U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:32 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob 1 View Post
They are all over Portland, Or. At least one sees them just about every day somewhere. Never quite understood what their purpose is, or what they bring to himself or society. Then again never really understand Portland's population. Hippies, Homeless, Yuppies, Alternative and New Age types, a lot of poverty mixed in there, that the marketing adds conviently leave out. Some Average Joe and Jane's or high income types that work, own a house, and pay the taxes to pay the city's bills. Never understood why Joe and Jane stay in that type city. Or at least put up with the fact their paying for Portland to exist at all. However to each their own. And of course all the hipsters. Now I'm not saying this is all hipsters, however I did see a lot of them shopping at the Pearl District Safeway with that Oregon Food Card.

I'm sure the TV show Portlandia did its homework carefully on the type of population Portland consisted of when choosing Portland. A large population of hipsters.
Unfortunately, too many people in other cities have taken "Portlandia" to be a documentary rather than a satire.

Kyle MaClachlan has even stated his portrayal of our mayor is based on Boris Johnson the colorful mayor of London and not Sam Adams the Portland mayor. And although Carrie Brownstein does live in Portland, she goes to my vet for her dog, Fred Armisen does not live in Portland but many people believe he does.

Sure there is some truth to some of it but it is very exaggerated. But there are those who want and do relocate to Portland believing it is all that they see on television.

Being famous for your hipster population is not exactly something to be happy about in my opinion. Or, as "Portlandia" has now deemed us, "The Place Where Young People Go To Retire," aka Hipsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 02:42 PM

185 posts, read 374,200 times
Ive been told hipster is an attitude then its a style? Same thing goes for this "SWAG" trend thats just as bad.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:15 PM

565 posts, read 821,965 times
It's been said a million times already but I think hipsters beat out gangbangers or crazy isolationist rednecks in basically all cases because hipsters are more or less harmless and are willing to help gentrify struggling areas of a city. Plus, most people see a certain style of dress that irks them and automatically lumps all of these people together. Generally speaking, only a small fraction of "hipsters" are actually hipsters and real hipsters can be a bit pretentious but many of them I get along with fine, maybe its because I am a college kid? Still, live and let live...they aren't exactly killing people like gangs.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
Ive been told hipster is an attitude then its a style? Same thing goes for this "SWAG" trend thats just as bad.
"SWAG" has become an overused word that means little. Kinda like "ghetto"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or