Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Why? does it bother you that Sacramento has so much to offer in this category? Are you surprised?

Sacramento is understated and humble. We flys under the radar compared to most other cities in the west and of comparable size.

If I had first hand knowledge of other cities with such rivers, I would gladly post about them, but I don't.

It's great to hear about the other places posted.
No, it's just you've pretty much posted the bulk of posts in this thread. It just seems like you're trying to make this all about Sacramento.

(P.S., there are bigger cities flying even further under the radar than Sac-town.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No, it's just you've pretty much posted the bulk of posts in this thread. It just seems like you're trying to make this all about Sacramento.

(P.S., there are bigger cities flying even further under the radar than Sac-town.)
Well, I am the original poster, so it's likely I'll have a lot to post. And, yes, Sacramento's Rivers and lakes are a great amenity, and I've come to realize people outside of Sacramento including other Northern Californians and SoCal folks have no idea about this.

I spend a lot of time on Sacramento's waterways and realized that Cities with great rivers are really not that friendly to the outdoorsman or recreational enthusiast. These other "urban" rivers are either too big, too small, too dirty, too many large ships, or have sucky weather, and too many poisonous snakes and reptiles.

So I wondered what other cities across our great nation have in the way of recreational rivers.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,802 times
Yall, there is nothing more fun that rafting on the Chattahoochee River in Atlanta. It may not be the biggest or most beautiful, but people raft it all the time here. People just bring a float and a cooler of beer and start floating down. It's like a big party. I did it with my friends just a few weeks ago and it was great.

It's definitely a big Atlanta thing to do. If you want more extreme rafting then you'll have to go up to the mountains. But for a fun, relaxing trip with your friends the Chattahoochee is great.

Shooting the hooch. An Atlanta tradition
http://atlanta.surfrider.org/wp-cont...32-450x299.jpg
http://www.nps.gov/chat/parknews/ima...-__DSC5189.jpg
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...b9baba2840.JPG

(vintage)
http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/p...ahoochee13.jpg
http://alexanlenoxblog.com/files/2012/06/tubing.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-30-2012 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Why? does it bother you that Sacramento has so much to offer in this category?
If it truly had so much to offer, people would know about it and you would not be wasting your time like you work as an intern for the CAVB. If it takes countless posts to get your point across, it must not be that special.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:20 AM

Workaholics,
Great shots of The Chattahoochee River! I've never heard of it, nor of this Atlanta tradition.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:15 AM

ckhthankgod,
I'm liking the videos of the Black River in New York. Never heard of it. Are these videos actually in the town of Watertown?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Recreation on some of Asheville's rivers...

Nolichucky:
White Water Rafting Nolichucky River | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Whitewater Rafting Nolichucky River | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Almost under | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

French Broad:
rafting on the french broad | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC_0111.JPG | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rafting | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Watauga:
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
chief tae-katoka | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nantahala:
Rafting the Nantahala | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
19 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Kayaking the Nantahala | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Tuckaseegee:
Rafting on Tuckaseegee | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_9835 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.