U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,050,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well to fair they generally are able to get their local pubs to have pretty damn good beer lists or just the PBRs make me have fond memories childhood and my fathers cheap beer. Come to think of it he had mutten chops and drank PBR, hmmm.
Hipsters gave us good beer in bards and pubs? Really? PBRS? Seriously? Most of the Bars that I have been going to for the last 25 years have always had pretty good beer selections.

Gaffneys Pub in Hyde Park, NY was were most of the local high schoolers got their Beer Teeth, and (REAL) PBR was the drink of choice since the early 1960'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 03:57 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,626,395 times
I see why the hipsters have to drink PBR in somewhere like NYC, ordering just a normal beer in Manhattan is like 7 dollars and up unless you are at a happy hour. I'm not even talking about craft brews.
Even in convenience stores it can be outrageous, a 6 pack of Blue Moon I saw priced for 12.99 at DR's and Guinness 6 pack was 20.99...

Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,661,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I see why the hipsters have to drink PBR in somewhere like NYC, ordering just a normal beer in Manhattan is like 7 dollars and up unless you are at a happy hour. I'm not even talking about craft brews.
Even in convenience stores it can be outrageous, a 6 pack of Blue Moon I saw priced for 12.99 at DR's and Guinness 6 pack was 20.99...
I can see that in New York. Though in Potland you can get good local beer or other craftbrews for like $4 a pint in most bars--and PBR would be maybe be $2.50-$3---and tons of people still would/will order PBR(you do save a few more bucks if you order a pitcher). It was basically an excuse for people to drink domestic macro lagers other Budweiser or Coors in some ways and seem cool. I never saw working class dives in Portland with PBR until it's more recent surge in popularity in the last decade--but even in dive bars in Portland you'll find good craft beers on tap usually.

Then once the PBR trend caught on and every bar started stocking PBR as their cheap brew, some bars started selling Iron City/Old German lagers as a way to be a little different. Whatever...I guess it's sort of the reverse of back in the 80s/90s when it was sort of trendy for yuppies to drink European lagers like Heineken.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 PM

PBR at bars around here costs about 7 or 8 dollars. Vapid trendoids will pay any price for to be "cool"

Old 08-23-2012, 05:29 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,661,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
PBR at bars around here costs about 7 or 8 dollars. Vapid trendoids will pay any price for to be "cool"
How much does it cost for a good local brew in those same bars?

Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,578,377 times
PBR tastes the same going in as it does going out.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
How much does it cost for a good local brew in those same bars?
http://www.hbbeerco.com/ontap.html I don't think they sell PBRS, and I laugh every time I see some yuppie tool ordering a Coors light.

Excellent beer and very good food.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:34 AM

34,740 posts, read 33,785,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I know they dont do any harm. But I do dread them populating my neighborhood. We have a strong latino culture here. Murals,(one of them has been painted over when a new company bought the building, now we have 2 murals left), restraunts, and overall the feel of it.

Last thing I want is for the who walks down the street selling elotes(corn on the cob with cheese), to be reported by some sheltered yuppies and get taken out of the area.

I know gangs aren't good, but I'm kind of glad that they scare off people (with their tags) that would want to change our neighborhood into starbucksville. Our neigborhood is still holding it down with our culture. Cant imagine our corner store or La Azteca Restraunt(we call it Dachos, named after the man who founded it and died a few years back) to be turned into some hippie organic food place.. HELL NO..
Have you ever seen this episode of South Park? Smug Alert.

Smug Alert (Season 10, Episode 2) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

Kyle and his family move to San Francisco (where they appreciate hybrid cars more) and Cartman with Butters' assistance has to go in and rescue him (in the second half of the episode so stick with it) from the wine and cheese crowd that like to smell their own f*rts because a smug cloud is coming from San Francisco and Hollywood (George Clooney's Oscar acceptance speech) and meeting the one in Colorado (new hybrid owners) to destroy everyone.

I think you will really appreciate it.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:54 PM

148 posts, read 230,621 times
I really dislike Hipsters for many reasons. One reason is my own fault, the rest are theirs.

Obviously, I would love to have a silver spoon in my mouth. Am I jealous, yes.

What I resent is that these hipsters move into these coveted areas, and think it's THEIR playground, and everything else is just in the background, including natives, non-hipsters, etc. It's like they just change the channel on TV. They don't feel the need to involve non-hipsters, and act, dress, cry, live poor yet have financial security and rich, snotty attitudes.

I have no problem with a poor person becoming rich and acting aloof. I have no problem with a rich person becoming poor and coming back down to real life.

The majority of the hipsters I've seen are walking hypocrisy. I can't respect it. Many of them have attitudes, as well - as they haven't learned the city lessons of watching your mouth, and the code of respect, helping neighbors, participating in a neighborhood, assimilating into the culture of the neighborhood.

Basically: "I'm going to move in next to you, party all the time, sit at a coffee shop and pretend I pay my own rent, but I'm not talking to you because I'm from the suburbs and I'm connected for life."

Old 08-26-2012, 06:18 PM

425 posts, read 286,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I really dislike Hipsters for many reasons. One reason is my own fault, the rest are theirs.

Obviously, I would love to have a silver spoon in my mouth. Am I jealous, yes.

What I resent is that these hipsters move into these coveted areas, and think it's THEIR playground, and everything else is just in the background, including natives, non-hipsters, etc. It's like they just change the channel on TV. They don't feel the need to involve non-hipsters, and act, dress, cry, live poor yet have financial security and rich, snotty attitudes.

I have no problem with a poor person becoming rich and acting aloof. I have no problem with a rich person becoming poor and coming back down to real life.

The majority of the hipsters I've seen are walking hypocrisy. I can't respect it. Many of them have attitudes, as well - as they haven't learned the city lessons of watching your mouth, and the code of respect, helping neighbors, participating in a neighborhood, assimilating into the culture of the neighborhood.

Basically: "I'm going to move in next to you, party all the time, sit at a coffee shop and pretend I pay my own rent, but I'm not talking to you because I'm from the suburbs and I'm connected for life."

I still feel the need to give an HM to those who arent from the suburbs and from actual cities. Cant blame them for going somewhere where theyre robbed of the life theyd have in their own city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or