Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:10 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times

Advertisements

DH and I decided to start taking occasion trips to explore areas I have been researching for our eventual relocation and rewiring (not retiring - reWIRING).
Although our kids are a couple of years away from entering college, we would like to start the process and see what stays on our list, gets crossed off the list, or is added to the list.

I'll be 50 next year, (who me ) DH is 53 - yep, we're boomers. We are searching for places that are interesting, vibrant, social, certainly affordable (who isn't?), with job opportunities and access to universities. We also like hiking, biking, lakes for kiyaking/boating.

We're not in the "early bird special, Del Boca Vista" (Seinfeld reference anyone? ) generation. We're more the "take college courses, try career #2, take a drive in a Corvette & pop in a Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young C.D." category.

[CENTER] ~ Anyone know where people in our general age category have migrated to? ~ [/CENTER]
Naturally - the NC Triangle area has been top of the list for quite awhile. (How's that for a novel idea? Ha! ) Also considerations: Maryland (where?), Naples FL (gorgeous), Knoxville TN. I guess we're focusing on the Eastern half of the US.

I hope this is an answerable question, and truly appreciate any input and ideas you may have on this topic - they'll be going on my list. I'm looking forward to reading the responses from your wealth of knowledge! TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 PM

246 posts, read 329,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
DH and I decided to start taking occasion trips to explore areas I have been researching for our eventual relocation and rewiring (not retiring - reWIRING).
Although our kids are a couple of years away from entering college, we would like to start the process and see what stays on our list, gets crossed off the list, or is added to the list.

I'll be 50 next year, (who me ) DH is 53 - yep, we're boomers. We are searching for places that are interesting, vibrant, social, certainly affordable (who isn't?), with job opportunities and access to universities. We also like hiking, biking, lakes for kiyaking/boating.

We're not in the "early bird special, Del Boca Vista" (Seinfeld reference anyone? ) generation. We're more the "take college courses, try career #2, take a drive in a Corvette & pop in a Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young C.D." category.

~ Anyone know where people in our general age category have migrated to? ~

Naturally - the NC Triangle area has been top of the list for quite awhile. (How's that for a novel idea? Ha! ) Also considerations: Maryland (where?), Naples FL (gorgeous), Knoxville TN. I guess we're focusing on the Eastern half of the US.

I hope this is an answerable question, and truly appreciate any input and ideas you may have on this topic - they'll be going on my list. I'm looking forward to reading the responses from your wealth of knowledge! TIA!
The question is where have boomers NOT migrated. They're everywhere.

Even universities, the fortresses of youth, are no longer safe. The only place left is the Freshers dorm...and it won't be long before those units go condo to make way for Ted, Babs, and their two spunky cocker spaniels.

Magpies

Old 09-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
The question is where have boomers NOT migrated. They're everywhere.

Even universities, the fortresses of youth, are no longer safe. The only place left is the Freshers dorm...and it won't be long before those units go condo to make way for Ted, Babs, and their two spunky cocker spaniels.

Magpies
Hhhmm, my husband's name isn't Ted, it's Marc. My name isn't Babs, it's Debi. We don't have two spunky cocker spaniels, but we do have a cheeky Flat-coated retriever named Alice Cooper, and a lethargic Pug named Winston.

Do you know of a dorm that's going condo? Is there parking for my Lexus? Can you give me directions?

Jaaahhhhst kidding.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Hi Adream, no suggestions for you. Just wanted to say "Hi" from one Boomer to the other.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:28 PM

408 posts, read 1,978,084 times
Since Knoxville is on your list, I'll throw in my two cents on it. At this point, I'd say it is probably the most affordable on the list. Housing is not as high as I see many people on here saying it is in other areas. Plus there is no state income tax. Of course, UT is there and they offer many ways to further education. You can attend the university going for a regular degree or they have continuing education programs to learn new skills or boost the ones you have. In Knoxville and Maryville there are bike trails, but you would also be close to the Smoky Mountain National Park for hiking or mountain biking. As far as kiyaking, there is a place headed down I-75 toward Chatanooga where the Olympic teams did their events when the Olympics were in Atlanta. Chatanooga is about an hour and a half from Knoxville so the spot to kiyak is probably about an hour away from Knoxville. There are also many places to take senic drives when you are crusin'.
If you want to more, I'd be happy to tell you more about it.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
Since Knoxville is on your list, I'll throw in my two cents on it. At this point, I'd say it is probably the most affordable on the list. Housing is not as high as I see many people on here saying it is in other areas. Plus there is no state income tax. Of course, UT is there and they offer many ways to further education. You can attend the university going for a regular degree or they have continuing education programs to learn new skills or boost the ones you have. In Knoxville and Maryville there are bike trails, but you would also be close to the Smoky Mountain National Park for hiking or mountain biking. As far as kiyaking, there is a place headed down I-75 toward Chatanooga where the Olympic teams did their events when the Olympics were in Atlanta. Chatanooga is about an hour and a half from Knoxville so the spot to kiyak is probably about an hour away from Knoxville. There are also many places to take senic drives when you are crusin'.
If you want to more, I'd be happy to tell you more about it.
Thanks insanesmooch! Such a great description of what must be a beautiful area!

Old 09-30-2006, 01:17 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Why would anyone want to find boomers? Our whole lives (as boomers) has been one of endless competition brought about by our numbers. From over-crowded kindergartens, to Little League, to college admission, to good paying jobs, to vacation spots, and now to an enjoyable retirement, we've been competing. I wish I could find a place where there are NO boomers.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Competing?
That wasn't my stance.
Maybe some of the yuppies were, and as oldsters, still are.
Some of us were rather indulged, and some of us did pass on that sense of entitlement to our own children.
Wherever we settle, I actually would like it to be a university town because I like that kind of energy.
But it wouldn't hurt to have a few fellow Boomers as well. We're not all bad.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Competing?
That wasn't my stance.
Maybe some of the yuppies were, and as oldsters, still are.
Some of us were rather indulged, and some of us did pass on that sense of entitlement to our own children.
Wherever we settle, I actually would like it to be a university town because I like that kind of energy.
But it wouldn't hurt to have a few fellow Boomers as well. We're not all bad.
Thank you cil! I'm not understanding the baby boomer angst demonstrated here. I agree, we are not all bad - there are lots of great boomers out there, and would be great to hang out with!

Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Thank you, Adream.
Supposedly, a lot of Boomers are or will be flocking to Florida.
The land development companies have been banking on it with a "if we build it they will come" strategy.
Where I live in northwest Florida, I do see Boomers who either vacation here, or have even moved here. But I wouldn't describe it as a flood of people elbowing their way in. There is little or no infrastructure as yet, though it's coming.
This place is not what I'd call vibrant, and may never be--it's more of a place to enjoy natural beauty, wildlife, boating, fishing, that kind of activity.
I too am interested in the NC Triangle area, but I have no idea where we'll permanently end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.