U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 AM

14 posts, read 23,462 times

Advertisements

Which is your favorite and least favorite duty station, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Interesting question, and I'm looking forward to seeing the answers.

I recall that Ford Ord, California was a favorite. It had a reputation for being the last posting for retiring officers, so they didn't always do everything by the book and it got a little slack. Plus living on the Monterey Peninsula.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 AM

346 posts, read 842,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Interesting question, and I'm looking forward to seeing the answers.

I recall that Ford Ord, California was a favorite. It had a reputation for being the last posting for retiring officers, so they didn't always do everything by the book and it got a little slack. Plus living on the Monterey Peninsula.
In case you didn't know, Fort Ord has been closed down. I read from some old timers in the Monterey forum that there was a fair amount of crime in the 80's and 90's when it was in operation.

I was in the Monterey Area recently and drove right by the old base and they still haven't torn the barracks and other military buildings down. Which is strange because Cal State Monterey Bay is located on the site of Fort Ord and there is a large shopping center right there. Some of the housing barracks were covered in graffiti and it just looked like blight in an otherwise decent area.

Anyone know why they don't tear the buildings down? Not only from a visual standpoint, but I imagine it could be a hazard with homeless etc. maybe moving in.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 AM

44,840 posts, read 36,186,607 times
My favorite duty station was Aschaffenburg, Germany. LOVED it there. I was actually the last president of the officer's wives club there, because they closed down the post while we were living there in 1992. Very bittersweet experience.

For awhile they used the housing for military families stationed in Hanau about 30 minutes away. Then they turned it over to the Germans.

This is what my old house looked like in 1992 - our apartment was on the third floor:

This is what it looked like last year - ready for demolition:

It was very poignant going back to Aschaffenburg to visit last year. There is absolutely ZERO US military presence there, and I think that's a good thing. It made me feel sort of sad, and sort of proud. We served a purpose there for many years, and when the Berlin wall went down (while we were stationed there), everything changed - and eventually we were no longer needed there. Job well done.

Time marches on. The town looked great - it looked very prosperous and busy. I was glad to see that, even though the empty (or in some cases already demolished) military buildings put a lump in my throat.

I sat on the rooftop terrace of our hotel the last night we were there, drank a glass of wine, and silently said a final goodbye to Aschaffenburg. I doubt I ever go back - and that's OK. I will always hold it dear in my heart.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,513,825 times
My husband is in the Marine Corps and we've only ever been stationed in Camp Lejeune. With that said- a number of years ago (about 8 years ago- long before my husband) I visited a friend in Okinawa and absolutely loved Okinawa to the extent that I started applying for jobs there when I got back to Australia but ultimately made the decision to move to the U.S. instead.

Camp Lejeune is an awful, awful place to be stationed. As you're nowhere near any interstate access you feel so 'isolated' as the town attached to Lejeune (Jacksonville) only suits very basic, rudimentary needs. It's a culture-less void!

My husband and I can't wait to move away in a few months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or