Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,526 times

Advertisements

I lived in Vermont and PA. I feel geographically, northern PA is similar to VT, NH and Upstate New York in a lot of ways. The culture and attitudes are very different though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:54 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
In general, there isn't really any sense of state pride in any of the six New England states. However, there is a sense of pride to be in New England. Heck, New England is the only sub-region in the nation that has it's own sports team (the Patriots). Depending on the season, Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds will have certain items on the menu that are quintessentially New England (i.e. coffee blend, New England clam chowder).

Unlike NY/NJ/PA, New Englanders use a few different words for certain things. The most common one is "grinder" to describe a subway sandwich. Many of us also use the word "carriage" instead of shopping kart, including myself. We use the word "brook" instead of creek. And no one really says "the interstate." We just say "the highway," even if it's an interstate. Allegedly, we also use the word "package store" instead of "liquor store." There are also a few minor differences in accents compared to NY/NJ/PA. For example, we pronounce the word aunt as "ont," not "ant," like most New Yorkers do.

There are MAJOR differences in the way geographic entities are characterized. Usually, a city is a high density, small area. A town is a low density area, in most cases. It's hard to explain. But in places like Florida, for example, certain places are incorporated as cities, even though they look like downright suburbia. But cities in New England always have a significant urban core with a walkable downtown with buildings and shops. Connecticut and Rhode Island don't have county governments. In general, in New England, cities and towns have a lot more control and power, because there is no county governance.

All interstate highways use sequential numbering of exits instead of being numbered by mileage, although there are plans to change this in Connecticut.

As a New Englander myself, I view places like PA and western NY as feeling a bit Midwestern. Just the way people look, act and talk is noticeably different. It's not normal IMO. Southern NJ people even seem mildly southern to us.

New England in general is much more quaint, historical feeling and prettier than NY/NJ/PA, in my opinion, although the Adirondacks, Hudson River valley, Great Lakes and mountains of PA hold their own. NJ has no visible natural beauty unless you go to northwestern NJ. The rest of the state is FLAT like Florida. Rhode Island is also flat, too.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In general, there isn't really any sense of state pride in any of the six New England states.
Umm...excuse me!?

The video's a little outdated; I wanted to share the song, and that is the first video that popped up.

Otherwise everything in the above post is more or less spot-on.

Quote:
The rest of the state is FLAT like Florida. Rhode Island is also flat, too.
Fun Fact: the highest point in RI is higher than the highest point in Florida!!!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:50 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
As a New Englander myself, I view places like PA and western NY as feeling a bit Midwestern. Just the way people look, act and talk is noticeably different. It's not normal IMO. Southern NJ people even seem mildly southern to us.
Unfortunately, however, this seems to be based on a lack of sophisticated knowledge regarding more localized accents/cultures in other parts of the country.

I think there is a view among many New Englanders, in my experience, that anything outside of New England has "Southern culture," which is rather odd.

Quote:
New England in general is much more quaint, historical feeling and prettier than NY/NJ/PA, in my opinion, although the Adirondacks, Hudson River valley, Great Lakes and mountains of PA hold their own. NJ has no visible natural beauty unless you go to northwestern NJ. The rest of the state is FLAT like Florida. Rhode Island is also flat, too.
I think images strongly drive popular perception, but at the very least, Southern New England (e.g., MA, CT and RI) and the Mid-Atlantic (e.g., NY, NJ, PA, DE and MD) are very similar and comparable in many ways.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:10 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I lived in Vermont and PA. I feel geographically, northern PA is similar to VT, NH and Upstate New York in a lot of ways. The culture and attitudes are very different though.
I believe that geologically the Poconos and the Catskills are related to each other. They certainly look the similar to each other to me. However you do see more pine trees as you go further north.

I have always felt at home in Pennsylvania. So I am curious, why do you say that the culture and attitudes of Pennsylvania are very different?

Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think there is a view among many New Englanders, in my experience, that anything outside of New England has "Southern culture," which is rather odd.
It's not surprising seeing how geographically isolated New England is compared to other parts of the country.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:46 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I believe that geologically the Poconos and the Catskills are related to each other. They certainly look the similar to each other to me. However you do see more pine trees as you go further north.

I have always felt at home in Pennsylvania. So I am curious, why do you say that the culture and attitudes of Pennsylvania are very different?
I don't quite get that either. Again, there are definitely some differences (I think there are more liberal/granola types and ex-urbanites [downstaters] in Upstate New York compared to Central Pennsylvania), but, overall, the cultures aren't substantively different.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:10 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
I don't quite get that either. Again, there are definitely some differences (I think there are more liberal/granola types and ex-urbanites [downstaters] in Upstate New York compared to Central Pennsylvania), but, overall, the cultures aren't substantively different.
Pennsylvania is much more conservative than New York State.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
You're not the only one who's noticed this. Then again, it could just be them putting the cart before the horse in terms of cultural influences. One mistake I've seen many people make (including those in New England) is assuming that Pennsylvania's culture is influenced by far-flung locales, rather than influencing those far-flung locales. Pennsylvania had a very strong colonial culture which exerted its influence on many other areas.

Basically, all the "upper South" is is colonial Southern culture modified by Pennsylvania culture. Pennsylvanians used the Great Wagon Road to settle the Shenandoah Valley, where they were also met by Virginians from the Tidewater. I occasionally refer to the Shenandoah Valley and the I-81 corridor in Virginia as either "Pennsylginia" or "Baja Pennsylvania" because many of the small towns in that area, like Staunton, Harrisonburg and Winchester seemed similar to the small towns around Harrisburg in Pennsylvania. And while Roanoke and Charlottesville are more strongly Southern, there's a bit of Pennsylvania influence in them too.

Pennsylvanians also used the Ohio River and tributaries to settle the mid-South, where they were met by Virginians and Carolinians. It's no coincidence that the general vibe I get in Tennessee is a combination of Pennsylvania and the Carolinas, or that the vibe I get in Nashville is a combination of Pittsburgh and Charlotte, at least once you get past the "Music City" reputation and enter the mundane. Goodlettsville, Hendersonville and Gallatin vaguely reminded me of the eastern suburbs of Pittsburgh, except with somewhat newer housing in places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Pennsylvania is much more conservative than New York State.
A state can be "much more conservative" than New York and still be politically moderate. Pennsylvania is more conservative than New York, New Jersey and Maryland, but more liberal than Ohio and West Virginia.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:48 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,885 times
Quote:
In general, there isn't really any sense of state pride in any of the six New England states.
I think you're expressing a Connecticut sentiment, not a New England sentiment. If you polled New Hampshirites in particular I suspect the majority would disagree with you there.

[Edit - Mainers and Vermonters would probably also disagree, but they'd be more likely to politely entertain the question]

As for Interstate exit numbers, the New York Thruway is also numbered sequentially rather than by mileage, so it's not a uniquely New England feature.

Last edited by bler144; 12-17-2014 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.