Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

It has been and forever shall be that people, especially young people, will dress a certain way and often act a certain way to identify themselves to one another to ascertain the group to which they belong or to which they would like to belong. Every decade or two brings it's own people who want to fit into their own cultural and social groups. It's just how civilization works. There is nothing really wrong with that. It's just human nature.

From the "Bright Young Things" of the Roaring Twenties to the Hipsters of today people want to identify with a culture, subculture or some kind of social class with whom they can relate and feel comfortable. Each will have their music, food, way of dressing, literature etc. Nothing new. And each will have its critics. Nothing new about that either.

Each will believe it has found something new and different but if they look back at previous social groups they will actually find there is very little difference between themselves and what has gone before them. Nonconformity creates conformity. For example one person begins wearing horn rim glasses of another decade, another begins and soon everyone wears them because they are "different" and unique only now everyone is wearing them so they are really not unique.

To me, the more "different" someone dresses, the more he or she is trying to show they are unique and the less unique they are. People who are truly unique don't have to advertise. People who dress as hipsters or anything else for that matter are just trying to say "Look at me, I belong to this group so that's how you are supposed to think of me." Ready made personality. No effort to reveal themselves as individual people.

So hipsters as a plague? No, not for me. Hipsters as bores well, yes, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Walking down areas like the neighborhood of Los Feliz in Los Angeles, you see these folks dressed weirdly. Looking like they dont shower with a neckbeard and drinking organic drinks.

Does it annoy you that they are overrunning cities these days? Funny thing is that I'm a normal dressed latino sticking out like a soar thumb with my LA shirt. Some dude looked intimidated by me as he was walking his small dog. He kept looking back at me then quickly made a left turn.

The women are cute though. I'll give 'em that.

But I literally thought that there was some kind of costume party going on somewhere.
I can think of 1000x worse than that....

1) Those losers who wear their pants sagging
2) Those ugly wide brim baseball caps (especially turned sideways)
3) Fat girls wearing booty shorts
4) Guys (or girls) wearing ugly "monster" gear
5) Wannabes with those "tapout" shirts..... no, we don't believe you are an mma fighter so take a seat

Compared to the 5 examples (I am sure there are more these days with the ugliest fashions in history) hipsters are a breath of fresh air

Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Walking down areas like the neighborhood of Los Feliz in Los Angeles, you see these folks dressed weirdly. Looking like they dont shower with a neckbeard and drinking organic drinks.

Does it annoy you that they are overrunning cities these days? Funny thing is that I'm a normal dressed latino sticking out like a soar thumb with my LA shirt. Some dude looked intimidated by me as he was walking his small dog. He kept looking back at me then quickly made a left turn.

The women are cute though. I'll give 'em that.

But I literally thought that there was some kind of costume party going on somewhere.
The "hipster" culture is one of the defining things of Generation Y. Look at any young person looking to relocate on these forums. Hipster culture is usually one of the things they are looking for. What they don't want is suburbia or its culture.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Have you ever seen a female hipster? usually they are pretty sexy.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 PM

6 posts, read 9,273 times
I despise it and want to secede from the union from them.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
"Have you ever seen a female hipster? usually they are pretty sexy." I don't think hipsters are any more sexy than regular girls, they just stand out due to the weird cloths so you notice them more often.

I believe that in the 80s and 90s we had hipsters too, they were just darker back then and listening to the cure. I can relate to my generations 'hipsters' far more than I can to these clowns today whom I get more often annoyed and irritated by. Though i'm sure objectively they are equally lame.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:32 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
"2) Those ugly wide brim baseball caps (especially turned sideways)"
Agreed, that subculture is far worse than the hipsters. The garishly colored and comically over-sized hiphop clothing makes them literally look like cartoon characters. The great irony is how hip hop artists fancy themselves as serious-minded poets of the streets.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post

5) Wannabes with those "tapout" shirts..... no, we don't believe you are an mma fighter so take a seat

Compared to the 5 examples (I am sure there are more these days with the ugliest fashions in history) hipsters are a breath of fresh air
Along with hipsters and a few other sub cultures (if I mention them, for some reason I get banned for a few days)

These are sub groups of Douchebagia Americanus

Old 09-19-2012, 07:36 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post

I guess you're not a fan of Jesse Pinkman? I guess even Jesse started dressing smart after he killed somebody.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 PM

216 posts, read 449,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Have you ever seen a female hipster? usually they are pretty sexy.
noooooooooooo. They are NOT. Maybe one in 10, or 1 in 20........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.