Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 AM

5 posts, read 18,685 times

Advertisements

Even though the border states of Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Maryland have some southern influence. The south starts below the border states.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:41 AM

407 posts, read 829,442 times
It really depends on who you ask, because even we Southerners have conflicting opinions on where the South is. But here is my opinion of what States make up The South

Texas
Lousiana
Alabama
Georgia
The Carolinas (North and South)
Tennessee
Kentucky
West Virginia

Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
It really depends on who you ask, because even we Southerners have conflicting opinions on where the South is.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
My ancesters fought in the civil war, they were Marylanders to the death of them and they were union soldiers. DC was the capital of the union and right across the river was enemy territory, Virginia. For many years Virginia was looked down upon from the AA community because of its racist past. Back in the day once trains got to union station from the north passengers were segregated because the next stop was in Virginia and they had strong jim crow laws. Buses and trains were never segregated in DC and MD.

Now heres what would make MD southern:
-Annapolis was a slave port, Kunta Kente came through there.
-Glen Echo park was for whites only.....i think
-MD has a large skin head population... mainly around Baltimore and southern MD
Alexandria was also a slave port, which is why it was retroceded from DC (well, that and because the people of Georgetown didn't want to extend the canal down that far and DC was never able to establish any federal buildings on the Virginia side). On top of that, tobacco was the cash crop of Maryland. However, Baltimore had more in common with the North pretty much from the start of the United States (industrialization and trade, particularly with the Great Lakes) and the rest of Maryland moved towards the North with the Civil War (it wasn't hit so hard during Reconstruction, so it didn't have as many bitter feelings). Maryland did have Jim Crowe laws, though.

There are skinheads and KKK everywhere, including the Northeast and Midwest. It's not fair to call the presence of racists a Southern thing.

Edit: Ignore the Alexandria comment. I'm not sure why I thought that was relevant to Maryland.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 AM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Buses and trains were never segregated in DC and MD.
In Maryland they were - just look up old laws and newspaper articles.

Here's a shortened version of Chapter 109 in Maryland state law, 1904:

"All railroad companies and corporations, and all persons running or operating cars or coaches on any railroad line or track in the State of Maryland, for the transportation of passengers, are hereby required to provide separate cars or coaches for the travel and transportation of the white and colored passengers"

Chapter 110 goes on to segregate public boats.
If you look up old newspapers or ask older people, there definitely was bus segregation too.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
(it wasn't hit so hard during Reconstruction, so it didn't have as many bitter feelings)
I think this is probably a big reason why Maryland became less southern, it never really got reconstructed or decimated so there was no rebuilding and a lot less hatred of the north.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
Quote:
It really depends on who you ask, because even we Southerners have conflicting opinions on where the South is. But here is my opinion of what States make up The South

Texas
Lousiana
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky
West Virginia
I agree. But something that always comes to a shock to me is that some people include Texas and Kentucky despite the fact that both states have areas that are decidedly unsouthern (ky wasnt even confederate) yet exclude Virginia who also has unsouthern places but is key to southern history both in terms of it's military leaders (lee, Jackson, etc) and its culture in general (mint juleps, country music, etc). I get that nova isn't southern but neither is el paso or Amarillo.

And west virginia? C'mon! They told us to go to hell in the war!

Old 09-09-2012, 11:47 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:

Texas
Lousiana
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky
West Virginia

A good list but you left out Virginia. Virginia is definitely southern.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
And Mississippi!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
...and Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.