Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
While it isn't as obvious, you can easily find "old South charm" in both Atlanta and Charlotte...it's all over the place, but it just isn't the first thing that catches your eye.
If there is any Old South in Atlanta, it is most likely very subtle. To me, Atlanta is to the South what Chicago is to the Midwest. It is the big giant that everyone answers to. Atlanta doesn't feel like a southern city. However, if I go out to the faraway exurbs(such as those in Paulding County or Barrow County), it does feel very southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM

811 posts, read 1,053,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Very true! For all its proud autonomy in legend, the typical "Texas accent" (there isn't really one, but the one spoken in rural West Texas is the one usually presented as being such), is just one sub-variety of what is broadly known as Southern American English.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Map.jpg/800px-

Most of those speakers with the stereotypical "Texas twang" would be right at home linguistically in eastern Tennessee or north Alabama (where a disproportionate number of the original west Texas pioneers came from).

A noteable story was related to me once by a friend of mine who was originally from north Alabama. Her husband (also from that area), got a job in south Mississippi, and it is where they have resided for over 30 years. Anyway, she told me that when she first got a job with the local school district, a native of the area asked where she was from originally.

She good-naturedly asked "What makes you think I am not from here?"

The other lady replied "Because you just don't sound like you are. From the South, definitely, but not south Mississippi."

My friend laughed and replied "No, I am from north Alabama."

The other nodded knowingly and said "I was going to guess either north Alabama...or Texas!"

It seemed that the southern accent faded once I got to Pecos, Texas, westward. However, I also noted the southern accent in places like Hobbs, New Mexico.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
It seemed that the southern accent faded once I got to Pecos, Texas, westward. However, I also noted the southern accent in places like Hobbs, New Mexico.
Once again, what you say/observed, is (IMHO) right on the mark. The trans-pecos area of Texas has always been an anomoly in terms of connections to even the rest of Texas, much less the South at large. And accent/dialect is definitely one of them!

But the Hobbs, NM area (along the far eastern border with Texas)? It was largely settled and shaped by Texans/Southerners, and the lingering influence -- at least -- is still there. Good posts!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
You can find the Southern accent as far north as Ohio. I remember watching a prison documentary which took place in Ohio. Alot of the prisoners had southern accents, even if they were from as far north as Canton or Akron.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You can find the Southern accent as far north as Ohio. I remember watching a prison documentary which took place in Ohio. Alot of the prisoners had southern accents, even if they were from as far north as Canton or Akron.
I've noticed that as well. Not so much Akron, but the Columbus area, sure. It seems to be quite common in the south-central and southeastern Ohio area, northward to parts of the Columbus area where it crests in a minority of its population. On the other hand, it isn't as noticeable in southwestern Ohio near Cincinnati, even into to far northern Kentucky right across the river. Then it seems to move further north again into parts of southern Indiana cresting in a minority of the population around Indianapolis. Illinois seems far less southern, with pretty much only the small area south of Carbondale having a fair number of southern accent speakers.

Many Ohio residents do put off a vibe that is downright Southern.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I've noticed that as well. Not so much Akron, but the Columbus area, sure. It seems to be quite common in the south-central and southeastern Ohio area, northward to parts of the Columbus area where it crests in a minority of its population. On the other hand, it isn't as noticeable in southwestern Ohio near Cincinnati, even into to far northern Kentucky right across the river. Then it seems to move further north again into parts of southern Indiana cresting in a minority of the population around Indianapolis. Illinois seems far less southern, with pretty much only the small area south of Carbondale having a fair number of southern accent speakers.

Many Ohio residents do put off a vibe that is downright Southern.

I live in the Atlanta area, which is full of transplants, so I've met my share of Ohioans(alot of Ohio plates in Cobb County). I notice alot of people from Cincinnati have a Midwestern accent, but there is also a subtle nuance of southern accent.

Even more interesting, if you go to the Atlanta area, you can met some people who were born and raised in the Atlanta area, and don't have a southern accent.

The vibe from some Ohioans I've met has come off as Southern. I was in the 6th grade. There was a girl I met from Ohio. She sounded very southern. I could never understand how though. I have another friend, who is from Marietta,OH. He has grown up in the suburbs of Atlanta, just as I did. What is interesting is that he has a very southern accent.

I often think about how I turned out. I'm African-American, I was born in a southern city(New Orleans), lived in the Southwest(TX), Pacific Northwest(Seattle area) and I have spent a large part of my childhood in the South(spent middle school and high school in the exurbs of Atlanta). I have a Midwestern father(Wisconsin native and my mother is southern. How it ended up working is like this. I don't have a southern accent. People from northern states tell me I sound like I'm from the Upper Midwest or Canada. It is interesting how things can work out.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I live in the Atlanta area, which is full of transplants, so I've met my share of Ohioans(alot of Ohio plates in Cobb County). I notice alot of people from Cincinnati have a Midwestern accent, but there is also a subtle nuance of southern accent.

Even more interesting, if you go to the Atlanta area, you can met some people who were born and raised in the Atlanta area, and don't have a southern accent.

The vibe from some Ohioans I've met has come off as Southern. I was in the 6th grade. There was a girl I met from Ohio. She sounded very southern. I could never understand how though. I have another friend, who is from Marietta,OH. He has grown up in the suburbs of Atlanta, just as I did. What is interesting is that he has a very southern accent.

I often think about how I turned out. I'm African-American, I was born in a southern city(New Orleans), lived in the Southwest(TX), Pacific Northwest(Seattle area) and I have spent a large part of my childhood in the South(spent middle school and high school in the exurbs of Atlanta). I have a Midwestern father(Wisconsin native and my mother is southern. How it ended up working is like this. I don't have a southern accent. People from northern states tell me I sound like I'm from the Upper Midwest or Canada. It is interesting how things can work out.
I live in the Atlanta area as well, as the accent has become diluted in many locations. Others, however, are just as southern as they always have been.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I live in the Atlanta area as well, as the accent has become diluted in many locations. Others, however, are just as southern as they always have been.
I lived in metro Atlanta since 1996, so I have no idea who it was in person before than. When I moved to Marietta in 1996, the people who had southern accents were mostly the elderly. Alot of people 30 and younger didn't have the southern accent.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,369 times
I find it hard to believe that anyone from Ohio has a southern accent. Anyone have any videos?

Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I find it hard to believe that anyone from Ohio has a southern accent. Anyone have any videos?

Hard Time - Prison City - YouTube

Listen to this documentary and you'll find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.