U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 AM

34 posts, read 55,448 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I'm graduating from college soon and Im trying to decide between
two cities to move to. The cities are Houston and Chicago.
First some info about me. I was born in Dallas but Ive lived
in Minneapolis since I was seven. I have relatives that live in Dallas so
I've gone their for holidays and summer. Dallas is the only Texas city I know
well. I've been to Chicago once about ten years ago on a family vacation.
I really loved the city even though I was only there two days.

I'm thinking of these two cities for many reasons.
I want to live in a city with lots of diversity, a reasonable cost of living,
strong culture(lots of museums and libraries) good restaurants, nightlife and shopping.
So Chicago is the obvious choice but there are some things making me think about Houston.

One being that its in the state I was born in so I'm interested in
living there to reconnect with it. Another reason is I've never been to
Houston nor do I know much about it so its like a mystery to me and I'd want
to go there to see what its like. I know so much about Chicago I think it may
not be that exciting to move their.

Another big factor in this is I don't own a car. I rely on public transportation
to get around which is another reason why I'm considering Chicago because
of its transit system and I don't know what Houston offers as far a mass transit.

If anyone can offer insight on this I would appriciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 AM

21,230 posts, read 30,461,228 times
Chicago wins hands down in my opinion, no contest. Houston by and large is an automobile city, even with it's transit system in place. Chicago has the walkability factor with dense inner city neighborhoods where transit can be avoided on a nice day whereas Houston has little if any areas like that.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,826,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsja View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm graduating from college soon and Im trying to decide between
two cities to move to. The cities are Houston and Chicago.
First some info about me. I was born in Dallas but Ive lived
in Minneapolis since I was seven. I have relatives that live in Dallas so
I've gone their for holidays and summer. Dallas is the only Texas city I know
well. I've been to Chicago once about ten years ago on a family vacation.
I really loved the city even though I was only there two days.

I'm thinking of these two cities for many reasons.
I want to live in a city with lots of diversity, a reasonable cost of living,
strong culture(lots of museums and libraries) good restaurants, nightlife and shopping.
So Chicago is the obvious choice but there are some things making me think about Houston.

One being that its in the state I was born in so I'm interested in
living there to reconnect with it. Another reason is I've never been to
Houston nor do I know much about it so its like a mystery to me and I'd want
to go there to see what its like. I know so much about Chicago I think it may
not be that exciting to move their.

Another big factor in this is I don't own a car. I rely on public transportation
to get around which is another reason why I'm considering Chicago because
of its transit system and I don't know what Houston offers as far a mass transit.

If anyone can offer insight on this I would appriciate it.
I would've suggested either city, until you mentioned that you didn't have a car. Houston does have walkable neighborhoods and public transportation, but, like any other Sunbelt city, having your own car allows you to make the most out of living there.

I'd go with Chicago, for the time being. Houston isn't going anywhere.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,929,861 times
Without a car Chicago is definitely the better option. If you can deal with the cold winters, but since you lived in Minneapolis that shouldn't be a problem at all.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:09 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,736,845 times
I'd rather live in Chicago.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:09 AM

1,795 posts, read 2,573,039 times
Both cities are good, though I would go with Chicago first.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:48 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,029,607 times
I would suggest Chicago, especially without ever seeing Houston before (although you could still really like it).

Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,273,191 times
Chicago is more of an invigorating urban environment, with a lot more character. A new college graduate will find much more of interest in this larger, faster and more vibrant city. If you were looking for a place to start or raise a family, Houston would be the better choice.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,826,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Chicago is more of an invigorating urban environment, with a lot more character. A new college graduate will find much more of interest in this larger, faster and more vibrant city. If you were looking for a place to start or raise a family, Houston would be the better choice.
Single college graduate here, who is more than happy to be in Houston.

I don't know why people act like Sunbelt cities are just for families and that any single people living here are about ready to blow their brains out...or that Chicago couldn't be as great a place to raise families. Each city has their own thing going on, and someone could easily prefer one over the other.

Oh, damn. I had to go and criticize someone for posting their opinions as facts. The "homer" accusations will be rolling in, any minute now.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:38 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,663,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Single college graduate here, who is more than happy to be in Houston.

I don't know why people act like Sunbelt cities are just for families and that any single people living here are about ready to blow their brains out...or that Chicago couldn't be as great a place to raise families. Each city has their own thing going on, and someone could easily prefer one over the other.

Oh, damn. I had to go and criticize someone for posting their opinions as facts. The "homer" accusations will be rolling in, any minute now.
Since you need to rely on transit, go with Chicago. How about Atlanta? In a league with Houston and Dallas (which you know), and has great transit.

Chicago is just too damn cold, for too long, though. In-town living isn't for everyone, even upon graduating from college. I need more space and quiet. Atlanta was great this way, because you could live in the suburbs and not be considered a geek or boring, and living in the nice newer apartment complexes was the norm for singles who had decent jobs. Back to Chicago and Houston, I think I'd go Houston by a slim margin, for me. When a person has to finally move to the suburbs, Chicago's suburbs are outright bleak ... especially in winter ... the pale brick ranch houses with bare trees and snow on the ground in every direction for months.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-22-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or