Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 05:53 AM

6 posts, read 5,238 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

First time posting after reading many threads, and now i have some questions that hopefully you can help answering.

My family (me, wife & 4 young children), are looking at the possibility of emigrating from Northern Ireland to the US. I have spent months looking at various places that may have jobs that i would qualify for (experienced technical sales engineer on conveyor products in the materials handling sector), and good schools for the children.

I have listed below what we are looking for, and hopefully you can advise on locations that my suit.

- Warm summers & mild winters
- Good job prospects
- Good schools
- We dont go to church
- Resonable houses prices (sale & rent in a nice community)
- Preferable East coast but other areas would be considered
- Nearby places to enjoy family time/weekends

I have probably missed something out, but i will add later if remembered

Maybe what i have listed is abit vague, so if you have any questions please post

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 06:11 AM

I have should probably have mentioned that so far i have mainly been looking at the following states :- Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee & North Carolina

Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Before you start looking: Do you have a visa that allows you to find employment in the US? Without that all other questions are irrelevant. If not, go check out the legal immigration forum on city-data to see what your options are.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Before you start looking: Do you have a visa that allows you to find employment in the US? Without that all other questions are irrelevant. If not, go check out the legal immigration forum on city-data to see what your options are.

Thanks Rob702, i will check it out.

To be honest, at the minute we would be relying on either obtaining a family green card via the green card lottery, as luckily residents N.Ireland still apply for this, or obtaining a sponsored visa by an employer. It may all sound like pie in the sky, but it is a dream that we would like to make a reality, even if it does sound difficult to achieve

Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateside_calling View Post
Thanks Rob702, i will check it out.

To be honest, at the minute we would be relying on either obtaining a family green card via the green card lottery, as luckily residents N.Ireland still apply for this, or obtaining a sponsored visa by an employer. It may all sound like pie in the sky, but it is a dream that we would like to make a reality, even if it does sound difficult to achieve
Green Card Lottery is an option, but of course that is nothing that you can really plan with. What kind of family do you have in the US? Depending on the degree of relationship it might take a long time until you can receive a GC. I know people who've been waiting for up to 10 years.
You could also look into H1-B visas if a Green Card is not an option right now. Well, I'm sure the legal immigration forum can help you better with this.

If it's your dream you'll find a way. Good luck!

As for your original question: The South would probably be your best bet if you want mild winters and affordability. California is mild, of course, but very expensive. Illinois can be very brutal in winter, but Chicago is a great city. I think you should move to the place where you have the best carreer options, no matter the climate. You can still move to your favorite destination later on once you're in the country. How about checking out monster.com or other websites to see where you can find the most ads that fit your profile?

find-your-spotDOTcom (without the dashes) is a very nice website that allows you to find a place that fits your criteria.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Green Card Lottery is an option, but of course that is nothing that you can really plan with. What kind of family do you have in the US? Depending on the degree of relationship it might take a long time until you can receive a GC. I know people who've been waiting for up to 10 years.
You could also look into H1-B visas if a Green Card is not an option right now. Well, I'm sure the legal immigration forum can help you better with this.

If it's your dream you'll find a way. Good luck!

As for your original question: The South would probably be your best bet if you want mild winters and affordability. California is mild, of course, but very expensive. Illinois can be very brutal in winter, but Chicago is a great city. I think you should move to the place where you have the best carreer options, no matter the climate. You can still move to your favorite destination later on once you're in the country. How about checking out monster.com or other websites to see where you can find the most ads that fit your profile?

find-your-spotDOTcom (without the dashes) is a very nice website that allows you to find a place that fits your criteria.

The DV lottery will probably be the most likely way of entering, so we shall be applying when it opens later this year.

As for job options, the industry that i have experience in, the customers would normally be quarries, mines & engineering firms, or basically anywhere that has a conveyor belt.

I will keep researching and hopefully something will fall into place

Old 08-24-2012, 07:13 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
It sounds like North Carolina or Virginia might be up your alley, but of course it all depends on who is willing to sponsor you for a work visa (which may not be permanent) and argue your employment position cannot be filled by a US citizen.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
- Warm summers & mild winters
The USA has an extreme continental climate, compared to Europe, with only the west coast being largely influenced by a moderating ocean. Everywhere else in the USA will give you either extreme hot or extreme cold, ot both.
- Good job prospects
If you admitted as a legal immigrant, you will have good job prospects (unless you are a refugee).
- Good schools
You will be responsible, as parents, to oversee the quality of your children's education. School is basically a baby sitter dedicated to grooming obedient flag-waving job-fillers.
- We dont go to church
Doesn't matter.
- Reasonable houses prices (sale & rent in a nice community)
Overpriced everywhere. I strongly recommend that you rent for several years
- Preferable East coast but other areas would be considered
East coast (and west coast) are considerably more expensive than the interior, job competition is greater, and you will be less likely to regard it as a place you will want to raise your children.
- Nearby places to enjoy family time/weekends
America is made for leisure time, even though Americans don't have any. There are plenty of recreational amenities to be found everywhere. A hundred miles is not considered a long distance to travel to them, but cities are uncrowded and also have spacious parks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.