Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 01:15 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,384,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I just wanted to know what your opinion was on the matter. Of course I don't believe Cincinnati or Philly are Southern States. Just like I made valid points on why Maryland isn't all that southern as you think it is.
Oh OK so you don't believe that Kentucky and West Virginia are Southern States either?????????

Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,924,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Oh OK so you don't believe that Kentucky and West Virginia are Southern States either.......
They are both Southern and are not generally considered Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic states, though some small parts of West Virginia might be considered part of the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
They are both Southern and are not generally considered Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic states.
So Pretty much you have not made any valid points to prove that Maryland not being "Southern"....

And despite your opinion Maryland is a Southern state......

Old 09-06-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
So Pretty much you have not made any valid points to prove that Maryland not being "Southern"....

And despite your opinion Maryland is a Southern state......
Here the thing though, the census isn't perfect and it seems like that is the one big you rely on. We all know the Census uses the very flawed Mason-Dixon line approach, which I had already proven it' flaws. If the Census told you cows can fly, would you believe that as fact because they said it was official?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Here the thing though, the census isn't perfect and it seems like that is the one big you rely on. We all know the Census uses the very flawed Mason-Dixon line approach, which I had already proven it' flaws. If the Census told you cows can fly, would you believe that as fact because they said it was official?
Umm Hmm and Maryland is still a Southern State despite your non-perfect opinion........

Last edited by $mk8795; 09-06-2012 at 01:44 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
OK and Maryland is still a Southern State despite your opinions........
And it's also part of the Mid-Atlantic region with includes Northern states like Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc. Southern state or not Maryland is still culturally tied to what southerners call "Yankee States".

Old 09-06-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
And it's also part of the Mid-Atlantic region with includes Northern states like Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc. Southern state or not Maryland is still culturally to what southerners call "Yankee States".
And again your proving my point that you are speaking based on opinion that will Never Dictate Against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State......

Maryland is not a Northern State and thats the way it is despite your opinion.......

And I also have a problem believing that you have ever step foot into the state of Maryland or else you would not type the words you're typing......

Old 09-06-2012, 02:05 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,833,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
You ask a very good question indeed! I don't think the North has the same level of identity as "the North" like the South has. On another thread, one poster pointed out that people from Northern states generally don't think about being Northerners much until they go to the South and are kind of confronted with it there. I find that the Northeast and Midwest, both of which make up the North, generally feel no connection to each other. Chicago and NYC, for example do not share a sense of kinship as Northern cities like Atlanta and New Orleans do as Southern cities. There is definitely a shared kinship between Midwesters and to a smaller degree, Northeasterners. With Northeasterners, I see a definitefeeling of unitybetween New Englanders. I have noticed a similar unity between New Yorkers, especially New Yorkers living in other states.
That's true. I was mostly talking about the Northeast since Northerners like myself tend to separate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Appalachian PA seems to me to have some of the friendliest people around. It's absolutely impossible to go to the store in central PA without finding yourself in a conversation with a total stranger.
I think it's a rural/urban divide. People in Delaware are very friendly too.

Quote:
If you ave not traveled throughout Maryland and Delaware then you can not define the two states as not being southern because again it will just be nothing more than biased opinions....
I've lived in Delaware for six years (and my parents still live there). I'm pretty confident when I say it's not Southern.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,587,402 times
In astronomy the point of intersection of mathematical horizon with the celestial Meridian, the nearest to the South pole of the world. The same direction to midday the sun, called sometimes also noon.(In Slavic notation) some places means the South of the country In the Geographical - side light opposite the North, coincides with the direction to the South pole. May be and in historical terms, a particular place. That's out of here I think, and you need to proceed.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
That's true. I was mostly talking about the Northeast since Northerners like myself tend to separate that.

I think it's a rural/urban divide. People in Delaware are very friendly too.

I've lived in Delaware for six years (and my parents still live there). I'm pretty confident when I say it's not Southern.
Sure along the I-95 Corridor may not feel southern but along the US Highway 13 towards Dover does feel Southern.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.