (and of course there are exceptions, especially in large urban areas), the southern States which were part of the Confederacy remain culturally part of the South. And - this is the really cool thing - they are also geographically part of the South! (Say it ain't so!)

Yes, there are parts of the Midwest, and West Virginia, and Kentucky, and Maryland, which have a southern vibe to them, and there are parts of Virginia, and Texas, and Florida which definitely DON'T feel "southern," but those are pockets of communities within distinctly Southern states.

Those states are:

Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Texas
Arkansas
Tennessee
Florida

The "border" states of WV, KY, MO, and OK definitely have some strong Southern characteristics. Maryland feels the least "southern" to me, and I've lived there twice. I would definitely label Maryland as "mid Atlantic" but distinctly Northern.

Speaking of the Civil War, Maryland was a land of bloodbaths during that time. The battle of Antietam had over 23,000 casualties - in ONE day - more than all the casualties of the Revolutionary War. And neither side won - the battle was a draw.
Those states seem to be a pretty comprehensive definition to me. The only state I personally would add is Kentucky and that is only because I've only ever spent any real time in Eastern KY. Eastern KY's coal fields and the culture in general very closely mirror southwest va, east tennessee, and western nc. Their culture if very defined by Appalachia and the mountains in general. In Pikeville, KY every year they have this awesome festival called Hillbilly Days. Tons of music, bourbon, rednecks, and fist fights...I LOVE IT. I've never been to western KY to speak for the rest of the state but eastern ky has always felt just as much like the boondocks as southwest va.....and by god I love the boondocks!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:

Those states are:

Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Texas
Arkansas
Tennessee
Florida

Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
Following this thread and others like it got me wondering. As far as the people from states where it is frequently debated as to whether they are or are not Southern, Do some feel that there is an advantage to being considered a Southerner, or is it things such as Southern Hospitality and the laidback lifestyle that they like to idtentify with? As for me, I am originally from one of the areas that is frequently debated as Southern or non-Southern (South Florida), but have long since moved away. Would I say South Florida is in the South? Geographically - definitely, Culturally - yes, but there are a lot of non-Southern influences, especially in the urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.