Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,534 times

Advertisements

Recently a friend relocated to Seattle & told me it's one of the least religious places in the states. Which leads to me to ask - nationally, what cities are the least religious? Thank you for your responses.

Last edited by JMT; 09-13-2012 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: "International" comparisons are not allowed in the General U.S. forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM

38 posts, read 65,179 times
This is a really interesting map and it's a little surprising to me. No surprise with the Pacific Northwest being less religious, but I'm a little surprised by some of the areas in the eastern U.S. that come in low, specifically in West Virginia, eastern Kentucky and parts of Georgia.

I always considered the South to be the Bible Belt, but judging by this map, it is actually the Great Plains.

To answer your question, I would nominate Seattle, Portland and Phoenix as the least religious large cities in the U.S.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../adherents.gif

Old 09-13-2012, 02:05 PM

Thank you for the map & your response! Interesting. All places I've considered moving!

Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Recently a friend relocated to Seattle & told me it's one of the least religious places in the states. Which leads to me to ask - nationally & internationally, what cities are the least religious? Thank you for your responses.
You are correct. If you have a shred of religious and conservative in you, the PNW is not for you. In the PNW, it's standard issue to be "spiritual" and liberal. SEA and PDX are the least churched major cities in America, from what I've read/heard.

Sure, the Intermountain West and PNW is so self-reliant and isolated, that they worship trees, mountains, and their own self-sufficiency.

The map posted above is excellent and predictable. There are a few surprises, like vast parts of Florida.
I'm not a religious fanatic, but living in places where you are branded as "uncool" because you adhere to a traditional, and somewhat conservative, religious sect is ... well ... depressing.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not a religious fanatic, but living in places where you are branded as "uncool" because you adhere to a traditional, and somewhat conservative, religious sect is ... well ... depressing.
Your opinion, in which I respectfully disagree with, sir. After having religion rammed down my throat & having lived in religious pockets, what you described sounds like heaven. May you find your utopia & hopefully I'll find mine.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 PM

178 posts, read 583,192 times
I have read several state websites that claim that Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine are the least religious states. In numerous survey's they have come out the least, along with the PNW. I have lived in New England all my life (besides the past few years in PA) and not once has any one asked me -ever- what religion I was, (unless it was a topic I brought up) try to talk to me about religion, or ask what Church I belong to etc.

In fact, it is really considered personal and rude to ask another person up there, and no one really judges, and I have not known many people who even were religious to go to Church often.

I am sure that there are a lot of people who are religious up there, but it's certainly not rammed down your throat, as you put it!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Your opinion, in which I respectfully disagree with, sir. After having religion rammed down my throat & having lived in religious pockets, what you described sounds like heaven. May you find your utopia & hopefully I'll find mine.
I completely misread your OP and mistakenly gave you rep. I thought you were looking for an answer, such that you could AVOID the non-religious places.

It's really up to you to be an adult as to how much religion you want to handle. I, too, was raised in a religion and am creative enough to set up my own boundaries in how I let it affect me, rather than being reactionary. So, please, hurry on up to the Pacific Northwest where all the people that help you at the natural foods stores look like the walking dead because they are so "spiritual" they're not even there.

Good luck to you, too.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneagle View Post
This is a really interesting map and it's a little surprising to me. No surprise with the Pacific Northwest being less religious, but I'm a little surprised by some of the areas in the eastern U.S. that come in low, specifically in West Virginia, eastern Kentucky and parts of Georgia.

I always considered the South to be the Bible Belt, but judging by this map, it is actually the Great Plains.

To answer your question, I would nominate Seattle, Portland and Phoenix as the least religious large cities in the U.S.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../adherents.gif
It seems that some of the information from the map seems to contradict information from Gallup:

Gallup: The Top 5 ‘Most Religious’ & ‘Least Religious’ States | TheBlaze.com

Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
I think the least religious cities would be out West because the northeast and south were built on Christianity as they were the first areas discovered by Europeans who were mainly Christian.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
It seems that some of the information from the map seems to contradict information from Gallup:

Gallup: The Top 5 ‘Most Religious’ & ‘Least Religious’ States | TheBlaze.com
This is perfect ... and sad. WA, OR, CO and New England. With the exception of MN (average), is there a correlation between these states and the gelid liberals driving Subarus? I think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.