U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:01 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,599,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
I still feel the need to give an HM to those who arent from the suburbs and from actual cities. Cant blame them for going somewhere where theyre robbed of the life theyd have in their own city.
What is wrong from people from the suburbs, or anywhere for that matter? It wasn't their choice to live there, but their parents. If anything I think the person who moves from the middle of Iowa to NYC takes a much bigger risk and is more ballsy than someone just moving from say, Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,133,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I really dislike Hipsters for many reasons. One reason is my own fault, the rest are theirs.

Obviously, I would love to have a silver spoon in my mouth. Am I jealous, yes.

What I resent is that these hipsters move into these coveted areas, and think it's THEIR playground, and everything else is just in the background, including natives, non-hipsters, etc. It's like they just change the channel on TV. They don't feel the need to involve non-hipsters, and act, dress, cry, live poor yet have financial security and rich, snotty attitudes.

I have no problem with a poor person becoming rich and acting aloof. I have no problem with a rich person becoming poor and coming back down to real life.

The majority of the hipsters I've seen are walking hypocrisy. I can't respect it. Many of them have attitudes, as well - as they haven't learned the city lessons of watching your mouth, and the code of respect, helping neighbors, participating in a neighborhood, assimilating into the culture of the neighborhood.

Basically: "I'm going to move in next to you, party all the time, sit at a coffee shop and pretend I pay my own rent, but I'm not talking to you because I'm from the suburbs and I'm connected for life."
Most hipsters I know (not that I know a ton) pay their own rent.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 PM

425 posts, read 286,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What is wrong from people from the suburbs, or anywhere for that matter? It wasn't their choice to live there, but their parents. If anything I think the person who moves from the middle of Iowa to NYC takes a much bigger risk and is more ballsy than someone just moving from say, Buffalo.

Im saying...

Not all hipsters are from the suburbs. Thats it.

There are a good amount from Rust Belt cities in the North.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:25 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,061,256 times
It is stupid to judge people on where they grew up or who their parents were. I find that most of the people who do that are under the age of 25. Once you turn 18 you are an adult, you should be judged on what you do and nothing else.

In my experience the trust fund hipster is an urban legend. There are a ton of hipsters in Minneapolis, most of them come from working class or middle class backgrounds. Many of them have hippie or punk rocker parents. Also most of them seem to be genuine free spirits and creative types rather than the posers that the people on the internet seem to think they are.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 08-27-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 PM

228 posts, read 438,456 times
Someone earlier hit the nail on the head. "Hipster" has really just become a catch phrase for the majority of 20-35 year olds. If you're not a thug, redneck, or a mainstream bro, then you're automatically a hipster. It used to refer specifically to the "i'm better than you because I listen to more obscure music, read books you've never heard of, etc" attitude that a lot of young liberal college aged people have, but now it is used to label the majority of young people.

If you saw me walking down the street you might label me as a "hipster". I wear jeans that are definitely on the skinnier side, v-neck t-shirts and somewhat fashionable sunglasses. I also really love music (I make my own as well), and you might even catch me drinking a PBR if i'm low on cash (although i'd much rather prefer a delicious craft beer). I also have a macbook and a record player in my room.

But if you ever talked to me you would realize that apart from how I dress (and even that varies widely) I don't fit any one mold. I listen to literally every single kind of music (indie bands are probably my least favorite), and I don't have a smug superior attitude.

People just like to categorize and put other people/things into neat little boxes, when in fact we are much more complex than that.

Don't be so quick to judge people.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:35 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,621,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Someone earlier hit the nail on the head. "Hipster" has really just become a catch phrase for the majority of 20-35 year olds. If you're not a thug, redneck, or a mainstream bro, then you're automatically a hipster. It used to refer specifically to the "i'm better than you because I listen to more obscure music, read books you've never heard of, etc" attitude that a lot of young liberal college aged people have, but now it is used to label the majority of young people.

If you saw me walking down the street you might label me as a "hipster". I wear jeans that are definitely on the skinnier side, v-neck t-shirts and somewhat fashionable sunglasses. I also really love music (I make my own as well), and you might even catch me drinking a PBR if i'm low on cash (although i'd much rather prefer a delicious craft beer). I also have a macbook and a record player in my room.

But if you ever talked to me you would realize that apart from how I dress (and even that varies widely) I don't fit any one mold. I listen to literally every single kind of music (indie bands are probably my least favorite), and I don't have a smug superior attitude.

People just like to categorize and put other people/things into neat little boxes, when in fact we are much more complex than that.

Don't be so quick to judge people.
I was just going to say, doesn't seem like anyone here has any concrete idea of what constitutes a hipster. Please, some odd years ago it was 'emo' that was a popular catch phrase, now it's hipster, and something else will come along that mindless drones will latch on to throw their angst at. C'mon people!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 AM

48,291 posts, read 45,587,548 times
Why are people worried about hipsters? Wannabe ghetto thugs, Neo-Nazis, outlaw motorcycle gangs, and rednecks cause way more problems than hipsters do.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:19 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,876,901 times

Hipster girl gets put in her place. Gets yelled at and called Willy Wonka!! - YouTube

apparently the 4 train isnt to friendly to hipsters. i felt sad for her though lol.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,061,256 times
This is the endgame of all the hipster hate:

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2...day_attack.php

Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,876,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
This is the endgame of all the hipster hate:

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2...day_attack.php
was that man in the hospital a hipster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or