U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,438,578 times

Advertisements

And, IYE, which cities (major centres of at least 20,000 people) do most young people still maintain a distinct southern accent?

My guess is cities like Jackson, Montgomery, Shreveport, and of the larger cities, Jacksonville, Columbia, OKC. I think most African American Southerners probably have some sort of Southern accent.

I have no idea what the percentage of southerners under 30 have a distinctive southern accent, although most seem to have at least a trace and use some southernisms like y'all so it'd be interesting to get an insider's perspective. I went through the South but didn't spend that much time there (maybe a week or so) so it's hard to gauge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,903,482 times
A high percentage.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 PM

892 posts, read 1,096,718 times
I volunteer at a bunch of academic competitions in Ohio, and whenever Kentucky teams show up, even many of the kids who were born in other countries had developed a little bit of a southern accent.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,220,362 times
I'm from Columbia, SC and even when I go back home people ask me if I'm from SC. I guess growing up around kids from Ft. Jackson who weren't originally from SC and my parents and entire family being raised in the North and moving down South had something to do with it....But the accent in Columbia is not as strong as the surrounding rural areas....

Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,935,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I'm from Columbia, SC and even when I go back home people ask me if I'm from SC. I guess growing up around kids from Ft. Jackson who weren't originally from SC and my parents and entire family being raised in the North and moving down South had something to do with it....But the accent in Columbia is not as strong as the surrounding rural areas....
Rural areas anywhere have a country sound, while southern urban areas sound southern - not country. Too many people don't distinguish between southern and country.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,797,380 times
I personally don't hear it that much but i've been told everywhere i've gone that I have a thick southern accent and I am 25. I grew up in southwest virginia near the tennessee border in the mountains of appalachia.

To be honest I think most people mistake a thick appalachian accent for a thick southern accent but you'll notice the appalachian accent is definitely one of the thicker accents in the US, IMO.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,748,664 times
A southern Appalachian accent is southern.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,797,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
A southern Appalachian accent is southern.

I personally agree but some people on this website throw a hissy fit if you say that southern appalachian is part of the greater southern dialect.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,815,329 times
I'm not seeing how or why 30 would be the cutoff age. It would be more like 50.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,398,433 times
Or maybe 40ish? It probably depends were they grew up if they grew up in a more rural or urban setting in the south. And what city they are from. By in large those from a rural area will carry some kind of southern dialact/twang just because that is most of what is used to being heard. Also some cities are still strongly southern with less mixing of others from different areas of the country as far as industry and the general populous. Cities like Savannah, Birmingham, Biloxi MS. are very very southern. Whereas cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, and especially miami have more going on as far as transplants, universities, etc etc. And are I guess the term is "New South" And an accent may be hard to detect if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or