Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times

Advertisements

I live in Belmont, Portland. Can't get more hipster than that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Rednecks and thugs are a lot more annoying.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:46 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Rednecks and thugs are a lot more annoying.
Probably. But the two good things about rednecks are that you always know where they are coming from, and they generally don't judge of look down on others.

Thugs (along with the wannabe subsets of Guidos, w*ggers, bros) just don't care. They are all about themselves.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I've found it is just a way to group people at this point, it seems like anybody with a sense of style is now grouped as a "hipster"... I'd say only 10% of the group which is now targeted for whatever reason is now "hipster" ... The only reason people don't like them is b/c they have taken "cool" and made it mainstream, instead of actually shopping at goodwill, they shop at urban outfitters or american apparel. Instead of actually being poor, they are rich and often went to ivy league schools or something and can only live in the neighborhood b/c their parents support them.

But again, I'd say it's only really 10% of people who get called hipsters actually fit that mold, the most are just your typical 20-35 year olds.

Just the way I'd say it's only 10% of young people with professional jobs like accounting banking actually fit some "yuppie" mold...

So what if they are from the suburbs, they are making an active choice to move back into the cities, personally I think it's a good thing and gentrification has led to major improvements in the quality of our urban cities in the past 15-20 years.
Pretty well-put. A great deal of 20-25 year old kids these days just look like hipsters.

Quote:
Hipsters like to "indulge" in the most urbane experiences possible; they view themselves as little "city explorers." They would never want to repaint your murals, report your elotes dude or set up a Starbucks in the neighborhood...
This is what I was thinking too. What hipster would paint over murals and report the elote dude?

I think what you are thinking of is more the yuppy type of person - I think the confusion is that yuppies have appropriated the alternative-scene's fashion so at this point, It is hard to tell the difference between the actually-cool struggling artist and the not-actually-cool latte sipping soccer mom that wears silly clothes and has a hip haircut.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
I have been called both hipster and yuppie, but I consider myself neither... Most people I know are the same and don't really fit any "mold"...

If you are young, live in a major city, and don't have kids you have probably been called the same, knowingly or not.

It's stupid really, if I were to get a buzz cut would I be a skinhead? If I grew my hair out a little longer would I be emo, a hippie? Something like that?

I usually wear jeans and casual t shirts, but god forbid I put on slacks and a tie and was sitting at starbucks on my laptop, would I suddenly be a "yuppie".

If I wanted to go ride my bike or run a 10k race, would I suddenly be considered a jock?

What are you if you shop at Whole Foods? A hippie, or a yuppie? I've heard it called both a place for hippies to shop, as well as yuppies to shop, depending on what area it was in...

Am I back to some "normal" person when I go shop at the corner store or mexican market?

Again, all pretty stupid.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,193 times
The Indianapolis hipster is a rare breed, but I'll catch them in some of the arts districts like Mass or FountainSquare. Locally owned businesses, art galleries, preservation of old buildings...not really a problem for me.

But I'm all for a blend of different types of people. I wouldn't want to live in a strictly arts city.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
At my last job most of my coworkers were hipsters. Now I work with a bunch of people who voted for Michele Bachmann. I'll take the the hipsters.

The people who voted for Bachmann hate hipsters too. Is that really the crowd you all want to associate yourself with?

Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 AM

425 posts, read 371,195 times
Quote:
I have been called both hipster and yuppie, but I consider myself neither... Most people I know are the same and don't really fit any "mold"...

If you are young, live in a major city, and don't have kids you have probably been called the same, knowingly or not.

It's stupid really, if I were to get a buzz cut would I be a skinhead? If I grew my hair out a little longer would I be emo, a hippie? Something like that?

I usually wear jeans and casual t shirts, but god forbid I put on slacks and a tie and was sitting at starbucks on my laptop, would I suddenly be a "yuppie".

If I wanted to go ride my bike or run a 10k race, would I suddenly be considered a jock?

What are you if you shop at Whole Foods? A hippie, or a yuppie? I've heard it called both a place for hippies to shop, as well as yuppies to shop, depending on what area it was in...

Am I back to some "normal" person when I go shop at the corner store or mexican market?

I agree with this. The hipster tag is thrown around like a joint at a party.

Everyone is tagged SOMETHING, which is retarded.

Basically, anyone that takes music seriously or is considered to have good music taste, which is a shared hipster trait, would be called a hipster. What are you supposed to do? Just stop liking music then? even if nothing else you do is considered "hipsterish"?

Its not about creating your own style, or listening to certain music or dressing a certain way, its about taking that to the extreme, or doing it for the sake of an image, and not for yourself. That is whats annoying to me. The stupid haircuts, the vinyl superiority bull****, the fashion, etc. sometimes is just like..... what the ****? And then acting sophisticated because of it.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
At my last job most of my coworkers were hipsters. Now I work with a bunch of people who voted for Michele Bachmann. I'll take the the hipsters.

The people who voted for Bachmann hate hipsters too. Is that really the crowd you all want to associate yourself with?
I also would prefer a room full of Hipsters over die hard Teabaggers.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:

Right, and if we want to see the dangers of labelling people take a trip over to the P&C forum where to a lot of conservative folks any black kid wearing a hoodie is called a "thug".

Some years back in the last decade, I went to go buy a new pair of glasses, and decided because I liked the way they looked and fit my face, to get a pair of black-rimmed glasses. Suddenly, at work people were calling me a "hipster"--though nothing else had really changed, my hobbies, musical taste, and personality were no different--but wearing those glasses made me somehow representative of a "hipster". But if I goto work in a pair of dockers and a fleece jacket--am I not a hipster now? At some level it's just fashion, right?

There's also the general overuse of the word. To some aging baby boomers and people in the suburbs every liberal twenty-something, spacey hippy, anarchist punk, and wealthier thirtysomething yuppy professional are all "hipsters".

I think there is a certain genre of trendy urban youth that rub people the wrong way that's really started this hatred of "hipsters"... These are the people who are sort of just looking for the next reactionary, sort of ironic fashion moment. The kids who thought it was cool to start wearing goofy, early 80s style moustaches or mullets and striped tank tops after the fads of trucker hats and combover haircuts went mainstream--now they're moving onto to the early 90s--just sort of finding the most uncool old fashions and making them trendy again. But in general it's nothing new--there's always been this sort of cyclical retro nature of fashion since the 1960s and 70s. All a lot of those kids are really doing is looking sort of goofy by taking it to extremes--some are just following the rest of the flock, but all in all every subculture ends up with some sort of uniform. I think what's new now is that trends can be spread so quickly through the internet, that it goes from some goofballs in one city to the whole country. The real change is how fast the counterculture can be commodified these days.

Last edited by Deezus; 08-22-2012 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.