Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:18 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,769,982 times

Advertisements

I haven't experienced enough of each region so I can't really comment. Hopefully that'll change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,980,477 times
[quote=wnewberry22;25947429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post

To me that's Louisiana...except the BBQ of course.

And I know it's just opinion...I was just trying to say that one portion of the souths traits shouldn't trump another portion of the souths. I mean...people in western nc, eastern tn, and southwestern va could drive to Macon or Shreveport and say...well they have no bluegrass music or no good BBQ....so this isn't southern. It just doesn't work that way. The things you seem to like are deep south traits...the things I seem to like are upland south. Both southern....just different parts.
Well sure. I do like the upper south. It doesn't seem to be like the dreaded deep south where I'm from. It is south, but I can tell I'm heading north. Going from one end to the next seems more like a gradiation to the next big region such as the midwest or rocky mts. You know, it's just not all of a sudden BOOM! There it is!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,656,809 times
Quote:
It's just a matter of opinion. Relax. I have been to the upper south an d liked it very much. But to me the deep south where I am accustomed screams south a little bit more. When a place has never heard of black eyed peas I just find it not the south I know. I would expect that in Illinois, but Virginia!? Mardi Gras, gumbo, purple hull peas, catfish, shrimp and oysters, bbq, etc. To me that's the south.
I didn't know black eyed peas were a southern only thing. They are pretty much a staple here in Southeast Missouri, well at least for my family.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,909,881 times
I like all of the South.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM

27,260 posts, read 28,317,220 times
The coolest place I've been in the southern U.S. is New Orleans. So, I guess that would be deep south.

However, I enjoy Virginia and North Carolina as well. And the Smokey Mountains. I can't say I've been anywhere in the south I didn't like.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
The Upper South at high elevations. I haven't spent a lot of time in the Deep South but it is much too hot and humid there to be tolerable. In the South, I would have to be at least 2,000ft up in elevation.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I didn't know black eyed peas were a southern only thing. They are pretty much a staple here in Southeast Missouri, well at least for my family.
Well SE Missouri is really the south, right? But yeah, many people turn their noses up at them that are not deep southerners. That has been my experience. But so many people from outside the south as well as the upper south sometimes say "we don't eat that ****. So many southern dishes are unappealing for some reason outside the south. They say "oooo we don't eat this and oooo we don't eat that" All southern cooking is good rib-stickin' hearty food. Apparently those people who don't like it have overly sensitive taste buds. Maybe if I had them I wouldn't like southern cooking either, who knows!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,973,781 times
Quote:
Well SE Missouri is really the south, right? But yeah, many people turn their noses up at them that are not deep southerners. That has been my experience. But so many people from outside the south as well as the upper south sometimes say "we don't eat that ****. So many southern dishes are unappealing for some reason outside the south. They say "oooo we don't eat this and oooo we don't eat that" All southern cooking is good rib-stickin' hearty food. Apparently those people who don't like it have overly sensitive taste buds. Maybe if I had them I wouldn't like southern cooking either, who knows!
Let me tell you...there are many southerners that turn up their nose at black eyed peas too. You got one right here.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,656,809 times
Quote:
Sure, I just was surprised to learn that Black Eyed Peas were a southern thing. I do agree with you on southern cooking I love it.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Let me tell you...there are many southerners that turn up their nose at black eyed peas too. You got one right here.
Ahem, well Joe.... I have known some. Actually I prefer purple hulls, crowder, zipper, and lady cremes; all variants. The black eyed pea is good but needs a lot of doctoring up with relish or tomato/onion mix. I am just an old southern boy at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.