U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:35 PM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times

Advertisements

New England consists of 6 northeast states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. These states share a common identity based on a related history.

But how does that identity make these states different today from the rest of the northeast - namely New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 12:52 PM

145 posts, read 215,670 times
I think a lot of New York has that "New England" charm to it, especially upstate New York and Eastern NY bordering Western/Berkshire CT/Mass. I haven't seen much of New Jersey to really comment on that state. I've only really driven through it. But from what my NJ friend tells me, he lives in small town NJ surrounded by wilderness.

The New England states are also pretty different to each other despite the similarities in culture.
I find southern NE much different than northern NE. Mass and CT are pretty similar in my opinion. They're both fairly urbanized, yet have a lot of small New England towns (NW CT/Litchfield County and Western Mass/Berkshires, as well as those cute, charming towns along the shoreline). Towns like Sharon, Kent, Norfolk, and Salisbury CT (and other towns in that area) have that Western Mass charm to them. Fairfield County shares a lot with NY due to all of the NYers living and working there, but the rest of CT is fairly New England-ish. (despite what people think, I've never seen this so-called "Manhattan Clam Chowder" on menus in restaurants here. Pretty much every restaurant has New England Clam Chowder on the menu. Whether or not that's a Fairfield County thing, I wouldn't know. I live in NW CT.)
Vermont is similar to New Hampshire, but Vermont is also kind of its own entity and has its own culture. Maine is also this way.

Pennsylvania I also can't comment on much. I've been there, but only Gettysburg. I found it pretty different than New England. A lot more "open."

Old 09-08-2012, 01:53 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
they seem to have deeper ties to the particualar city/town not the greater region they live in even in the Suburbs people identify with there town, not the city of the region (harford, Boston, Providence, Portland ect.) Also Towns have substanial power in New England while in NY/NJ/PA it lies in Townships and Counties (exculding NYC)

Old 09-08-2012, 02:19 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,031,517 times
People there seem much more content to live in crowded, crappy old buildings that are ugly, compared to a lot of other areas.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:02 PM

56,505 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
People there seem much more content to live in crowded, crappy old buildings that are ugly, compared to a lot of other areas.
Really? Please explain this.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:30 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,662,662 times
Quote:
Um...a lot of New England isn't crowded. It's very open and rural in most cases. The crappy old buildings just show how New Englanders value their culture, which I respect. However, I do agree with you that a lot of them are old, crumbling, and ugly. I prefer the glass penthouses in Manhattan over any place I've ever been to/lived in in New England (born and raised in CT/NY).

Old 09-08-2012, 05:45 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Quote:
id rather be in an ugly building than a dangerous neigborhood, everystate in New England is safer than Arizona.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:08 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
id rather be in an ugly building than a dangerous neigborhood, everystate in New England is safer than Arizona.
I beg to differ. I moved from Mass. to the Southwest and live in a beautiful neighborhood. You probably haven't even been to Arizona. Lets compare Scottsdale or Tempe with Lynn, Mattapan, or Springfield shall we?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:02 PM

56,505 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I beg to differ. I moved from Mass. to the Southwest and live in a beautiful neighborhood. You probably haven't even been to Arizona. Lets compare Scottsdale or Tempe with Lynn, Mattapan, or Springfield shall we?
To be fair, the 2 SW locales are suburbs, where Lynn is a very urban suburb, Mattapan is a notorious neighborhood in Boston and Springfield is a center city.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be fair, the 2 SW locales are suburbs, where Lynn is a very urban suburb, Mattapan is a notorious neighborhood in Boston and Springfield is a center city.
To be fair, the poster was writing off the whole state of Arizona as if it were as dangerous as Tijuana or Juarez and needed an obvious counter point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or