Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 02:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
New England and Upper Midwest cities
Not Upper Midwest. Tons of Southerners in Chicago, Detroit, Indy and the like. There was huge Appalachian migration of whites, and even bigger migration of Delta blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 02:57 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
All of them in equal amounts, I would imagine. Southerners just don't really move north. It's always ultra-bizarre, Twilight Zone-ish to hear Southern accents up here.
I hear tons of Southern accents in Michigan and Ohio. There are whole towns that are heavily southern (like Taylor, MI, jokingly called Taylortucky).

There has been huge Southern migration northwards. Probably almost half the people in Metro Detroit have some roots in the South.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:21 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not Upper Midwest. Tons of Southerners in Chicago, Detroit, Indy and the like. There was huge Appalachian migration of whites, and even bigger migration of Delta blacks.
Upper Midwest outside of the Great Lakes region.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my two cents worth View Post
Northerners come down to the south to get away from the very a%€££ole attitudes that they lived with up north. But guess what, they bring the same attitudes with them. Leopards don't change their spots. Given time they will destroy the southern culture.
But Southerners didn't ruin the North, did they. Did Southerners not bring their genteel and superior moral attitudes with them? Or are they weak-willed and instantly assimilate to the a%€££ole attitudes up North?

I don't get it. Maybe you are just a thin skinned bigot? Could that be it? But if true, that would mean you are an a%€££ole, too...

Old 08-30-2015, 09:16 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Per Wikipedia:

The term "Yankee" and its contracted form "Yank" have several interrelated meanings, all referring to people from the United States. Its various senses depend on the scope of context. Most broadly:

Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

Old 08-31-2015, 10:37 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
But let's be real, have we ever heard of a NYer wanting to move to those places?
Nashville is a Totally different Beast and has no place in this at all, its a Entertainment and Music Center and Tons of people move their from other places. Even people from NY that get into the Country music Business move to Nashville. Memphis and B Ham, not so much...

Old 08-31-2015, 10:56 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
All of them in equal amounts, I would imagine. Southerners just don't really move north. It's always ultra-bizarre, Twilight Zone-ish to hear Southern accents up here.

Ever hear of the Great Migration? Are you kidding me that southerners never moved north? They forever changed the cities of the north. Some how this is just ignored by all the southerners on this board. We got millions of them in the first half of the 20th century. They just weren't white southerners. They were still southern in culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...rican_American)

The Great Migration was the movement of 6 million African Americans out of the rural Southern United States to the urban Northeast, Midwest, and West that occurred between 1910 and 1970.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Southern definition of Yankees = anybody not from the South. Don't like it? Don't come here.
That's it, exactly, minus the insulting "backwards'' reference. Stick with the smaller cities, such as Montgomery, Memphis, Birmingham, Chattanooga, Nashville, New Orleans.

Only when they are tired of snow and want to retire.

Lol, and we call southerners rednecks and hillbillies. So there. And believe it or not, southerners do still move north. I work with a few of them. Can't get any more southern than Satsuma, AL now can you. My elbow surgery therapist was from TN and she had zero desire to ever go back South. Get over yourselves you are not all that.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:41 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol, and we call southerners rednecks and hillbillies. So there.
Yes, we know. Would you like to hear what we call you? It isn't as civil in many circles.

Quote:
And believe it or not, southerners do still move north. I work with a few of them. Can't get any more southern than Satsuma, AL now can you. My elbow surgery therapist was from TN and she had zero desire to ever go back South.
The transfer of wealth and population South over the last few decades speaks for itself, and it's only increasing. The numbers absolutely BLOW AWAY anything occurring in the opposite direction.

Quote:
Get over yourselves you are not all that.
LOL! And neither are you. You are a collective group of has-beens living in the stagnant glory of your long last past - yet falling farther and farther behind peer Metro's. You may want to mention this to both the people and companies in your neck of the woods. They are both voting with their feet, and it shows no sign of slowing down.

The only influx of 'new blood' you have are rent-averse bargain hunting New Yorkers, and a minimal amount of international immigrants. Get a clue Tom, and get your own house in order before lashing out at a superior region.

Last edited by JMatl; 09-01-2015 at 12:54 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 07:57 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,475 times
As a native South Carolinian who loves the south I honestly have no problem with most of the transplants that move here because they are doing so to enjoy and share in the laid back southern lifestyle we have down here. My problem comes in when you have those that move down with this superior snotty attitude...that whole "you people down here just dont get it" type of thing and wants to change what the south is all about to how they perceive it should be. Look, if you want to come down and enjoy our way of life we welcome you with open arms and are glad to have you, if not that's fine, but don't bash the south because YOU don't like it. I wouldn't move to NYC and call out all the problems they have just because I didn't care for it and we expect the same thing down here.

Also please note that College Football is a big deal down here and we are crazy about it. I would advise those moving here to not judge that or seem perplexed by how southerners can make such a out of a sport because lets face it...Packers, Jets, Cubs, Bears, Patriots, Eagles, Phillies, Red Sox, Raiders, and yes Yankees fans do the exact same thing we just do it on Saturdays rather than Sundays and dress up for it!

Last edited by ColaClemsonFan11; 09-01-2015 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.