Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:45 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times

Advertisements

I met a guy that would commute from LA to Monterey... He only did the commute three days per week but I still thought it was crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I met a guy that would commute from LA to Monterey... He only did the commute three days per week but I still thought it was crazy.
Monterey, as in Central California Monterey (335 miles away) or Monterey Park, a suburb of LA?

Unless he's in the Navy or works for the Naval Academy, that's just weird. Even at 3 days a week, putting that many miles on your car (2010 miles/week) will kill your engine really quickly, unless he flies. Imagine having to change your oil every two weeks? Jeesh!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Monterey, as in Central California Monterey (335 miles away) or Monterey Park, a suburb of LA?

Unless he's in the Navy or works for the Naval Academy, that's just weird. Even at 3 days a week, putting that many miles on your car (2010 miles/week) will kill your engine really quickly, unless he flies. Imagine having to change your oil every two weeks? Jeesh!
Monterey in Central California. He did say that he would stay at peoples places some nights but he would do the commute daily sometimes. When I met him, he was doing it for around 6 months. Not sure if he is doing it anymore.
He did work as a DOD contractor.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Monterey in Central California. He did say that he would stay at peoples places some nights but he would do the commute daily sometimes. When I met him, he was doing it for around 6 months. Not sure if he is doing it anymore.
He did work as a DOD contractor.
That makes sense then. One of my good friends does contracting for the military bases as well (though independent of them), and commutes regularly to San Diego, Twentynine Palms, Fort Irwin (near Barstow), Monterey, and even up to the Bay Area.

However, the union usually does pay for travel and lodging, from what I understand. Frequently, they'd also give a meal stipend as well.

I'm in the wrong field

Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I know plenty of people at work who have over an hour commute, but none of them are driving. It can easily be an hour when you live in a suburb 40-50 miles away from downtown and take the train in every morning. I find it's probably a little easier though since you can sleep when you're tired, listen to music, read, daydream, do work on your computer, watch movies, etc. You can actually get things done or at least just sleep for an hour.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
That makes sense then. One of my good friends does contracting for the military bases as well (though independent of them), and commutes regularly to San Diego, Twentynine Palms, Fort Irwin (near Barstow), Monterey, and even up to the Bay Area.

However, the union usually does pay for travel and lodging, from what I understand. Frequently, they'd also give a meal stipend as well.

I'm in the wrong field
I'm in a semi related field. Getting paid to be in California sure is nice

Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Vice President Joe Biden, for many decades, used to commute daily by Amtrak Metroliner between Wash. D.C. where he was Senator, and his hometown Wilmington Delaware, about 218 miles round-trip.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Vice President Joe Biden, for many decades, used to commute daily by Amtrak Metroliner between Wash. D.C. where he was Senator, and his hometown Wilmington Delaware, about 218 miles round-trip.
Fail.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
Lived in Savannah, GA and commuted an hour to a rural place called Allendale, SC. I refused to live in a rural community where walmart is a 30 minute drive

Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
I've noticed this being the most common in NY, LA, and SF where housing prices in the city and suburbs are VERY high. Tons of people working in those cities cannot afford to actually live in nearby areas. I'm sure there as some out there who do it just because they don't like city and suburban life and want to live somewhere more remote, but most of the people do it because of cost. I mean, would a family of five rather live 30 minutes from work in a tiny old little house in a run down neighborhood with awful schools, or 90 minutes from work in a large new home in a pristine neighborhood with top notch schools? Many families will take a longer commute in order to live better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.