U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:18 PM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
9,571 posts, read 4,369,977 times
Reputation: 5328

Advertisements

Centreville, Va.? Oy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,536,473 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Why does everyone assume that just because my freakin' location thing says New York? I've been all along the East Coast but the only Western state I've been to is Colorado...oh and Ohio when I was younger. Sorry that I have never lived outside the East Coast and have no family out that way that I'm in contact with. I bet a lot of people like me don't have a clue where Carmel, IN is.
It's not because of your location; it's because of things you say on this board. I mean, I will never fault anybody for being ignorant about another part of the country. My conceptions about everything east of Illinois were much different before I started living in Pittsburgh.

However, calling a perfectly feasible study with solid methodology "bologna" because it doesn't portray the results you think it should? C'mon, man....what makes you an expert if you have-- by your own admission-- only heard of two of these places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,536,473 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Most of these cities are suburbs of other places and/or part of MSA's/CSA's in which those amenities contribute to their scores. For me, that makes these narrowly defined lists sort of bogus.
Why in the world should that make a difference?

Chester, PA is part of an MSA, too. Do you see that name on the list....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,690,266 times
Reputation: 6603
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
It's not because of your location; it's because of things you say on this board. I mean, I will never fault anybody for being ignorant about another part of the country. My conceptions about everything east of Illinois were much different before I started living in Pittsburgh.

However, calling a perfectly feasible study with solid methodology "bologna" because it doesn't portray the results you think it should? C'mon, man....what makes you an expert if you have-- by your own admission-- only heard of two of these places?
I never claimed to be an expert because I'm not. And I'm not the only one who said the study was a little whack. I was just thinking that if the places on this list were so great to live, then wouldn't they be hot items like Denver, Austin, and all those "booming" cities are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,536,473 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I never claimed to be an expert because I'm not. And I'm not the only one who said the study was a little whack. I was just thinking that if the places on this list were so great to live, then wouldn't they be hot items like Denver, Austin, and all those "booming" cities are?
The list only ranked cities between 50,000 and 300,000 people.

Most of these cities *are* hot items, they are just much smaller than Austin or Denver so they don't necessarily register on your radar. Woodbury, MN, for instance, grew by 33% between 2000 and 2010. That blows Denver and Austin's rates of growth out of the water (Carmel grew by over 100%!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,536,473 times
Reputation: 1503
Also, ja1myn, you'll notice I've been indiscriminate in questioning the other posters who seem to be (in my estimation) calling out this list without very good reason....so by no means am I picking on just you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times
Reputation: 36094
Best place for ME to live, or best place for YOU to live? Every one of them looks to me like a suburb of a bigger city, which to me makes them the worst of all possible places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Keizer, OR
1,376 posts, read 2,519,308 times
Reputation: 1148
Yeah best places to live if you're 40 with a spouse and kids, considering most of these are extremely sterile, upper or upper middle class suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,690,266 times
Reputation: 6603
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Also, ja1myn, you'll notice I've been indiscriminate in questioning the other posters who seem to be (in my estimation) calling out this list without very good reason....so by no means am I picking on just you!
It's alright. I don't really mind that you pick on me. I'm just being a typical NYer acting all offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,536,473 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Best place for ME to live, or best place for YOU to live? Every one of them looks to me like a suburb of a bigger city, which to me makes them the worst of all possible places to live.
Of course I can't answer that. There are people that live in cow towns of fewer than 1,000 people. They do so willingly because they enjoy it there. I would never do it, of course.

Point is, there is a uniform standard for how they ranked these cities. It's ok if you disagree with the criteria, but I think it is a bit foolhardy to disagree with the list based upon the given criteria.

It is also ranked based upon things that most people would prioritize in choosing a place to live-- public schools, transit options, housing prices, proximity to jobs, etc. You don't want to live in a suburb....I feel ya. If the census is to be believed, though, the majority of Americans don't see eye-to-eye with you on that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top