Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pacific Northwesterners more similar to Canadians or Southerners?
PNWers have more in common with Canadians 45 86.54%
PNWers have more in common with people from the southern US 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 01:03 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times

Advertisements

Do you think Oregon and Washington culturally and socially have more in common with Canadians or people from the American South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I would say it depends greatly whether we're considering city dwellers or those from rural areas.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:26 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
I'm sure a lot of people would look at Seattle and compare it to Vancouver and assume that because of those similarities it's closer to Canada. But if you go throughout much of the rural or non-urban parts of the Northwest--or even places like Salem, Oregon or Spokane, Washington--you're going to find more similarities to the South in some ways. I mean I was at the Oregon State Fair last night and there was basically a couple country bands singing about honky-tonks and a crowd that could be straight out of Oklahoma or even Tennesse. Though, I mean Canada has it's own rural culture(I can't remember if country music is popular in the hinterlands, I know in Alberta it was though). But you'll find football and NASCAR popular in the much of the Northwest--yet hockey is still a niche sport unlike Canada.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I'm sure a lot of people would look at Seattle and compare it to Vancouver and assume that because of those similarities it's closer to Canada. But if you go throughout much of the rural or non-urban parts of the Northwest--or even places like Salem, Oregon or Spokane, Washington--you're going to find more similarities to the South in some ways. I mean I was at the Oregon State Fair last night and there was basically a couple country bands singing about honky-tonks and a crowd that could be straight out of Oklahoma or even Tennesse. Though, I mean Canada has it's own rural culture(I can't remember if country music is popular in the hinterlands, I know in Alberta it was though). But you'll find football and NASCAR popular in the much of the Northwest--yet hockey is still a niche sport unlike Canada.
Yeah, I'd basically agree that urban PNWers, including residents of smaller liberal cities like Corvallis, have much more in common with Canadians, but rural PNWers and even some suburbanites (Vancouver WA) come to mind indeed seem closer to Southerners; some even have roots in the South.

Rural Canada is kind of 'redneck' in a way but it's a different kind of redneck. I have heard that the rural people in BC share quite a bit of similarities to rural Americans though, for example their country music is said to have more in common with American country music than with Maritime country music.

One thing that the NW US, Southern US and Canada all share BTW is that they are all largely woodland societies.

Last edited by callmemaybe; 09-01-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 03:16 PM

With that said though I think if Portland and Seattle ever got NHL teams we would be pretty big hockey fans, maybe even fanatically so.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Canada easily. The Pacific NW has virtually nothing in common with the rest of the south except for being in the same country. Seattle and Portland are very much like Vancouver. British Columbia apart from being in another country could essentially be considered a continuation of the Pacific NW.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:31 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I've only been to Seattle (not Portland or either Vancouver), but it comes across to me as a LOT different than the southeast. Almost like a different country. And my town is a pretty stark contrast to similar sized towns in the southeast, though I wouldn't say the difference is quite as drastic. However, I've been in more rural areas around here and the differences seem far, far less. In some cases I could have easily mistaken my location for TN, except for the lack of southern accents (and the fact I was on a bicycle and no one seemed to care).

Old 09-01-2012, 07:39 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've only been to Seattle (not Portland or either Vancouver), but it comes across to me as a LOT different than the southeast. Almost like a different country. And my town is a pretty stark contrast to similar sized towns in the southeast, though I wouldn't say the difference is quite as drastic. However, I've been in more rural areas around here and the differences seem far, far less. In some cases I could have easily mistaken my location for TN, except for the lack of southern accents (and the fact I was on a bicycle and no one seemed to care).
I would say more like Western Canadians than Southerners for sure, which is why I think if the proposed country of Cascadia ever becomes a reality, the peoples (well, most of them anyway) of the affected areas would have no problem getting along.

(Note: I am not necessarily either for or against Cascadia, but it is an interesting concept none the less).

Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Strange question...I would say that it's more like British Columbia than just about anywhere in the U.S.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Canada all the way. But I don't really get why the choice would include the American south...since those states are in the Northwest lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.