Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times

Advertisements

Ok...since we've been discussing this for over 30 pages now with well over 300 threads, I think we've safely defined what where the south is and where it isn't.

Another question I've had for a while...what MAJOR city in the south (VA,NC,TN,SC,GA,AL,MS,LA,AR,TX,FL) is most southern? In VA, NOVA isn't southern at all. In NC, Raleigh isn't southern. In GA, Atlanta doesn't feel southern. In LA, New Orleans feels like something all on it's own as well. Same with Miami, Tampa, and Orlando in FL...not southern. So what MAJOR city in the south feels like a completely southern city. And by major I obviously don't necessarily mean NYC size...just a bigger city. By that I mean free or largely free of migration from the NE, still retains a fairly strong dialect, and still exhibits traits that are widely regarded as southern (high rates of church attendance, adherrance to college football, cuisine, etc). My first inclination would go to cities like Mobile, AL, Danville, VA, Knoxille, TN, etc....

Any thoughts.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:43 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Atlanta feels totally southern....Sorry, it's a huge metro area, but that doesn't make it any less Southern

Last edited by sonofaque86; 09-04-2012 at 05:01 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Never have liked kudzu. I call it crudzu

Old 09-04-2012, 05:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Ok...since we've been discussing this for over 30 pages now with well over 300 threads, I think we've safely defined what where the south is and where it isn't.

Another question I've had for a while...what MAJOR city in the south (VA,NC,TN,SC,GA,AL,MS,LA,AR,TX,FL) is most southern? In VA, NOVA isn't southern at all. In NC, Raleigh isn't southern. In GA, Atlanta doesn't feel southern. In LA, New Orleans feels like something all on it's own as well. Same with Miami, Tampa, and Orlando in FL...not southern. So what MAJOR city in the south feels like a completely southern city. And by major I obviously don't necessarily mean NYC size...just a bigger city. By that I mean free or largely free of migration from the NE, still retains a fairly strong dialect, and still exhibits traits that are widely regarded as southern (high rates of church attendance, adherrance to college football, cuisine, etc). My first inclination would go to cities like Mobile, AL, Danville, VA, Knoxille, TN, etc....

Any thoughts.
Atlanta and Raleigh feel Southern to me. Not extremely so in the small-town sense, but you couldn't mistake them for being in any other region of the country IMO.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta and Raleigh feel Southern to me. Not extremely so in the small-town sense, but you couldn't mistake them for being in any other region of the country IMO.

I could concede Atlanta maybe but the raleigh durham area just does NOT feel southern to me these days. And IMO the suburbs are worse...Cary...Apex...Wake Forest. Not even a little bit these days

Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times
No Washingtonian or Marylander with any self respect is gonna call themselves southerners.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post

Any thoughts.
All of thoses cities except Miami feel extremely southern. Atlanta is dixie land USA and always will be.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
No Washingtonian or Marylander with any self respect is gonna call themselves southerners.
Well...neither dc nor Maryland are southern so that would follow suit.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Atlanta feels totally southern....Sorry, it's a huge metro area, but that doesn't make it any less Southern
Yeah I think it's southern too.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Yeah, southern = bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.