U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:00 PM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times

Advertisements

I understand sometimes things happen and people end up with long commutes. Like losing your job, and getting a new one which is much less convenient. Or being a two-income household, and having to split the difference between two jobs. But I've often noticed on these forums people asking for relocation advice, and purposefully looking for a place to live very far from their place of work. Sometimes they specifically say they don't want to live in the core county, even if the county itself is a lower-crime area with lots of perfectly fine suburban (and in some cases even rural) choices. Occasionally they're asking for totally crazy things, like to live three counties away and/or in the next state.

Why would anyone want to do this??? I mean, I can understand some people like living in backwoods, isolated places, far from suburban sprawl. But if that's what you're looking for, why not just find less-developed pockets within a close driving range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 08:18 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I understand sometimes things happen and people end up with long commutes. Like losing your job, and getting a new one which is much less convenient. Or being a two-income household, and having to split the difference between two jobs. But I've often noticed on these forums people asking for relocation advice, and purposefully looking for a place to live very far from their place of work. Sometimes they specifically say they don't want to live in the core county, even if the county itself is a lower-crime area with lots of perfectly fine suburban (and in some cases even rural) choices. Occasionally they're asking for totally crazy things, like to live three counties away and/or in the next state.

Why would anyone want to do this??? I mean, I can understand some people like living in backwoods, isolated places, far from suburban sprawl. But if that's what you're looking for, why not just find less-developed pockets within a close driving range?
Because I live in NJ, where there is no such thing as "backwoods, isolated places, far from suburban sprawl" an hour away from where I work. And there are no "less-developed pockets", either.

My commute, taking two trains, is 90 minutes. I live where I live because it was affordable for me to purchase a condo as a single mother, where it was not possible to do so living any closer to NYC in any of the more affluent NJ suburbs, and because I am in close proximity to the ocean.

Few people have a commute of less than one hour to Manhattan. Exceptions are people who live in the urban areas directly on the NJ side of the Hudson River, and if that is the case, they are living in either very expensive gentrified communities or in dangerous slums. Even then, it would take them a minimum of one half hour to get to a train station or ferry, cross the river, and get to their office on the other side, depending upon which part of the city they work in. You've got a quarter of a million people trying to cross that mile-wide river from Jersey at the same times every day with the same finite number of ways to cross it.

It's a constant source of amusement to us on the NJ forum when naive people post looking for a 4BR house with a big backyard in a nice community with good schools...and a 30-45 minute commute to Manhattan. Does not exist.

I know there are other cities in other parts of the country where you have a ring of suburbs and then not much of anything past that, just open space and the occasional small town.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:49 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
How about "personal lifestyle choices". Assuming that your workplace is in a major metropolitan area and not way out in the outer suburbs, there is a huge difference between the characteristics of the lifestyle within the metro, compared to in the hinterlands where people are not anchored to the metro.

The people I know who commute an hour to work live in communities where everyone knows each other and the schools are small enough that if the kids go out for football or cheerleading, they are nearly certain of making the team. The kids can ride their bikes to places where they can fish. Housing is about half the price, or less, of what a house would cost an hour closer to the job.

And the commute time is not in gridlock, its highway speed traffic, mostly, through pleasant countryside, and even several choices of route variations. The 10 hours a week of commuting is relaxing, giving you time to reflect on your life. Listen to the news there, instead of ten hours a week watching it on TV.

If you have to get up an hour earlier to drive to work, make the family bedtime an hour earlier, get everybody up an hour sooner, so you can still have breakfast with the family, and the kids will have a leisure hour for play or study before school in the morning.

Quiet country living is good for people, and cheaper than in the city.

When I worked in Kansas City, I could make as much money in two 8-hour weekend shifts, as I could have in a full-time job in a town two hours away, so I drove the four hours round trip once a week. When I told my co-workers how I lived a hundred miles out into rural Kansas (with 5 days off every week), they were green witn envy. It was the best of all worlds.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-25-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 09:21 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,681,035 times
Cheaper land, better lifestyle... I'd probably do a 1.5 hour commute (distance, not traffic) if it meant living somewhere absolutely amazing.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,748 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Cheaper land, better lifestyle... I'd probably do a 1.5 hour commute (distance, not traffic) if it meant living somewhere absolutely amazing.
I agree. My commute now is 23 miles, but with traffic takes 45 minutes driving. I choose to take the bus which makes a lot of stops on the way, plus a one-mile walk at the office end all together is 55 minutes.
Another 5-10 wouldn't matter, because I love where I live in a woodsy suburb with no crime, mountain and valley views, and I love where I work, on the waterfront in the city. I can relax on the bus and check news, email, or just surf the internet (even post here) from my android and the time goes by quickly.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 PM

43,534 posts, read 52,616,956 times
My commute is 27 miles one way, and without traffic (which is about 30-70% of the time), it takes me 25 minutes to get to work.
Add traffic, and that's up to 45 minutes.
Add an accident, and that can easily get over an hour.

Why?

Because I LOVE where I live and would not for a second consider moving to where my workplace is. My life does not revolve around my job - I want to be happy when I am home and close to the amenities I think are important.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:13 AM

34,667 posts, read 33,667,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

I can imagine in a place like Los Angeles, you could live pretty close to your job and it would still take over an hour to get there. Maybe they are coming from that kind of environment so distance doesn't matter that much because time in their car is the same.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:36 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,662,662 times
People make some pretty good arguments but there's no way I'd live more than 15 mins max from work.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 AM

5,950 posts, read 7,316,956 times
I can see why some people would, but I'm sure there are plenty of good places to live that will have what I need less than an hour from my job. Without traffic, an hour drive from Pittsburgh can put you in "the sticks" almost. I'm so used to it only taking 15-20 minutes at most to get to work and school so an hour commute would be a significant change for the worst for me.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 AM

3,794 posts, read 3,453,015 times
There used to be two ladies at my job in St. Louis who made 75-minute daily commutes each direction. They lived in separate towns in the same county, about 65 miles away from the job. They both used to say that they actually enjoyed their long commutes-- that it gave them time to think and relax. That is, unless the weather was bad and traffic was a nightmare. Then, they'd do the loudest complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.