Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 AM

148 posts, read 234,002 times

Advertisements

The title pretty much says it all. By ethnic, I don't mean a few Italian restaurants; I mean Indian, Ethopian, West African, Cajun, etc. etc. etc. Just a lot of variety. Also, I currently live in a place without public transport, and now that I frequently find myself at bars late at night it would be a lot more convenient not to have to worry about a designated driver. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Consider Minneapolis. The public transportation is decent, especially in the parts of town that have the highest concentration of restaurants, including ethnic restaurants. (the Twin Cities suburbs are a different story, so stick with the city itself) There's good selection of food, and while it doesn't match the biggest cities for sheer quantity and variety, the other places (LA, DC, NYC, SF, etc.) can't really be considered "affordable." Minneapolis isn't as good on the Cajun front (there's a few places, but I don't know how they stack up) but you're more than covered on the African front (lots of good African places representing many different parts of the continent)

Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,645 times
how about Philly or chicago. then again i'm from boston and I consider those places affordable.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:19 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Sacramento, perhaps? It's got a good and fairly innovative public transportation system and it's significantly more affordable than the three other major CA metros (Bay Area, the Southland, San Diego).

Old 11-11-2009, 02:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
philadelphia and chicago are the only two "affordable" ones by most peoples standards. the other true options are dc/boston/nyc/sf ...thats it....they are out of many peoples price range, but, with most things you pay for what you get give or take.
also consider toronto

Old 11-11-2009, 03:03 PM

279 posts, read 759,757 times
Agree with grapico, those cities listed are probably at the top of what you're looking for with philly and chi being the most affordable out of that list. LA, Houston, ATL will provide an okay amount of ethnic food as well (LA more so) but are more lacking in the pub transit department. Another place that is underrated and not too expensive is Pittsburgh - I have always been surprised by the amount of great grub available there. I don't really know Seattle, but I imagine it's not too bad either, especially for Asian food.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:35 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
The title pretty much says it all. By ethnic, I don't mean a few Italian restaurants; I mean Indian, Ethopian, West African, Cajun, etc. etc. etc. Just a lot of variety. Also, I currently live in a place without public transport, and now that I frequently find myself at bars late at night it would be a lot more convenient not to have to worry about a designated driver. Thanks!
There are lots of cities that could meet your criteria, but keep in mind that most public transit systems don't run 24 hours/day. NYC and certain lines in Chicago are the only ones I know of - there may be a couple of others. So the public transporation part won't help you much when you're in a bar late at night.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:50 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,462 times
Just live in a ghetto and it will be cheap.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
What's your idea of affordable? And what level of living amenities do you expect in that range?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:23 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
What about Portland? Great public transportation and is fairly affordable. Food wise I'm sure it's not as diverse as SF/NYC/etc but I'm sure they've got some decent options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.