Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I really don't hate them personally i just can't stand their sense of style, its like a bunch of little paul bunyans running around. but i'd rather have them taking over a neighborhood than a bunch of gangmembers.
The thing about the gang in our neighborhood was that they protected it.

When my aunt was a kid, some old homeless guy harassed her at her job in Del Taco. He threatened to beat her up when she comes out. She told these guys from our hood, and they grabbed the man's bike and threw it into the street and scared him off.

Another time it was some man following her home near the park, he drove his truck right in front of her to block her and try to take her, she calls out to the guys in the park and all these cholos kick the man's ass. Our section is pretty secluded from rest of atwater villiage. It's like 6 block area with a corner store. As soon as you pass chevy chase from brunswick you'll see the both sides of the street look different. One side looks welll to do, the other looks old and neglected. Same if you cross the train tracks on san fernando going east on Chevy Chase blvd. Literally goes with the saying "from the other side of the tracks".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
I don't see why people hate hipsters so much?

I do find them a bit annoying, but I do like what they do to neglected neighborhoods. Just look at places like Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square and Avondale in Chicago. They have brought cool restaurants and bars with them to neighborhoods that really did not have much going on. I live in Avondale, and my apartment building that I live in (not kidding) is like 90% hipster. But really who cares? Some of you act as if you deeply interact with people on the street on daily basis. For me, as long as you aren't obnoxious, littering, bringing in crime and a general threat/danger to society I could care less if you are ghetto, preppy, hipster, etc.

No I am not a fan of hipsters but I don't mind being surrounded by them either. They are harmless. It could be much worse.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I don't see why people hate hipsters so much?

I do find them a bit annoying, but I do like what they do to neglected neighborhoods. Just look at places like Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square and Avondale in Chicago. They have brought cool restaurants and bars with them to neighborhoods that really did not have much going on. I live in Avondale, and my apartment building that I live in (not kidding) is like 90% hipster. But really who cares? Some of you act as if you deeply interact with people on the street on daily basis. For me, as long as you aren't obnoxious, littering, bringing in crime and a general threat/danger to society I could care less if you are ghetto, preppy, hipster, etc.

No I am not a fan of hipsters but I don't mind being surrounded by them either. They are harmless. It could be much worse.
This. In fact, many of them are probably cool/normal people with just a different sense of style. In fact, there were a couple "hipster" looking baristas at a Starbucks I used to go to. Once you talked to them a bit you realized they were just normal people with personalities etc. Can't bunch em' all together and assume they are all the same.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
For me, every drop-out hipster represents one more of the younger generation that isn't going to be taking my job from me as I continue to get older.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:05 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times
Greetings,

Pics would help. I wouldn't know a hipster if s/he were standing next to me. Some posts make me think of the emo kids. Are they the same?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 AM

963 posts, read 2,409,237 times
Were it not for them, Carrboro NC would cease to exist and Chapel Hill and Asheville NC would be mostly ghost towns as well, apart from students and academics (in Chapel Hill) and some tourists (in Asheville).

Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Walking down areas like the neighborhood of Los Feliz in Los Angeles, you see these folks dressed weirdly. Looking like they dont shower with a neckbeard and drinking organic drinks.

Does it annoy you that they are overrunning cities these days? Funny thing is that I'm a normal dressed latino sticking out like a soar thumb with my LA shirt. Some dude looked intimidated by me as he was walking his small dog. He kept looking back at me then quickly made a left turn.

The women are cute though. I'll give 'em that.

But I literally thought that there was some kind of costume party going on somewhere.
These days? Welcome to 2008, dude.

And no, they don't bug me. Let them do their own thing....it's not hurting anybody...

Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I know they dont do any harm. But I do dread them populating my neighborhood. We have a strong latino culture here. Murals,(one of them has been painted over when a new company bought the building, now we have 2 murals left), restraunts, and overall the feel of it.

Last thing I want is for the who walks down the street selling elotes(corn on the cob with cheese), to be reported by some sheltered yuppies and get taken out of the area.

I know gangs aren't good, but I'm kind of glad that they scare off people (with their tags) that would want to change our neighborhood into starbucksville. Our neigborhood is still holding it down with our culture. Cant imagine our corner store or La Azteca Restraunt(we call it Dachos, named after the man who founded it and died a few years back) to be turned into some hippie organic food place.. HELL NO..
Perhaps you're thinking of yuppies, not hipsters?

Hipsters like to "indulge" in the most urbane experiences possible; they view themselves as little "city explorers." They would never want to repaint your murals, report your elotes dude or set up a Starbucks in the neighborhood...

Although, Hipsters do seem to vary across the country. In smaller cities, they seem to be more closely linked o their "hipster values" (I'm talking about the trendy little cities like Portland, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, etc.). Maybe in bigger cities like LA there are too many "copycat hipsters," or....?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I've found it is just a way to group people at this point, it seems like anybody with a sense of style is now grouped as a "hipster"... I'd say only 10% of the group which is now targeted for whatever reason is now "hipster" ... The only reason people don't like them is b/c they have taken "cool" and made it mainstream, instead of actually shopping at goodwill, they shop at urban outfitters or american apparel. Instead of actually being poor, they are rich and often went to ivy league schools or something and can only live in the neighborhood b/c their parents support them.

But again, I'd say it's only really 10% of people who get called hipsters actually fit that mold, the most are just your typical 20-35 year olds.

Just the way I'd say it's only 10% of young people with professional jobs like accounting banking actually fit some "yuppie" mold...

So what if they are from the suburbs, they are making an active choice to move back into the cities, personally I think it's a good thing and gentrification has led to major improvements in the quality of our urban cities in the past 15-20 years.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:18 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times
Seattle seems to be full of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.