Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times

Advertisements

Yes, most of the people targeted by flash mobs here were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Yes, most of the people targeted by flash mobs here were.
I think this had less to do with being hipsters and more to do with these thugs just attacking anyone in sight. This has happened all over the nation. Wisconsin State Fair in suburban Milwaukee. Flash mob violence there, no hipsters.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Hipsters have developed a "maintream" alternative culture because the current media induced "mainstream" culture is so awful.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Hipsters have developed a "maintream" alternative culture because the current media induced "mainstream" culture is so awful.
Well said. I find most ” hipsters” in Philly to be intelligent and creative although maybe a little introverted. Some people may even consider me a hipster although I grew up in the ”up and coming” urban neighborhood I now reside and am not covered in tattoos.

Do I hate the NYC trustfund hipster? Yes, but I'm still not sure if they actually exist or if people overstate this aspect.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
I personally find stereotypical hipster culture a bit silly, but who am I to judge other law-abiding, tax-paying people's lifestyles (much less bite the hand that feeds much of my city's urban revitalization)?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:14 AM

325 posts, read 486,578 times
They're annoying but harmless.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:24 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Someone earlier hit the nail on the head. "Hipster" has really just become a catch phrase for the majority of 20-35 year olds. If you're not a thug, redneck, or a mainstream bro, then you're automatically a hipster.

Kind of like how thug is a catch phrase for young minoirty in hip hop fashion. Or how redneck is just a catch phrase for working class white person. Or how bro is just a catch phrase for young kids who like action sports and or have tats.

Of course I'm sure this irony went right over your head.

Quote:
If you saw me walking down the street you might label me as a "hipster".
No surprise there. Why don't you try wearing some pants that fit correctly?

Old 09-01-2012, 03:25 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Give me Hipsters over black/white middle class yuppies any day.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:49 PM

296 posts, read 644,643 times
The main problem I see is driving the cost of pbr through the roof !

Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 AM

216 posts, read 448,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Someone earlier hit the nail on the head. "Hipster" has really just become a catch phrase for the majority of 20-35 year olds. If you're not a thug, redneck, or a mainstream bro, then you're automatically a hipster. It used to refer specifically to the "i'm better than you because I listen to more obscure music, read books you've never heard of, etc" attitude that a lot of young liberal college aged people have, but now it is used to label the majority of young people.

If you saw me walking down the street you might label me as a "hipster". I wear jeans that are definitely on the skinnier side, v-neck t-shirts and somewhat fashionable sunglasses. I also really love music (I make my own as well), and you might even catch me drinking a PBR if i'm low on cash (although i'd much rather prefer a delicious craft beer). I also have a macbook and a record player in my room.

But if you ever talked to me you would realize that apart from how I dress (and even that varies widely) I don't fit any one mold. I listen to literally every single kind of music (indie bands are probably my least favorite), and I don't have a smug superior attitude.

People just like to categorize and put other people/things into neat little boxes, when in fact we are much more complex than that.

Don't be so quick to judge people.
This post is so hipster. I'm not gonna say I won't judge. If I saw you in the street, I'd probably roll my eyes at you as you passed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.