U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,587,856 times

Advertisements

How do you deal with the biker going 10 miles an hour way out into the lane making him impossible to pass?

Bikers, what would you prefer drivers to do when you are slowing down traffic? Brush past you with a few inches of clearance? Just wait patiently until you turn off? Lay on the horn to let you know your too far out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,664,574 times
I just lay on the horn and they usually move out of the way.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:40 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,166,181 times
I just lay on the horn

Old 09-20-2012, 07:46 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
I would never drive in the middle of a land if there is traffic around. i wouldn't honk or get too close, ive seen bicyclist get startled from a sudden car horn and almost loose control, i would wait untill the other lane is clear and go around, the cyclist will probably catch up to you at the next red light anyway so there is no point in attempting to kill him.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:15 PM

180 posts, read 497,412 times
First of all, sales tax pays for most city road construction, so everyone deserves fair access to them. It's also not legal to bike on the sidewalk in many cities, so the law in these places has identified the street as the appropriate place for cycling.

Secondly, and be honest, most people in cars don't expect seeing something as vulnerable as a biker on the road, which means they generally aren't as careful about driving as they should be. The amount of times I've been nearly hit by someone making a right turn, but not also looking to the right before turning is astounding. Most motorists, myself included, start the right turn before looking to the right.

Third, cycling in the middle of the lane is the safest place to be. You may think you'll blame a biker if you hit one while trying to pass, but believe me, that resolution isn't going to stand if you were to kill or seriously injure someone. You'll still be paying damages no matter how righteous you feel.

Lastly, many cities have a required passing distance, and usually what I've seen is 3 ft minimum. So "passing within inches" is clearly unsafe - and you probably don't need a law to tell you that. It's easy to get startled by a horn or hit an obstruction in the road while on a bike, which might cause a cyclist to swerve under a close car. I do know of 2 women who were killed by being startled when getting honked at, so it's not hypothetical.

On the other hand, I have seen bikers that do not obey traffic laws, and so they're taking their lives into their own hands with that. There are probably as many unruly car drivers as bikers, and I am not sure there is a remedy for that. While cycling, I always obey traffic laws, and the only times I have faced any kind of danger is from drivers with road rage. Driving a 2 ton vehicle and getting pissed off is not something to blame on someone else.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:23 PM

69 posts, read 154,608 times
Isn't it their right to use the whole lane if they need to?

Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsoman View Post
Isn't it their right to use the whole lane if they need to?
Yes.

But once a cyclist decides to ride as a road vehicle, he/she will need to follow all other rules of the road which includes stopping at signs and lights, yielding to pedestrians, riding with the flow of traffic.

We have had a rash of accidents in Orange County lately. Two deaths (one by a hit and run)

Here is a very good article regarding cyclists/motorists on sharing the road:

Deadly trend of a cyclist killed a month continues | cyclists, killed, year - Home - The Orange County Register

The best rules:
Be patient with drivers who are jerks. You're better than that.
Be patient with cyclists who are jerks. You're better than that.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:16 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,177,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The best rules:
Be patient with drivers who are jerks. You're better than that.
Be patient with cyclists who are jerks. You're better than that.
Threads like this usually go on and on for pages upon pages. And yet if people would just follow the advice of this post, none of it would be necessary.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,201,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
Third, cycling in the middle of the lane is the safest place to be.
no, cycling somewhere that's not on the friggin highway is the safest place to be

around here it boggles my mind that people will ride their bikes on narrow 45mph two-lane roads.

i have some concern for my own safety, so its hard to understand what these people are thinking. They don't put "He had the right of way" on your tombstone.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM

1,245 posts, read 756,766 times
Those ones that are on bicycles scare the h@ll out of me...I have seen these suicidal idiots on the tiny shoulders on 2 way highways that large vehicles going 55+mph speeds... Get some lights on those things! Oh and look out for yourself!
Stay off the busy tiny city streets too! If you can't keep up with the speed limit, GTFO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or